• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Format ideas for future World Cups.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good games of cricket = not boring.

You don't need the sort of shock that sees a poor side getting though at the expense of a better one.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
really because thats the excitement part of any tournament...if the better teams always make it through as expected thats a pretty boring tournament....every tournament have better teams knocked out by a smaller team most of the times...example brazil #1 ranked in soccer knockout in the quater finals...also good teams vs good teams does not always = to good games like the last final for example or the one before that...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
really because thats the excitement part of any tournament...if the better teams always make it through as expected thats a pretty boring tournament....
Nonsense. As long as there are entertaining games, no-one will care. Indeed, most people will enjoy it best that way.

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
the think i don't like about this format is the super 8 to many teams, i would prefer 2 groups of 4 in the next round so team would only play 3 games instead of 6

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah i thought of that too but then thats just like the champions trophy with just diferent preliminary round...whats the biggest problem with this format, the tournament being thrown off balance? then wouldn't you say it would be better if the second round was like knockout? then even if a "bad" team went on they wouldn't go on without performing(ofcourse for that to happen we need a more competitive 1st round)...I dont mind this eaither though its just like fifa world cup with half the teams, so i guess they cant afford to have a knockout right now because the real business would be too short.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm telling you it is not the case that no-one would enjoy it were Pakistan to have beaten Ireland easily, India to have beaten Bangladesh and basically all the ODI-standard-vs-substandard games to have been entirely one-sided and as expected.

Because there are more important things in sport than upsets.

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
You could always have two groups of 8, with no Super Sixs/Eight or whatever. The length of the tournment will be about the same, only slighly longer. Also its gives times like Pakistan, a 2nd chance. One thing people might forgot if we had the similar format in 96' then West Indies could have been knocked out in Group stages and not made the Semi Final. The big problem with this current format, is really you have no 2nd chance, if you stuff up one match.
u do get a 2nd chance in the current format. pakistan lost to west indies in their opening game and they had a 2nd chance to beat ireland and zimbabwe then they still would have gone through. except they lost to ireland so thats 2 losses, 2 chances and they are gone. which i think is fair...im happy with the current format for now.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'd be happier with four groups of four (like this year) followed by another two groups of four, then semis and finals. The Super Eights just becomes too confusing - I've already had to spend time explaining the concept to people at school.

The only problem I can see is that because unlike football it is difficult to differentiate between two sides level on points in cricket (NRR is messy for the spectator), a four-team pool may not be 'conclusive' enough (for want of a better award) with each team playing only three matches.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Agree with ^^^^^

The NRR is too complicated to work out for the average fan, it would make more sense if made some easier way of deciding which side was better, if they ended up with the same amount of points.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trouble is, there isn't anything better.

It's been discussed - as with D\L - 1,000,001 times, but if you bring something else in it becomes unfair (as with the ludicrous bonus-point system), and IMO you can't justify using an unfair system just to placate the casual fan.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
does anyone think the l use the same format for 2011? i hope they do because that would be more appropriate than this time because the minnows will be better...but with india and pakistan knockout do anyone really thinks the organizers are going to stick to this one?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bonus points for drinks consumed.

That way, England would lose in the final to Ireland.

Pakistan, on the other hand, would have an legitimate excuse for being beaten in the first round.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The only change I would suggest is to incorporate a second chance into the format -so that A quality team does not miss out due to one bad day .

I would incorporate a second chance for the 4, 3rd place teams to play off for the final second chance slot. (and Super 9 instead of Super 8 to accomodate this 9th Team)

ie A 3 v B 3 and C 3 plays D 3 .

the winners of the 2 games play each other to get this Final position into Super 9 (instead of Super 8).

LA ICE-E

State Captain
they have enough chances...its whinning like this when the big teams loses that take out the fun of the tournaments...like the aussie with ct-they whined that the knockout format wasn't fair so we went to one thats really similar to the wc...who cares about second chances...if you really that good you dont need second chances...and you already have second chances in this format...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The only change I would suggest is to incorporate a second chance into the format -so that A quality team does not miss out due to one bad day .
A quality side on a bad day should still have enough to beat the weaker sides.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really Jason you need to get over the fact that India didn't make it, they were beaten by a better side on the day which is what counts.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agreed. Of all the possible alternatives to the current system, I'd go with the above though. It depends how much Bangladesh improve between now and the next WC IMO.
More to the point, it depends on how much India and Pakistan improve between now and then.

:tongue:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member

I would incorporate a second chance for the 4, 3rd place teams to play off for the final second chance slot. (and Super 9 instead of Super 8 to accomodate this 9th Team)

ie A 3 v B 3 and C 3 plays D 3 .

the winners of the 2 games play each other to get this Final position into Super 9 (instead of Super 8).
Coming soon - FA Cup finals to be best-out-of-three