Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: So the tournament's too long, eh???

Banned
    Come back C_C and KaZaHoLiC....all is forgiven!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Come back C_C and KaZaHoLiC....all is forgiven!
    ?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Right, total circles here. You haven't really brought up any new points besides the CT one, which imo should be scrapped and is abit of a joke in itself.
    exactly, and you want the world cup to turn into joke like that too?

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    exactly, and you want the world cup to turn into joke like that too?
    What? The CT should be scrapped because there is no point to it and is just a revenue raiser for the ICC or whoever. Just because the CT doesn't have minnows, doesn't make it a joke. It's a joke all on its own for a distinct set of reasons. If the T20 WC didn't have minnows it would still be a joke as well.

What? The CT should be scrapped because there is no point to it and is just a revenue raiser for the ICC or whoever. Just because the CT doesn't have minnows, doesn't make it a joke. It's a joke all on its own for a distinct set of reasons. If the T20 WC didn't have minnows it would still be a joke as well.
    yeah kind of because it people would be like whats the "world" part for. just call it the 20/20 championship. but yeah i agree i dont like the ct either but i'll never ever agree with you that a world cup shouldn't have minnows.

yeah kind of because it people would be like whats the "world" part for. just call it the 20/20 championship. but yeah i agree i dont like the ct either but i'll never ever agree with you that a world cup shouldn't have minnows.
    Fair enough, as I said I do respect your support for them and passion on the issue.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Yeah, "expansion" as a mechanism for the survival of the game is really just smoke and mirrors. The game was probably at it's strongest ever in the 1980s, when there were only eight test nations. Why? Because the cricket was good. The countries were all more or less even, there was a ton of quality players and the game was a great spectacle. Having eight, or sixteen, or a hundred countries at the game's top table is never going to keep the game alive unless they "mach shau".
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

not all of the eight countries we that strong then either such as sri lanka which was kind of part of expansion as it would be with canada if they get going.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Apples and oranges. Canada (and indeed, all the other minnows) is not comparable as no-one has heard of, let alone cares about, cricket in the home country. Sri Lanka were obvious candidates for test status due to the existing infrastructure and enthusiasm for the game. The same applies to Bangladesh now, but none of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Apples and oranges. Canada (and indeed, all the other minnows) is not comparable as no-one has heard of, let alone cares about, cricket in the home country. Sri Lanka were obvious candidates for test status due to the existing infrastructure and enthusiasm for the game. The same applies to Bangladesh now, but none of the others.
    Exactly. Expansion to Bangladesh and indeed Sri Lanka was based on a large interest in cricket already existing within the country and needing to be nurtured. Expansion to Canada for example is a completely different situation, because we are doing it backwards in effect - giving them international exposure and hoping that brings public attention to the game. It may work in the long run, it may not - but we're compromising the game in the meantime while other countries play against a bunch of expats and no-hopers that no-one actually follows. I support the development and a country like Bangladesh and hell, even a country like Ireland. But countries like Canada where interest and skill level is low, or countries like Bermuda where the population and infrastructure is just too weak - just really shouldn't be playing at the highest level IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Yeah, "expansion" as a mechanism for the survival of the game is really just smoke and mirrors. The game was probably at it's strongest ever in the 1980s, when there were only eight test nations. Why? Because the cricket was good. The countries were all more or less even, there was a ton of quality players and the game was a great spectacle. Having eight, or sixteen, or a hundred countries at the game's top table is never going to keep the game alive unless they "mach shau".
    South Africa didn't play cricket in the 80's

Well bermuda's the only top associate with cricket as the national sport, while from what I read canada interest level is growing now but yeah expansion is happening, like? Afghanstan. And unless the terrorist gets hold of that country again it looks to have a bright future with influences from Pakistan.

Well bermuda's the only top associate with cricket as the national sport, while from what I read canada interest level is growing now but yeah expansion is happening, like? Afghanstan. And unless the terrorist gets hold of that country again it looks to have a bright future with influences from Pakistan.
    Nah, there still is too little interest in Canada and there is no future with the sport there. The current team is full of expats and once they're gone, with no proper domestic system in place, unless they can find new expats, the game is finished there. Bermuda has a population of 60,000 so even thinking anything will ever come out of there is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Exactly. Expansion to Bangladesh and indeed Sri Lanka was based on a large interest in cricket already existing within the country and needing to be nurtured. Expansion to Canada for example is a completely different situation, because we are doing it backwards in effect - giving them international exposure and hoping that brings public attention to the game. It may work in the long run, it may not - but we're compromising the game in the meantime while other countries play against a bunch of expats and no-hopers that no-one actually follows. I support the development and a country like Bangladesh and hell, even a country like Ireland. But countries like Canada where interest and skill level is low, or countries like Bermuda where the population and infrastructure is just too weak - just really shouldn't be playing at the highest level IMO.
    Yeah, good posts.

Nah, there still is too little interest in Canada and there is no future with the sport there. The current team is full of expats and once they're gone, with no proper domestic system in place, unless they can find new expats, the game is finished there. Bermuda has a population of 60,000 so even thinking anything will ever come out of there is laughable.
    yeah i know, but people now know more about cricket than they did before is all i'm saying but canada looking isn't looking to have a bright future in cricket right now and that's the case with any team made up mostly of expats.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information