41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

19 46.34%
  • no

22 53.66%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: does the super 8 go to long

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It wouldn't add in extra games, it would deduct games from the tournament finals, which is exactly what everyone wanted after the last event.

And it'd marginalise what should never have been centred ITFP.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    You're that anti-expansion aren't you?

The idea that full members aren't allowed at the World Cup when there's so few of them is a farce.

And it would in extra games, 4 for them in fact.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    You're that anti-expansion aren't you?
    No. Expansion has little or nothing to do with World Cups.
    The idea that full members aren't allowed at the World Cup when there's so few of them is a farce.
    Which is why no-one's proposing such a thing - it'd probably concentrate minds rather better than they were in this event...
    And it would in extra games, 4 for them in fact.
    Eh?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I think he's referring to 4 extra super 8 games

ie Eng V NZ, Ire V WI, Ban V SL, Aus V SA
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No. Expansion has little or nothing to do with World Cups.
    It is far and away the best place for expansion to take place, because it is the biggest stage.

Which is why no-one's proposing such a thing - it'd probably concentrate minds rather better than they were in this event...
    You are, by having only 8 teams in the Finals.

A month of almost continuous cricket, too much? Hell, no!

I think this is a very fair system -- at the start, every team had their chance, and not one single team was knocked out by one freak result. Pak just needed to beat Ireland to stay in, while India could have beaten SL.

The best 8 teams in the tournament during the group stage have ended up in the Super 8. And now, each team gets to test itself against all the others.

There really haven't been that many dead rubbers so far, although there may be a couple around the corner. And all the minnows got at least three matches against decent opposition.

The only fair alternative I can think of would be to have a "Super 2x4" phase, with two groups of four (e.g. SuperA=A1/B2/C1/D2, SuperB=A2/B1/C2/D1) and only then go into the semi-finals (SuperA1 vs SuperB2, SuperA2 vs SuperB1).
    Last edited by Mahindinho; 02-04-2007 at 04:57 PM.

they are doing that for the 20/20 world championship but its still called super 8 though

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    It is far and away the best place for expansion to take place, because it is the biggest stage.
    No, it's not. Expansion does not happen by means of one-off events - it happens by means of years of construction.
    You are, by having only 8 teams in the Finals.
    There are only 8 Full Members worthy of such a thing...

In your mind.

Bearing in mind that 2 of said 8 clearly showed themselves to not be worthy, I think you'll have to revisit your views...

No, it's not. Expansion does not happen by means of one-off events - it happens by means of years of construction.

There are only 8 Full Members worthy of such a thing...
    Ok again WORLD vs "Champions"... only "champions" are worthy to be in the champions trophy while the rest of the world gets a chance to compete in the WORLD cup...you're right it takes many years of construction but doing well in a world cup raises its name in w/e country....its like saying australia/trinidad & tobago didn't deserve to be in the fifa world cup...look at how it raised soccer in those country...it does help because people take note when you country is doing better than most of the other the countries...

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    they are doing that for the 20/20 world championship but its still called super 8 though
    Twenty20 WC, you say?

*yawn*

*falls asleep*

Oi, you, I think you'd do well to join a certain Society...

Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho View Post
    A month of almost continuous cricket, too much? Hell, no!

I think this is a very fair system -- at the start, every team had their chance, and not one single team was knocked out by one freak result. Pak just needed to beat Ireland to stay in, while India could have beaten SL.

The best 8 teams in the tournament during the group stage have ended up in the Super 8. And now, each team gets to test itself against all the others.

There really haven't been that many dead rubbers so far, although there may be a couple around the corner. And all the minnows got at least three matches against decent opposition.

The only fair alternative I can think of would be to have a "Super 2x4" phase, with two groups of four (e.g. SuperA=A1/B2/C1/D2, SuperB=A2/B1/C2/D1) and only then go into the semi-finals (SuperA1 vs SuperB2, SuperA2 vs SuperB1).
    that what i would prefer, it seem like after West Indies has lost 3 games they are out of semi final contention but still have to play 3 more games, when in 2 groups of 4 it is only 3 games so less meaningless games

Cricket Spectator
    altho it does seem to drag on a bit i dont think its necessarily a bad thing for two main reasons.
    a). the minnow teams are only going to get better by playing the top class nations and gaining that match experience. Bangladesh are a good example of this. I think the fact that a team like Ireland is guaranteed atleast 6 games against quality opposition is fantastic.

b). sure it drags on but hey, what else would you rather be watching? I'd rather have too much cricket than not enough.

I think the main reason why the Super 8's seem to be a bit too long is because the minnows are playing in the Super 8's so that dilutes the competitive nature of the Super 8's a bit.

As far as minnows getting better as the tournament progresses, i think the opposite is taking place with the Bangers as they are getting worse by each passing game.

The same though can't be said about Ireland.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information