• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe, Mugabe and Geoff Marsh!

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
I might be wrong but isn't the Zimbabwe coach Ex Aussie opener Geoff Marsh?

Surely if Mugabe's regime was that bad our dear old Marshy would do the right thing and hop it back to Australia - or is the Zim $ too tempting.

And gee, if the poor old whities were suffering so badly under Mugabe then why would Heath Streak, the Flower boys and the other whities stick around?

I don't condone that scumbag Mugabe's political regime, but gee whiz, maybe the question of boycotting the games in the Big Z should be asked of the Zim boys themselves and coach Marsh as well.

You know its true

WW :rolleyes:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WW: Change your sig now.

Also; try to be a tad more diplomatic when talking about issues of race.

One more thing (to all concerned); discussions of race are on a VERY short leash here in general. If this discussion gets out of hand, it will close.

Last edited:

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
Sorry, if I offended anyone. My gripe is with the ICC.

Darren Lehman was sacked for 5 matches for a heat of the moment slur.

Mugabe gets 6 matches for killing and raping white farmers.

And I reiterate my point about the white players in the Zim team and Geoff Marsh as coach - Why are they not questioned about boycotting the games on moral grounds?

I guess its 'cos that's how they make their living...tell it to the dead farmers.

I'll remove my sig when I work out how to do it. But isn't it funny that "White Men Can't Jump" was a runaway movie success and no one whinged about that!!! Double standards again.

WW :(

Top_Cat

I'll remove my sig when I work out how to do it. But isn't it funny that "White Men Can't Jump" was a runaway movie success and no one whinged about that!!! Double standards again.
Actually, plenty of people whinged about it. I saw protests in the news and believe me, as someone who's black by heritage, I heard about it in finitum. Still, we're not here to debate that........

I understand your point but all of your questions have no answers unless the parties concerned are asked themselves and I think your inference of money being the motivation is questionable when you consider how Zim's currency fares compared to others. You could make a more convincing case arguing that Murray Goodwin left Zim purely on the basis of money if you wanted to because he's making much more as a FC cricketer here than he was as a Test player in Zim.

Also, have you considered that those guys stayed in Zim because it's their home and they want to stay and fight said racism? Could it be that Geoff Marsh took the coaching position for the same reasons? It wasn't for money. Marsh, having been Australian coach, would have made more money as a First Class team coach in Australia and in most places in fact.

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
Hmmm,

My main question remains - why hasn't the media pushed the boycott issue to the Zim players & Marsh - Instead of making the Aussies Kiwis and Poms look like whingers. ( & by default "racist" 'cos they are the main "white" teams)

But you may right - regarding the money thing - although not being privvy to their contracts we can only speculate that they are doing okay. As for Marsh - I don't think anyone wanted him after the Aussie gig and its a bit of a comedown after coaching your country to be in charge of a Shield team or lesser squad.

WW

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Willow Whacker said:
Hmmm,

My main question remains - why hasn't the media pushed the boycott issue to the Zim players & Marsh - Instead of making the Aussies Kiwis and Poms look like whingers. ( & by default "racist" 'cos they are the main "white" teams)
Why should Zim players boycott their own national team based on the likes and dislikes of some foreign governments ? They are not playing for Robert Mugabe...they are playing for Zimbabwe.

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
You miss the point

Aussies, Kiwis and Poms have been pushed by the media to state there position on boycotting the games. This then led to discussion of the pros & cons of playing.

And all based upon the horror of the Mugabe regime.

We have been told by the media of all the horrors his regime has perpetrated. The murders and rapes of whites...the country sounds like its in ruin, and the impression is one of a dictatorial police state.

If this is the case then surely the white Zim players would have been asked by THE MEDIA to consider boycotting their games. And Geoff Marsh as well. He has no link to Zim? Why not put pressure on their own govenment if the conditions are truly so atrocious and boycott their matches? Of course they lose all points and be out of the comp - what a good way to protest his regime - instead of playing his game.

I am spin doctoring this to simply put the case of the double standards we get thrown at us. If the situation is so bad why should our players support his regime by playing - so therefore why should the whites or for that matter any Zim player play for their country, which is apparently, so clearly in disrepute.

In other words, what's the truth? Is Zim really a shocking mess or is it just a bit banged around the edges?

