• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible Names In the Indian WC2007 Squad

masterblaster

International Captain
Im looking forward already to 2007, as India wont get very far now.

My Predictions for their probable team:

Ambati Rayadu, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Rahul Dravid, Reetinder Sodhi, Ramesh Powar, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik, Zaheer Khan, Aavishkar Salvi, Ajit Agarkar, Sridharan Sriram, Hemang Badani, Dinesh Mongia, Vinayak Mane, Parthiv Patel (w/k), Thilak Naidu (w/k), Lakshmipathy Balaji, Mahendra Dhoni (w/k).

Ganguly, Laxman will be gone by 2007, this team will be skippered by Kaif, Yuvraj, Sehwag or Gambhir.
Plus add any exceptionally talented youngster who 'POPS' up in the next 4 years.

krkode

State Captain
hmm...don't quite agree with you there, masterblaster ;)

If Tendulkar and Dravid will be there, I'm sure Ganguly will be there too. Some day soon he'll be relieved of the captaincy - probably to Dravid and then he just might find his "soul" again :P

I haven't been in real touch with the Indian youth side of things cuz I don't get Indian newspaper or all that good stuff that I used to get when I was in India, so I'll only comment on the players now, who I think, will be around then.

V Sehwag (just started out - i think we could expect great things from him)

S Tendulkar (same old, same old, just recently crossed the halfway point of *most* cricketers' careers and we've already seen so much of him)

R Dravid (c) (think he'll probably take on the captaincy in a year or so)

S Ganguly (once he finds himself again, i think/hope/feel/trust that he'll be as good as ever)

Harbhajan Singh (has already finished the best days of his life, but things won't be so bad after that, i guess)

Z Khan (got his whole career ahead of him)

A Agarkar (still very young and 'immature' and already 160+ wickets)

Parthiv Patel (I agree the lad is talented, but 2003 is a bit too soon for him, i think. By 2007 he should be ready to step into Nayan Mongia's shoes for there hasn't been a keeper as good as him since he left)

V Reddy

International Debutant
masterblaster said:

Ambati Rayadu, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Rahul Dravid, Reetinder Sodhi, Ramesh Powar, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik, Zaheer Khan, Aavishkar Salvi, Ajit Agarkar, Sridharan Sriram, Hemang Badani, Dinesh Mongia, Vinayak Mane, Parthiv Patel (w/k), Thilak Naidu (w/k), Lakshmipathy Balaji, Mahendra Dhoni (w/k).

Ganguly, Laxman will be gone by 2007, this team will be skippered by Kaif, Yuvraj, Sehwag or Gambhir.
Plus add any exceptionally talented youngster who 'POPS' up in the next 4 years.
I am not so sure about Sriram, Mongia , Sodhi, Mane.

Sriram has got many chances and is not being picked in the India A also.

Not so sure about Mongia.I think he will be dropped after the WC as India will not be playing till 3 months and by that maybe Rayuduu and Gambhir will come in.

Sodhi. I don't think he got the talent.

Mane has talent but he hasn't been making any runs since 3 yrs.He has to have a big season to come in and i doubt that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
desperate stuff aye?
already looking to the 2007 World Cup, well thats another 4 years away.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Seems a bit extreme. Indian supporters are known for being.... what's the word... I can't think of it. Fanatical basically. They must have spent 4 years building up to this tournament, getting their hopes up, and after one week they have cut their losses to look to 2007. Not good! :(

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Or maybe its just another topic to chat on (better than the worst so and so on the cricket field), and is here because of the age of this team and youngsters like Rayudu..

The youngsters/seniors who are playing today and I expect to be knocking at the door/will have established places in '07 as well are:

Yuvaraj
Karthik
Badani
Kaif
Harbhajan
Mongia
Rayudu
Parthiv Patel
Rakesh Patel
Balaji
Wasim Jaffer
Nehra
Zaheer
The big three
Laxman
Sehwag
Tilak Naidu

several new players will pop out of 'nowhere' as these guys did in the past.

A good performance in this WC would be great for us because it will be a nice launching pad for this young team to really up their stature in the international arena. Most of them are in the first part of their international careers and the seniors are smack in the middle, productive zone. A WC win this time will set the flavour.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
A leg spinner will be in Englands Squad by 2007
No, a leg spinner may be in the England Squad by 2007 if there is one that is good enough - if there isn't one good enough, then there won't be one there.

Also for the World Cup I think it's even more doubtful we'll see one coming in.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:

Well, unless we see a change in the making of our own pitches back in the sub-continent, I dont see te Indian's doing much outside their territory.

krkode

State Captain
Bazza said:
Seems a bit extreme. Indian supporters are known for being.... what's the word... I can't think of it. Fanatical basically. They must have spent 4 years building up to this tournament, getting their hopes up, and after one week they have cut their losses to look to 2007. Not good! :(
We're just discussing...you know...banter chat, cuz we didn't (atleast I) didn't have anything better to do at the time :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
A leg spinner will be in Englands Squad by 2007
If we can find one who can get through overs without sending down more 4-balls than MacGill, then maybe. I think our selectors have more sense than to randomly pick any leggie... unless he's called Rikki Ramprakash... :rolleyes:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
..our selectors will have more sense than to... nice to hear that :)

I dont think England will invent a leggie.
I'll guess England (and most other teams) will try to get one tearaway into their teams a la Akhtar.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by full_length
I'll guess England (and most other teams) will try to get one tearaway into their teams a la Akhtar.
Who would you suggest for England?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
full_length said:

What happened to the Mumbai(?) pace academy ? I dont see anyone around !?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:

Didn't you know there's thousands of brilliant leg spinners all aged 3 and under, but the County teams won't give them a chance?

As for tearaway - Simon Jones springs to mind.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
The MRF pace academy you mean? Its at Chennai.
Almost every good paceman in India has had some inputs from there. Also many of the Lankan pacemen.
But they (read Lillee) didnt help Sachin when he wanted to become a speed merchant God knows why :lol:

I remember something about Chetan Sharma starting a pace academy in Delhi. I dont know what stage that is in.

Theres another academy called NCA in Bangalore. Their claim to fame (so far, and I hope I'm wrong) is to kick out Harbhajan, Murali karthik and someone else for bad behaviour, when they were protesting bad food. I have no idea whether it still is up and running at all or whether it's just a showpiece.

At any rate, only MRF has been for any significant time in India. Infact it's been enough time for us to expect some more output..

India has some way to go. Zaheer is upping his pace every season, should peak next season perhaps where it comes to speed. There's no tearaway in India that I've heard of. But we have four or five spinners that can easily fit into the international level. So the attack will probably not have any fundamental change for the next two or three years. It will still be Zaheer, and a couple of medium pacers, and some spinners.

England? If Harmison or Jones improve, maybe they'll be world class by next WC- they've generated some good speeds. But they'll probably cut down on pace and bowl 'sensibly'. Moreover, England are having a terrible time with injuries. It must be someone that surfaces in a couple of years.

BTW, what's Silverwood doing now? Is he still quick?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
BTW, what's Silverwood doing now? Is he still quick?
Yup Chris "Spoons" Silverwood is still bowling around 90mph+ although he didn't exactly impress bowling 4 overs for 20 odd in an Ashes Test...but they didn't give him a warm-up match so you can't blame him. Shame he got injured after those 4 overs though :(