• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus Media Panel Attack Ponting & Team Behaviour

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
The BackPage Show Media Panel in Australia took the knife to Ponting & the Aus Team's poor behaviour on its show (12 Mar 2007). The panel is made up of Peter Fitzsimons(former Wallaby great), Tracy Holmes (ABC sports reporter) and is hosted by Mike Gibson.

Its refreshing to see this sort of honest discussion in the Aus press....most of the cricket media is made up of former Aus Test & ODI players and they all rally around the Aus team and will normally not step out of line...it took some non cricket media types on this panel to discuss openly on Aus TV what the rest of the world feel - that the Aus team are poorly behaved and this cannot be tolerated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLOVv_Tdqoo

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Obvious you're trolling given the other thread, so I won't bother arguing the point, but geez The Back Page is a crap show. Nobody on it knows a thing about cricket, and the discussion of it on there is a joke.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah fell asleep with the TV on one night and woke up to it in the morning. Thought it was a bad dream tbh.

Blaze

Banned
Australia have actually been excellent from this season's Ashes onwards. I have been surprised at how good their behaviour has been recently.

Before that there was a period of 3-4 years where they were disgraceful.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's with this guy and youtube? Unnecessary IMO, all this kind of thing regarding Ponting and team behavoiur has been said before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agree with Fuller. As far as cricket debate goes, the Back Page is a rubbish show. For about three weeks in a row, they dedicated their whole cricket segment to complaining about the fact that Stuart Clark wasn't in the ODI side. Enough said.

pup11

International Coach
This thread has just been started by someone who wants to pull the Aussies down in one way or the other, since this bloke can't criticise their on-field performance atm hence he is targeting the behaviour issue.

And reading the views of other posters its pretty clear that this Back Page show is nothing but crap.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
juz to clarify what I had meant to say in the other thread which is now closed.... I just think refs are a little more lenient towards Australia and South Africa because it is kinda somehow (wrongly, IMHO) accepted that these teams always "sledge". But sides like India and Pakistan or Windies don't, at least not as much as those other sides. So when a team like India sledge as much as Australia do, they penalize India but let off Australia.... I guess that is the problem. Mike Procter once actually said something like "yeah, but you expect Australia and South AFrica to do like that".......... That is the problem and that is the one that needs to be addressed.

Craig

World Traveller
Honestly people need to get over this.

I'm so sick of this bull**** that people keep making threads about. So they won't be inducted into Sainthood anytime soon, but no other team is perfect. We have been through this so many times it isn't funny.

andyc

Hahaha. I've never heard of that show in my life, and I'm clearly not missing much. What a joke.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Since when has anybody listened to anything Peter FitzSimons has to say.

At least when Sam Kevovich and Sam Newman are loud and obnoxious about something, they usually have a good point. FitzSimons nevr has had a good point. Ever.

social

Peter Fitzsimons - absolute thug on the rugby field who now demands that players from sport other than union should be angels

Tracey Holmes - clueless

Gibbo - Mr Bland

Mister Wright

The Aussie's behaviour towards Australian supporters at the group games was nothing short of pathetic. Considering we had flown half way around the world to see them play and only two players in Bracken and Tait can be bothered to come over to where the majority of Australian supporters were to sign autographs it was very disapointing.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Aussie's behaviour towards Australian supporters at the group games was nothing short of pathetic. Considering we had flown half way around the world to see them play and only two players in Bracken and Tait can be bothered to come over to where the majority of Australian supporters were to sign autographs it was very disapointing.

Maybe they were still reeling in shock after the surprise Lankan tactic of not playing their 3 best bowlers.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good but not great - the curse on Waugh's sledging legacy (The Age, Melbourne,'03)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/15/1052885347018.html

"According to a recent survey, 52 per cent of Australians believe the current team is the best in the nation's history. Far fewer would call it the greatest. There is a subtle distinction.
To be the best means scoring more runs more quickly and regularly than anyone else. To be the greatest means doing it with a certain charm and grace, too. It means filling your boots with runs and your fans' hearts with pride.
It is the great paradox of Waugh's leadership: his team has reinvented the game with its clean-hitting approach, yet repulsed many of its followers with its boorishness. Waugh has created a monster.

"When I played, captains took a more dominant role in ensuring the spirit of the game wasn't broken," says Brian Booth, an Australian captain of the 1960s. "This sledging, I just think it's a cancer . . . It's unnecessary. Our kids look up to our top players: they want to be like their heroes. That concerns me more than anything. I must confess I lose a bit of interest when they behave that way."