Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist a cheater?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    ? Watson's not decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    To be fair, I'm actually starting to think Watto's a better player than I gave him credit for. He's got a fairly good technique and has done a doing a good job at No.7 in the WC. Still think he's weak of mind, an ave bowler and lazy fielder so still don't rate him that much though tbh

Magical moment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Magical moment.
    Looks like I must have got caught up in the romance of Australia's road to winning the WC...still think he's **** tbh

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post

4. Did it affect the outcome of the match ? Those who think so need a visit to a doctor with a couch !
    Eh? The guy scored the highest individual score in a WC final, obviously there's no way to prove how much using a squash ball affected his performance but judging from Gilly's reaction when he scored his 100 i would think it had at least some effect.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    He thinks it had some effect, without doubt. And it might well have done. But we can't be close to certain of it - it's not like Gilchrist has never had lean-ish spells which have ended with a very large bang before.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He thinks it had some effect, without doubt. And it might well have done. But we can't be close to certain of it - it's not like Gilchrist has never had lean-ish spells which have ended with a very large bang before.
    The fact that he himself recognised it as a major factor in his turn around of form is good enough for me...IMO he was the best person to judge if it helped him or not... And his jubilant recognition of it(when he scored his 100 and signalling to the Physio and his subsequent statements to that effect) is good enough for me ...

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    The fact that he himself recognised it as a major factor in his turn around of form is good enough for me...IMO he was the best person to judge if it helped him or not... And his jubilant recognition of it(when he scored his 100 and signalling to the Physio and his subsequent statements to that effect) is good enough for me ...
    To be fair I think for its helpfulness to be truely tested then it would need to be used more than in this isolated innings, if brilliant knocks sprout up every because of it. Then maybe.

correct me if i'm wrong, but hadn't he been using it for the whole tournament?

Thought i'd read that somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Eh? The guy scored the highest individual score in a WC final, obviously there's no way to prove how much using a squash ball affected his performance but judging from Gilly's reaction when he scored his 100 i would think it had at least some effect.
    No one has yet said that they KNOW/HAVE CHECKED/ARE SURE the innovation halps in anything except helping him correct his grip. And that is not and will never be outlawed. Someone may tomorrow (purely hypothetically) decide to put glue on his laft hand glove or a double sided tale on it and bat hande for the same effect. No one can object to that.

As for Gilchrist's showing the glove to the dressing room its perfectly understandable. Just imagine the scenario. He and some of his Aussie mates have been discussing his batting. He or someone else pointed out that he was bringing his right hand too much into his shots. No corrective measure was working and then someone suggested this.

He tried it (maybe first in the nets) and he got a hundred. Surely he would wave it to his mates either to say yes I was right or yes you were right or something to that effect.

How does it prove that it helps in getting mis hits go further.

BTW, the one thing that DEFINITELY makes mis hits go further is modern bats and another thing that makes mis hits go for six is smaller boundaries. No one seems to be complaining. There is a strong case for not reducing boundaries at least.
    Last edited by SJS; 12-05-2007 at 01:54 AM.

Gilly only used the squash ball in the final, but even if the squash ball improves his grip how is it any different from wearing inners inside the gloves which also improves a batsman's grip on the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post

No only in the Final. We wouldn't be having this discussion if that were the case.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    No only in the Final. We wouldn't be having this discussion if that were the case.
    \]]

This is the first time that Gilly used it in the WC according to Gilly himself...he has used it once before in a match, for WA vs Qld last summer. Guess the result - another hundred!

Listening to a Bracken interview a few days ago, he was not even aware that Gilly was going to use the squash ball and seemed to conclude that it was a last minute decision to use it.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    how is it any different from wearing inners inside the gloves which also improves a batsman's grip on the bat.
    The "gripe on the grip" appears to be built on the fact that the squash ball (made of rubber) aborbs the vibrations (particularly when the batsman is beaten and the ball does not hit the sweetspot) and then helps transform this kinetic energy back to the ball...so the mi**** travels a lot further. Whereas the inner glove is a purely comfort element - better grip and sweat absorber, its not a performance enhancing device.

From Ashantha De Mel's pretty hard hitting comments, it looks as if the SL Board will be taking this issue up with the ICC at the next meeting in June.

Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    \]]

This is the first time that Gilly used it in the WC according to Gilly himself...he has used it once before in a match, for WA vs Qld last summer. Guess the result - another hundred!

Listening to a Bracken interview a few days ago, he was not even aware that Gilly was going to use the squash ball and seemed to conclude that it was a last minute decision to use it.
    Was that a Pura Cup Match ?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post

He used it in the nets for the whole tournment. I don't understand why a batsmen would use different equipment in the nets and then not use it in the game. It surely is going to effect the way you bat, as it would make you feel like your missing something everytime you bat.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

No it wasn't a Pura cup game, it was limited over game where Gilly scored that 100 against QLD.

I guess the squash ball would only help a batsman who holds the bat like Gilly.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information