• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Odd, don't see anything remarkably better than NZ here.
Odd i don't see anything significant good about NZ's Twenty20 performances. Just look like an average Twenty20 side. I don't think any previous Twenty20 performances will have any importance on this WC. No teams have really played any matches to show what they are capable in this format. The most a team has played is six games, India only played one.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Aside from the World Cup and Champions Trophy, major tournaments, then the CB series is probably the next most important ODI tournament on the cricket calender.
TBH its just another pointless ODI tournment these days and been that way for a while. Even the fans in Australia are over it and Day One Test Matches tickets these days are seen as the big prize. The last ODI final in Sydney was still on sale till the week before the match. Usually its sold out a month before.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If Kenya are to win even one game then a lot will rest on Thomas Odoyo's batting and bowling, however if anybody saw/ followed the Afro-Asia T20 match that preceded the ODI matches (the team had 4 Kenyans in it) though the batting folded rather easily the bowling attack did have the Asia XI under some pressure chasing a meager total up until Shoaib Malik came to the crease especially Nehemiah Odhiambo who picked up 2 wickets for 21 so in that sense all is not lost

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You loved mickey mouse ODI's when they gave you evidence (Little evidence but evidence nonetheless) to suggest how great England were because they beat Australia is the CB series and in 2005.

But of course they were different for some random reason weren't they?
Both teams were up for those tho, they were trying to score points ahead of the Ashes, letting the other team know they were there. The 2nd ODI series with the stupid supersub rules was a different story and by then everyone was just wanting the Ashes to start. The CB series final was important because it was a final against Australia in Australia (they hardly ever lose these) and because it was the last proper outing before the World Cup (against in the case of Australia they didn't care about a 2nd series shortly after with NZ, but NZers amusingly used it to say how great their team was as per usual).

Anyway this is about NZ not being good enough, I'm sure everyone will try and change the focus onto England but that's not the issue here.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Haha oh man. The ODI Series where England tied with Australia, Australia care. The one where they lose 2-1, suddenly no-one cares despite it being just days after the last one. Australia suddenly find their passion again for the CB Series finals and England win. Then, Australia go to New Zealand and find that they reall cbf playing the game and NZ beats them. Yeah, makes perfect sense. People only care about ODIs when England wins.

Scaly piscine

Haha oh man. The ODI Series where England tied with Australia, Australia care. The one where they lose 2-1, suddenly no-one cares despite it being just days after the last one. Australia suddenly find their passion again for the CB Series finals and England win. Then, Australia go to New Zealand and find that they reall cbf playing the game and NZ beats them. Yeah, makes perfect sense. People only care about ODIs when England wins.
Do you even remember the Ashes? If you did you'd know the second series was just pointless immediately after the first ODI series, it involved the same teams (minus Bangladesh) and it was the first games with the new stupid rules the ICC brought out, it made the games a bit experimental and also nobody really wanted to get injured just before the Ashes. It was pretty obvious if you remember as well I do that nobody really gave a toss about that second ODI series.

As for after the CB series Australia rested a few players (ie they didn't even travel) and again had just played NZ before. It was not much more than a series of glorified warm up games

Continue to be paranoid about me biased or whatever if you like, it's your right to be wrong.

Flem274*

123/5
Both teams were up for those tho, they were trying to score points ahead of the Ashes, letting the other team know they were there. The 2nd ODI series with the stupid supersub rules was a different story and by then everyone was just wanting the Ashes to start. The CB series final was important because it was a final against Australia in Australia (they hardly ever lose these) and because it was the last proper outing before the World Cup (against in the case of Australia they didn't care about a 2nd series shortly after with NZ, but NZers amusingly used it to say how great their team was as per usual).

Anyway this is about NZ not being good enough, I'm sure everyone will try and change the focus onto England but that's not the issue here.
New Zealand are good enough. They have the ability and just need to learn how to win the big games. And they are learning all the time. Plus we have a hell of alot of young talent coming through which will create competition for places and will improve everyone.

Now we win, you lose. Give up, go home. Cry like a baby.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
England>NZ in tests.
NZ>England in ODI's.

There haven't been enough T/20 internationals played yet IMO to say one nation is dominant but I dare say if NZ and Eng were to play a 10 match T/20 series the results would be something like 7-3 in NZ's favour, IMO.

Scaly piscine

New Zealand are good enough. They have the ability and just need to learn how to win the big games. And they are learning all the time. Plus we have a hell of alot of young talent coming through which will create competition for places and will improve everyone.
Sounds like an awful lot of wishful thinking. Not raising their game for the big occasion is a trait, it's not something you learn to do particularly when you're an adult (you may learn it as you grow up, like a lot of Aussies do). I'll believe the 'hell a lot of the young talent' when I see it, NZers have a tendancy to massively over-rate new players and pin all their hopes on new blood - for instance Ross Taylor, who looks not much more than an average international batsman who can slog it around when the pitch is a road - but NZers will persist in saying how brilliant and classy he and numerous others are for the next 5-10 years while for some reason reserving all their hate for players like Franklin.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
but NZers will persist in saying how brilliant and classy he and numerous others are for the next 5-10 years while for some reason reserving all their hate for players like Franklin.
Out of interest, do you rate Franklin? I mean, I know you don't really rate any NZ players but am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the worlds second best left arm seamer :cool:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If Kenya are to win even one game then a lot will rest on Thomas Odoyo's batting and bowling, however if anybody saw/ followed the Afro-Asia T20 match that preceded the ODI matches (the team had 4 Kenyans in it) though the batting folded rather easily the bowling attack did have the Asia XI under some pressure chasing a meager total up until Shoaib Malik came to the crease especially Nehemiah Odhiambo who picked up 2 wickets for 21 so in that sense all is not lost
I will be cheering for Kenya against SL ....Come on Kenya....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, anyone who underestimates NZ knows zilt or hasn't followed Cricket enough, IMHO.

NZ are the clear second favourites IMHO after Australia.

Scaly piscine

Out of interest, do you rate Franklin? I mean, I know you don't really rate any NZ players but am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the worlds second best left arm seamer :cool:
As an ODI player he's very erratic, but he has a pretty good Test record (obviously his bowling average is skewed a bit by Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, but so is most peoples) - I remember him looking a bit better than the other NZ bowlers when he was called into NZ's side against England, he actually posed a threat which most NZ bowlers don't.

Scaly piscine

Honestly, anyone who underestimates NZ knows zilt or hasn't followed Cricket enough, IMHO.

NZ are the clear second favourites IMHO after Australia.
What's zilt? You clearly haven't followed cricket enough, if you did you might have realised by now NZ are not a big occasion team, they play to the same flat level all the time - which means when teams take it easy or rest a few they win, when the other team is a full strength Australia or a team like SL raising their game for a tournament NZ are in big trouble. To state NZ are the clear second favourites is an utter joke.

Australia are obvious favourites. Sri Lanka are clearly a better bet. SA are a better bet. Pakistan are a better bet. The rest are more in NZ's ballpark.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What's zilt? You clearly haven't followed cricket enough, if you did you might have realised by now NZ are not a big occasion team, they play to the same flat level all the time - which means when teams take it easy or rest a few they win, when the other team is a full strength Australia or a team like SL raising their game for a tournament NZ are in big trouble. To state NZ are the clear second favourites is an utter joke.

Australia are obvious favourites. Sri Lanka are clearly a better bet. SA are a better bet. Pakistan are a better bet. The rest are more in NZ's ballpark.
NZ have far better all round team and a much better record in 20/20 and have played more 20/20. SL are not second fav and that's coming from a Sri Lankan.period.