Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sohail Tanvir replaces Akhtar

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Imagine a right handed in-swing bowler with an open chested action (which is what gives the impression of bowling off the wrong foot) and then imagine a mirror image of this and you have Tanvir.

It is very rare to see left handed bowlers bowling with this action in which the bowling arm comes close to the ear and then instead of coming down acrosss the body on the other side, falls away towards the other side which makes the ball swing.

He was bowling over the wicket to righthanders, from a bit wide of the stumps and the ball was pitched very consistently outside the right handers off stump swinging further away quite a bit. It was clearly going to take a lot of getting used to and the batsmen were repeatedly surprised by this unfamiliar actions. On top of that he was pretty accurate in line and length.

He has a pretty quick arm action. Very interesting to watch. I cant remember any left handed bowler in my over forty years of watching the game who bowled with a similar action. I would love to see him bowling in the longer version of the game.
    Thanks for that description. Will look forward to watching him bowl tomorrow.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Yes, he's very interesting to watch. If he had a ball that just held its line rather than swinging in with that angle, he'd be quite a handful. I think he'll be found out the more he plays TBH, but he's certainly interesting to watch as he tests the batsman's technique in a totally different way.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

he did really good against aus...i wonder if shoaib would have perform that goo against aus..

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    he is being successful because he keeps the batsmen surprised with delivering the ball of wrong foot.

Speed:
    basically 78-84 MPH, not bad can always get better.
    LnL: Slightly outside Right handed's off stump, angles across batsmen, length is quite correct for new bowler, slightly short i think but batsmen have not be able to capitilze on (slightly)shortness of bowling coz right now they are trying to figure out his action too much....and are preoccupied with that....

Variety: Not much from what i saw, doonoo if he uses Slow ball or changes length very often....when he went around the wicket in game against SL...surprised batsmen a bit but i think will be lollypop bowler from around the wicket for batsmen as soon as they get over his action...and wait for him to pitch the ball up in attempt to get batsmen out as that will be the only way for him to geta wicket as by bowling around the wicket, with his action, it will bevery hard(nearly impossible) for him to get the ball to move across the batsmen.

What he needs:
    needs to develop in-Cutter like Pathan and Vaas....obviously needs to learn reverse swing, but with his action, i dont see him being able to generate reverse........BUT on bright side, if he does get any amount of reverse...that will be lethal....even more than Shoaib akhter's...coz his action is just way too strange one to expect reverse from.

If he helps Pak to T20, i ll be glad....but do not expect this guy in Pak, reversing the ball, gaining pace or developing in cutters like wasim or even Irfan...thats just the reality but i will be glad if he proves me wrong
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Tanvir looks exactly like a natural right-hander who has taught himself to bowl left-handed.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Tanvir looks exactly like a natural right-hander who has taught himself to bowl left-handed.
    You said it.

To me he is the mirror image of so many right handed inswing bowlers from my playing days. Its just that left arm bowlers never saw any point is learning this more demanding (physically) type of swing when they could naturally swing it in and cut it away from righthanders.

I was fascinated to watch him.

I suspect that once the novelty wears off he might not be so devastating but he is a fine bowler. It will be a big strain on his body - this action. But any efforts to change it might completely destroy his effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    You said it.

To me he is the mirror image of so many right handed inswing bowlers from my playing days. Its just that left arm bowlers never saw any point is learning this more demanding (physically) type of swing when they could naturally swing it in and cut it away from righthanders.

I was fascinated to watch him.

I suspect that once the novelty wears off he might not be so devastating but he is a fine bowler. It will be a big strain on his body - this action. But any efforts to change it might completely destroy his effectiveness.
    Agreed. I hope he gets a few tests soon. Not so much because I think he deserves it, but because it'll be interesting to watch. He has a very good first class batting record as well.

Tanvir > Aktar ATM IMO

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Tanvir > Aktar ATM IMO
    Given thaat Akhtar hasn't been in the side for a while, you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Supposedly was playing in the Bradford League last year, and did pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information