• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bermuda are still a class below those four. On these showings they'd struggle in an English County Premier League.
You and Dad think along similar lines - he's just said after informing me of the Bermuda result that Exeter CC would give 'em a game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scotland and Ireland do have a promising future - they have the population and the interest to support the game (history of cricket in the UK - but I'm not sure how much interest the game has historically commanded outside of England).
Every Scot who's ever got good at cricket has wanted to and has played in and for England. There's no reason this should discontinue.

I'm informed by our weekly Brumby that the last decent Irish cricketer before Joyce was 80 years ago.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
So are Scotland, Holland, Ireland and Canada.

Bermuda are still a class below those four. On these showings they'd struggle in an English County Premier League.
I was thinking that the other day while watching them bat against England. Their bowling attack is nothing; my village side has two bowlers up and around 80mph, plus has a solid batting lineup. How they beat the other associate nations is beyond me. Surely Namibia, who have put in some solid performances in the South African Provincial Tournaments this year, are much better?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Bermuda at the 2005 ICC Trophy in Ireland:

Ireland 315-8 beat Bermuda 218-6 by 97 runs
Bermuda 217-9 beat UAE 187 by 30 runs
Bermuda 249-8 beat Denmark 156 by 57 runs
Uganda 12-0 v Bermuda - no result
Bermuda 311-8 beat USA 198 by 113 runs

Semi Final: Bermuda 219-9 lost to Scotland 222-4 by 6 wickets
3rd Place Playoff: Bermuda 195 lost to Canada 197-5 by 5 wickets

Basically, they got drawn in the easier group, with Ireland, UAE, Denmark, Uganda and the USA. The other group contained Scotland, Canada, Netherlands, Namibia, Papua New Guinea and Oman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm fairly confident that Namibia > Bermuda, to be honest.

However, they love their cricket there and a lot of their side is legitimately home grown, so it's good to see them get some recognition I suppose.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBF beating Denmark and UAE is no mean feat, but they just got lucky really. Also their bowling attack is probably up their with a lot of associates, it pretty much got them through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bermuda at the 2005 ICC Trophy in Ireland:

Ireland 315-8 beat Bermuda 218-6 by 97 runs
Bermuda 217-9 beat UAE 187 by 30 runs
Bermuda 249-8 beat Denmark 156 by 57 runs
Uganda 12-0 v Bermuda - no result
Bermuda 311-8 beat USA 198 by 113 runs

Semi Final: Bermuda 219-9 lost to Scotland 222-4 by 6 wickets
3rd Place Playoff: Bermuda 195 lost to Canada 197-5 by 5 wickets

Basically, they got drawn in the easier group, with Ireland, UAE, Denmark, Uganda and the USA. The other group contained Scotland, Canada, Netherlands, Namibia, Papua New Guinea and Oman.
No previous considerations, then?

It was, essentially, just random elimination of Namibia?

If that's not 100% clear, I mean, for a more obvious example, it's be like having a situation where you could put Australia, Sri Lanka, India and New Zealand in one group and Denmark, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Uganda in another and end-up with a Sri Lanka vs Denmark final?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The USA and UAE both went very well in the previous associate tournament - the Six Nations Challenge - which granted them a seeding inside the top six alongside Ireland.

On paper both groups had three of the top six associate sides in...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka still need to lift their game . They were several elements of luck ie Mahela dropped twice, Tharanga's LBW that he survived.etc.
Cannot judge the bowling performance given the quality of opposition.(Bermuda)

Surprised by the selection of Arnold over Atapattu.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
About Bremuda - how far in advance did they do the ICC Trophy seedings? (Remember in this current WC the No 1 and 2 sides sre in the same group because when the seedings were done SA were in a crap ODI spell so were only 5th then) And in any case I'd rather have Bremuda - a home grown team (apart from Hemp) where it means something to the country that they are there - rather than the USA - full of WI ex-pats who were probably worse than Bermuda in 2004 CT (remember Astle and McMillan hiting sixes for fun against them - SL 's batsmen didn't have it that easy).plus the fact the Yanks wouldn't give a toss if they were there or not. One other point - in the 1975 WC a team in its first ODI got bowled out by WI for only eight runs more than Bermuda got yesterday. What happened to them?

pup11

International Coach
Just saw the final Indian XI for today's game and was suprised to see Sehwag listed down in the middle-order.

Anyways India has won the toss and elected to bat first.