View Poll Results: Who'll take the World Cup?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

17 36.17%
  • Sri Lanka

3 6.38%
  • New Zealand

5 10.64%
  • Pakistan

5 10.64%
  • South Africa

1 2.13%
  • India

6 12.77%
  • England

4 8.51%
  • West Indies

1 2.13%
  • Scotland

2 4.26%
  • Bangladesh

0 0%
  • Kenya

0 0%
  • Zimbabwe

0 0%
  • The Netherlands

1 2.13%
  • Bermuda

2 4.26%
  • Canada

0 0%
  • Ireland

0 0%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay, so who's gonna win?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Is Ross Taylor THE most promising one-day batsman to come out of New Zealand? I can't think of anyone else who averages over 40 - even Glenn Turner didn't.
    Probably the most promising since McMillan. He averaged close to 70 this year and his New Zealand domestic average is over 50 (it drops down when you include the A games he played last year when he was in horrible form).

If he can transfer his domestic form onto the international stage then look out world.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Is he a Twose\Bevan-esque player or is he more of a Dhoni\Pietersen?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Australia to win without dropping a game. Major challenges to come from a fully fit Pakistan side & the West Indies..

West Indies, more likely than South Africa?
    Sorry, what?
    And it was far-fetched enough (even if it did end-up coming to pass) to suggest Aus would win without losing a game in 2003, it's utterly crazy to suggest it this time.

Is he a Twose\Bevan-esque player or is he more of a Dhoni\Pietersen?
    He is more sensible than Pietersen and Dhoni, I would probably say he is more like Symonds. I'm not saying he is anywhere near as good as him, but he has a great deal of potential.

West Indies, more likely than South Africa?
    Sorry, what?
    And it was far-fetched enough (even if it did end-up coming to pass) to suggest Aus would win without losing a game in 2003, it's utterly crazy to suggest it this time.
    the scheduling like unlike 2003 isn't as long as next year. The group matches are just 3 then its staight into the super-eight, semi's & final. If they are full-strenght & play to potential they could well & go unbeaten this time again. In 99 when adverisity hit them they won 8 straight to win the WC & in 2003 they had some luck but still did it.

I think West Indies will do well at home because they seem to one of the few teams in the World who seem to thrive when the pressure of home expectations hit them unlike SA in the last WC. I'm writing SA off as a challenge to Australia because they have the wood on them & if WI were to meet Australia in a semi-final or something they could really challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    He is more sensible than Pietersen and Dhoni, I would probably say he is more like Symonds. I'm not saying he is anywhere near as good as him, but he has a great deal of potential.
    Pietersen and Dhoni have been sensible enough to average 82 and 55 in ODIs so far, whereas Symonds since becoming a good player averages 46-7ish (albeit from 64 innings compared to 16 and 26).
    (Yes, all averages ARE against only up-to-standard teams and excluding ICC World XI games)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    the scheduling like unlike 2003 isn't as long as next year. The group matches are just 3 then its staight into the super-eight, semi's & final. If they are full-strenght & play to potential they could well & go unbeaten this time again. In 99 when adverisity hit them they won 8 straight to win the WC & in 2003 they had some luck but still did it.
    Exactly - the improved format will make it more difficult to go unbeaten, because they'll play more games against ODI-standard teams.
    I think West Indies will do well at home because they seem to one of the few teams in the World who seem to thrive when the pressure of home expectations hit them unlike SA in the last WC. I'm writing SA off as a challenge to Australia because they have the wood on them & if WI were to meet Australia in a semi-final or something they could really challenge.
    Anyone can beat Australia if they have the talent, including SA (who are one of the few who DO have the talent). "Having the wood" doesn't really matter much in World Cups. Anyway - hopefully South Africa are about to win their first ODI series against Australia in any case, and burn the wood.

Exactly - the improved format will make it more difficult to go unbeaten, because they'll play more games against ODI-standard teams.

Anyone can beat Australia if they have the talent, including SA (who are one of the few who DO have the talent). "Having the wood" doesn't really matter much in World Cups. Anyway - hopefully South Africa are about to win their first ODI series against Australia in any case, and burn the wood.
    1. Ok maybe they will drop a game

2. Not doubting that anyone can beat australia once they have the talent, but when Australia are at the top of their game has been showed time and again in the past they are a level ahead of everyone else. Having the wood MEANS MUCH when it comes to SA/AUS clashes though many times since the 99 WC semi-final Australia have beaten them in situations when they shouldn't have so i for one am not worried about them as a treat regardless of how strong their OD team is..

All it takes is 1 game, to banish that wood - perhaps for a very long time.
    Hopefully that will come later today.

Final Four:
    Australia
    South Africa
    India
    New Zealand

Winner:
    South Africa - with everyone available, they've got a terrific mix of ODI players.

It doesn't matter only South Africa will find a way to lose a game when they have the game won (or should it be tied?).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

McMillan is a decent ODI player as far as I'm concerned, and I somehow doubt Fulton, How or anyone of that ilk is as good.
    Fair go mate he is averaging 47 in his first ten ODI's so far he has played and has a List A average of 34 which is a lot more then McMillan is doing at the moment.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Winner:
    South Africa - with everyone available, they've got a terrific mix of ODI players.
    http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/rsav...rtype=frameset

I'm going to look really stupid if we lose this though.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    It doesn't matter only South Africa will find a way to lose a game when they have the game won (or should it be tied?).
    I doubt they'll have that chance today somehow!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information