WW

Top_Cat

In other words, what's the truth? Is Zim really a shocking mess or is it just a bit banged around the edges?
Both and neither. Mugabe's regime only gets press because of what they stand for and even though Mugabe's tribal group (Shona) is the dominant group in Zim, there are certainly plenty of others around and his opposition is significant. This is what you never hear from the Western press. Sure there are parts of Zim which are not safe but there are parts which are fine too as the resistance to Mugabe is string enough. He certainly doesn't have total control over the country at all. This is complementary to what Aussie_Beater is saying; Mugabe doesn't really represent the interests of all Zimbabweans so the players play for Zim and not him.

But yes, Zimbabwe is indeed poor. Having said that, the country itself isn't THAT poor. It's just the money is heavily re-distributed amongst the Shonas and especially Mugabe's family and nothing given to the rest. The thing is, Mugabe has been waging a war in the Congo for many years now (it's quite resource-rich) to prop up the country's monetary value too as their GDP is very low.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Willow Whacker said:

If this is the case then surely the white Zim players would have been asked by THE MEDIA to consider boycotting their games. And Geoff Marsh as well. He has no link to Zim? Why not put pressure on their own govenment if the conditions are truly so atrocious and boycott their matches? Of course they lose all points and be out of the comp - what a good way to protest his regime - instead of playing his game.
What rubbish are you talking ? Zim players play for their country and NOT Mugabe. If the media were to say that they should not play, then they would have looked more stupid then they already are.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Maybe all the "whities" are playing for Zim because they are proud to represent the country of their birth, and the country they and their families grew up in. I dont think they would move just because things get tough.
They are a resilient bunch and I hope they all stick around so they can rebuild the country when Mugabe goes.
Maybe Geoff Marsh cares a great deal about Zim cricket and does not want to jump on the bandwagon of just returning back to Aus, but instead see some talented guys of all races representing Zimbabwe.

PY

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
What rubbish are you talking ? Zim players play for their country and NOT Mugabe. If the media were to say that they should not play, then they would have looked more stupid then they already are.
Isn't it a little naive to say that the players are only playing for Zimbabwe and not Mugabe as he is their "elected" leader?(I know its not really elected but he can say it is) but i do agree that the Zimbabweans (dunno if thats spelt right) should play for their country and not boycott because I'm sure there's a lot cricket fans in Zim who want to support their team in possibly the biggest sporting event this decade for Southern Africa and they would be very let down if home nations were depleted.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
PROUD+ENGLISH said:
Isn't it a little naive to say that the players are only playing for Zimbabwe and not Mugabe as he is their "elected" leader?
He may be the elected leader of the people of Zimbabwe, to represent them in the comity of nations, but they are the chosen players of the people of Zimbabwe who are to represent the nation of Zimbabwe in the world cup, and not Mugabe.

Now would you say that all the English players are playing for Tony Blair or would you say that they are playing for Eng ? Just like the PM or President of a country represents a nation, the sports persons of a country participating in a world event represent that nation and play for their country.

Willow Whacker

Cricket Spectator
Zimbabwe is not a democracy - full stop. It is a military dictatorship.

The Zim White players should have been asked to state their case by the same media who challenged the Poms, Aussies & Kiwis to boycott their matches in protest at the regime.

People say its good that these guys play so as to highlight their country's plight. Thats a load of hooey. I haven't heard one Zim player say he hates Mugabe's regime and hopes that cricket can help his people - NOT ONE! If they had freedom of speech in Zim then they'd have no problem in telling their side of things.

Eg. "Well, Andy how do you feel about the possible boycott by England and Australia?"

Andy: Look I hope they come. I mean people will see how we are suffering under the horror of Mugabe and then maybe the world will understand what we are going through after all. Its not just a game of cricket to us. Its a chance for all the world to see the atrocities first hand. I only hope the world's media will be able to get this info through his propaganda henchman.

or this: "well Andy will any Zim players be boycotting the matches?"

Andy: "Well some of the guys are seriously considering the possibility. A united protest against this ruthless tyrant is a real possibility. It'd be the end of our careers in Zim but , well, we could and do play county cricket in the UK anyway and I guess we could always play in the Pura Cup at a pinch. Hopefully he'll get knocked off by a coup and things will get back to normal. And to think that our brave boycott decision started the mongrel's downfall!"

And not one journo has asked Marsh why he's still there and is he concerned about the state of play.

But hey, it's just a game afterall. Who cares about the people?

Not the ICC

W:O :O W:O :O