Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hopes named as cover for Watson

Hopes named as cover for Watson

International Debutant
    dont think it should matter as HODGE should play

Hopes would be better for the balance of the side for sure. Not entirely convinced about his quality in ODIs yet though, but he could easily prove me wrong.

Predictable and sensible choice, though i would rather play Hopes instead of Hodge,TBH.

But for that to happen wouldn't the Aussies have to drop Watson from the Australian squad?

Quality of Hopes is of course questionable, but atleast he is an all-rounder so he gives more options than Hodge.

I don't mind Hopes, but I get the feeling Jayasuriya wouldn't mind this move.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Jayasuriya would hammer Hopes around the ground. In fact, I think he's done that once or twice before already.

If you're planning on having your 5th bowler bowl to Jayasuriya though, you're already halfway there to losing the game.

Hopes would be the best option now, clearly - but he's not in the squad. Makes the selection of Clark highly ridiculous - there was always more of a chance of Watson going down than two of our fast bowlers going down at once!
    ~ Cribbage

International Debutant
    the thing is Hodge has proven he can make big knocks for us... under pressure as well (against NZ at MCG) ...

but yea Hopes adds more in bowling. i suppose it depends ... do we want to help the bowling or help the batting!!?

Hopes batting is better than Hodge bowling though..... but Hodge is actually not bits and peices.. i dunno.... because Hopes was in awesome bowling form and a 5th bowler like him would be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    but yea Hopes adds more in bowling. i suppose it depends ... do we want to help the bowling or help the batting!!?
    Bowling IMO. Batting already has Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds, Hussey...

More than Clark [though some other fast-bowler should have been selected instead of him] i think Haddin's selection was more ridicouslous considering even if Gilly was to get injured [suddenly] then Hussey could have acted as the back-up keeper.

International Debutant
    hmmm yea Hopes would actually be a handful... as a 5th bowler

but since McGrath Bracks Tait Hogg should bowl well..... they'll attack him, then how will he go? its diff to Queensland

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    More than Clark [though some other fast-bowler should have been selected instead of him] i think Haddin's selection was more ridicouslous considering even if Gilly was to get injured [suddenly] then Hussey could have acted as the back-up keeper.
    When the squad was named, it was assumed that Gilchrist would miss the first two games and possibly the third - which was against South Africa - though. Haddin was a must in that case. Obviously Gilchrist's wife had her baby earlier than expected so he joined the squad later anyway. It really wasn't a bad selection.

The fifth fast bowler was though, IMO.

Rob, are you sure it wasn't Gilchrist just missing the first two warm-up games, and "possible the third" being the first game of the preliminary rounds? That's how I remembered it...

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Rob, are you sure it wasn't Gilchrist just missing the first two warm-up games, and "possible the third" being the first game of the preliminary rounds? That's how I remembered it...
    Hmm, possibly. I assumed the selectors wouldn't bother sending over a player just to have the best possible side for warmup fixtures though...

I remember being struck by that at the time though. And of course, they made a bit of a mention of it in the Victorian papers, seeing Haddin and White were fighting for that last spot in the end...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information