• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wide Brimmed Hats

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
A wide-brimmed hat makes _such_ a difference on a warm day! I often wear mine on holiday, or when out hiking in the sun, and haven't found that much difference in coolness between my old white one and my new blue* one. The shade is the main thing. Admittedly, I suppose I do look a bit of a nonce at times ;)

* Found a Gray-Nicholls one on sale, and stuck a Sri Lanka badge on it -- the official SL blue ones are rubbish.

When I was going up Skafell (one of the highest mountains in England) on what turned out to be the hottest day of 2006, I had to loan the hat out to other members of my group, who were really suffering. It's the sun on the back of your neck, which a baseball cap really doesn't do anything about.

Sunscreen is mainly to prevent you burning, rather than cooling you down. I don't know much about that, though, as I've never actually used the stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A sunhat is equally to make you slightly cooler and to offer more protection than a baseball-cap.

Which is why I mentioned the sunscreen.