• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sure, Kenya's safe...

Kimbo

International Debutant
There was this little snippet in the Sunday Star Times.

AN admittance from the ICC that all isn't right in Nairobi comes in the form of beefed-up security for Kenya's game with Sri Lanka tomorrow. A 42-strong South Afrucab security team, including two snipers, bomb disposal experts and a surveillence aircraft will be in action at a ground where New Zealand refused to play. There will be 300 Kenyan security officials and 150 private security personnel attending. The South Africans also brought metal detectors and portable closed-circuit TV systems.

:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
They had an obligation to Kenya and Zimbabwe. They said the matches would be played there. So they tried to force the teams. And when they wouldn't go they tried to force them, then they ended up with 2 less games. I heard that the Kenyan team would turn up for the match even if NZ didn't come. Oh yes, why not wind everyone up?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
A 42-strong South Afrucab security team, including two snipers, bomb disposal experts and a surveillence aircraft will be in action at a ground where New Zealand refused to play. There will be 300 Kenyan security officials and 150 private security personnel attending
Im afraid thats just not cricket, how the hell could you concentrate while all that is going on in the background. It would feel like you were trying to play cricket amidst a war.

Something has gone wrong here, either the teams are being too precious or the ICC have got it seriously wrong.

Kimbo

International Debutant
If they need that much security it obviously isn't very safe, and they are worried about things going wrong. I think NZ has been hard done by here, but if England were docked points, then NZ shouldnt have expected different even if claims were on grounds of safety.

It is obvious that the ICC is pack of ********s, and there should have only ever been games played in South Africa.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, London had tanks in the streets two weeks ago.

I do honestly think that it's safe to play there. Don't forget there was the Kenya-Pakistan-Australia trouble-free Tri-Series - and Aus would be a bigger target than Kenya.

I think that the Kenyan government are just taking extra precautions. SL are more than happy to go there...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My view is that Kenya is safe, but can fully understand the New Zealander's reasons for not going.

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
I heard that the Kenyan team would turn up for the match even if NZ didn't come. Oh yes, why not wind everyone up?
Rik you missed half of the conversation here... What happened was that although New Zealand backed out the Kenya Board never got an offical call saying so from the ICC (having a good WC aren't they :P ), so as far as they knew the game was still going and they would turn up as expected.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
Rik you missed half of the conversation here... What happened was that although New Zealand backed out the Kenya Board never got an offical call saying so from the ICC (having a good WC aren't they :P ), so as far as they knew the game was still going and they would turn up as expected.
Not from what I heard. Anyway if NZ say they are not going and have been for a few weeks then would you still expect them to arrive?

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
Not from what I heard. Anyway if NZ say they are not going and have been for a few weeks then would you still expect them to arrive?
Yes because NZ always said that if they really needed the points they might change their minds, So there final decsion didn't actually come until a few days before the actually game... and if you never recived any offical word - you are therefore still expecting the game to happen... Anyway all in the past now.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes because NZ always said that if they really needed the points they might change their minds, So there final decsion didn't actually come until a few days before the actually game... and if you never recived any offical word - you are therefore still expecting the game to happen... Anyway all in the past now.
In the end this was not true, the NZ cricket board had never changed their minds & it was just the media trying to spark some speculation that NZ were considering going to Kenya after they lost to Sri Lanka.
So if Kenya should blame anyone for keeping their hopes up it should be the media for making false reports.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:
Perhaps if they bothered to watch the news, they'd have found out? :lol: