• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

Flem274*

123/5
Lucky its not a FC match then eh? NZ have a pretty good record at 20/20 matches to date, and a recent history against Australia of our lower order scoring fast runs and chasing ridiculous totals. Question the consistensy don't question the fact its even there. These are professional players and they deserve your respect if you have any love of the game.

Critique all you like, yet as a wise man one said.

"Don't be a dick.
"
AthlaiIsMyHero

Can't wait for the England-NZ series. Scaly will be awful during the tests because England should win but personally I reckon our Superior quality of ODI and 20/20 players will win us those matches fairly easily.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon we got a decent bowling attack for Twenty 20 even without Murali, as Chandana likely to replace him. Bandara seems to have gone down the 'Anderson/Dilhara' net bowler route. I don't understand why they don't release these guys to play domestic or A cricket, instead of just doing on one tour after another without bowling in a match.

But back to my point, Vaas has always been a good One Day bowler with his change ups, i reckon that will come in handy in Twenty20. Malinga and his ability to bowl at the death could be awsome in Twenty20. Jayasuriya, Dilshan and Chandana are handy at changing things up in ODIs to keep it tight, especially Jayasuriya at the depth. The real weakness is Dilhara but his slower balls might come in handy when batsmen are looking to increase the speed of run/rate regularly.

Batting is a bit hit and miss due to our high number of stroke payers, over hitters. But if Jayasuriya gets doing it could be game over. Sangakkara and Jayawardene have improved a lot and i think will be suited to this format. The question i guess is the slow starters in Silva and Tharanga. The aggressive but inconsistent Dilshan and Muburak/Kapu. But Dilshan has shown a liking to this format in the some of the matches i've seen. Chandana, Vaas and Maharoof could be handy down the order is they get going as well.

The talk is of resting Vaas and Sangakkara as well, so i think that will reduce our chances dramatically due the crapess of Maharoof (ATM still reckon he has potential) and Prassana Jayawardene. But at full strength I think we have a handy Twenty20 side.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AthlaiIsMyHero

Can't wait for the England-NZ series. Scaly will be awful during the tests because England should win but personally I reckon our Superior quality of ODI and 20/20 players will win us those matches fairly easily.
I only care about World Cups and Tests, mickey mouse ODIs and Twenty20 series I have a quick look at the scorecard and that's about it.

Scaly piscine

Lucky its not a FC match then eh? NZ have a pretty good record at 20/20 matches to date, and a recent history against Australia of our lower order scoring fast runs and chasing ridiculous totals. Question the consistensy don't question the fact its even there. These are professional players and they deserve your respect if you have any love of the game.

Critique all you like, yet as a wise man one said.

"Don't be a dick."
Not really.

Got spanked by Australia
Beat SA
Tied with West Indies (won the bowl out, but that's besides the point - the rules equally could have meant they'd lost on more wickets lost)
Lost to Sri Lanka and then beat them when they gave Murali & Jayasuriya a rest.

That's not particularly impressive.

Fiery

Banned
AthlaiIsMyHero

I only care about World Cups and Tests, mickey mouse ODIs and Twenty20 series I have a quick look at the scorecard and that's about it.
No, I think NZ will win that test series quite easily. England are a far cry from the 2005 Ashes winning team. Their ranking of No 2 is about 3 or 4 places too high imo. NZ to dominate

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not really.

Got spanked by Australia
Beat SA
Tied with West Indies (won the bowl out, but that's besides the point - the rules equally could have meant they'd lost on more wickets lost)
Lost to Sri Lanka and then beat them when they gave Murali & Jayasuriya a rest.

That's not particularly impressive.
Australia spanked us, eh? Can't see many other teams of the world scoring 170 in their first 20/20 match against them, besides a team which has been fired up of course. No shame in being beaten by Sri Lanka (which in my opinion whave a very good chance of dominating any other side in the world besides Australia if something goes there way early on) either despite it being REDUCED BY RAIN, which is pretty ridiculous to use as an example of us being legitimately beaten.5.5 overs was just not enough for us to get past Jayasuriya and we paid the price, Even with Murali in their line up we scored a decent 150 + score.

The West Indies match was fun, Cairns's last outing I believe and IMO should have just stayed as a tie, but the bowl out was an amusing enough affair for all the players. You I see lightly slid past a victory against SA in SA but ah well, can't win em all eh?

Other than the shortened match against SL, we have so far had a great record in 20/20 and your argument against the teams ability at the game I feel is unbased, at least to the extent you are suggesting it exists at.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH NZ record is pretty average really, I haven't seen anything to show they have a good record. Being competitive and scoring decent totals equals a good record? Are we talking about Kenya or New Zealand here. In 5 matches they have won 2, lost 2 and tied 1 (official the results stands as a Tie for some reason). Not really results of a side that has dominated Twenty20 like you guys seem to be trying to claim.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBH NZ record is pretty average really, I haven't seen anything to show they have a good record. Being competitive and scoring decent totals equals a good record? Are we talking about Kenya or New Zealand here. In 5 matches they have won 2, lost 2 and tied 1 (official the results stands as a Tie for some reason). Not really results of a side that has dominated Twenty20 like you guys seem to be trying to claim.
Not trying to claim anything of the sort, but a 50/50 record isn't bad at all, and one of those losses came from 5.5 overs of their innings which was a bit disappointing. Though I believe how you started is exactly the point I'm trying to bring across, "Being competitive and scoring decent totals", we're not Australia who set the world on fire with the game, yet we're far from the worst.

Scaly piscine

Not trying to claim anything of the sort, but a 50/50 record isn't bad at all, and one of those losses came from 5.5 overs of their innings which was a bit disappointing. Though I believe how you started is exactly the point I'm trying to bring across, "Being competitive and scoring decent totals", we're not Australia who set the world on fire with the game, yet we're far from the worst.

50/50 record including a game against a dramatically weakened Sri Lanka. Given it's NZ they'll only be worse when it comes down to the World Cup, where they've shown plenty of times they can't raise their game while others can - you don't win anything for being slightly above average there.

Flem274*

123/5
50/50 record including a game against a dramatically weakened Sri Lanka. Given it's NZ they'll only be worse when it comes down to the World Cup, where they've shown plenty of times they can't raise their game while others can - you don't win anything for being slightly above average there.
While the mighty England will lose to Bangladesh or some random minnow. Though I'm sure we're all about to hear about how Plunkett can bowl and Cook is a fast batsman and numerous other snippets of biased bull****

Perm

While the mighty England will lose to Bangladesh or some random minnow. Though I'm sure we're all about to hear about how Plunkett can bowl and Cook is a fast batsman and numerous other snippets of biased bull****
How many of his posts have you read? He doesn't want Cook in the Twenty20 team and I'm pretty sure he's unhappy with him playing ODI cricket as well.

Flem274*

123/5
You loved mickey mouse ODI's when they gave you evidence (Little evidence but evidence nonetheless) to suggest how great England were because they beat Australia is the CB series and in 2005.

But of course they were different for some random reason weren't they?

Flem274*

123/5
How many of his posts have you read? He doesn't want Cook in the Twenty20 team and I'm pretty sure he's unhappy with him playing ODI cricket as well.
Too many

Though I admit I havent read the recent England threads that much, but you get the idea (hopefully) I was trying to say.

Perm

You loved mickey mouse ODI's when they gave you evidence (Little evidence but evidence nonetheless) to suggest how great England were because they beat Australia is the CB series and in 2005.

But of course they were different for some random reason weren't they?
Aside from the World Cup and Champions Trophy, major tournaments, then the CB series is probably the next most important ODI tournament on the cricket calender.

Perm

Too many

Though I admit I havent read the recent England threads that much, but you get the idea (hopefully) I was trying to say.
I do, just a poor example you gave. I agree with you though, I thought his anti-NZ bias was shining through in that post.

Flem274*

123/5
Aside from the World Cup and Champions Trophy, major tournaments, then the CB series is probably the next most important ODI tournament on the cricket calender.
True. Though India/Pakistan and the Chappel-Hadlee may give it a run for its money.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Once again against the 'full-strength' Sri Lankan outfit that we lost against, (Malinga didn't play) they batted for 5.5 overs. Completely up to the one man show of Jayasuriya in that match, Murali himself didn't have a massive impact, the batting line up SL fielded against us in the match we won was full strength other than missing Sanath, and the bowling line up had the addition of Malinga, at the expense of Murali.

Sri Lanka are a great outfit as they proved in the recent World Cup, and in most forms of the game NZ and Sri Lanka come out pretty much with drawn figures. Australia is Australia and looking back at the team we played against them, Jeff Wilson is in it. Great rugby player mind you.
(Against
20/20 Int.
W L
Australia 3 - 2
England 2 - 4
India 1 - 0
New Zealand 2 (3) - 2
Pakistan 1 - 1
South Africa 2 - 3
Sri Lanka 2 - 1
West Indies 1 - 1 (2)

Most matches played: England
Most victories: Australia
Most losses: England

Team S/R avg.

Australia: 9.76
England: 8.32
India: 6.40
New Zealand: 7.34
Pakistan: 7.32
South Africa: 7.89
Sri Lanka: 7.70
West Indies: 8.38

Highest Wicket Takers

AUS: A Symonds: 7 at 13.85
ENG: Paul Collingwood: 9 at 13.66
IND: Z Khan: 2 at 7.50
NZL: J Patel & S Bond 5 at 11.00 and 12.80
PAK: A Razzaq 3 at 19.33
RSA: CK Langeveldt 4 at 8.50
SRL: S Jayasuriya 5 at 10.60
WI: DR Smith 5 at 14.20

Odd, don't see anything remarkably better than NZ here.

Flem274*

123/5
Once again against the 'full-strength' Sri Lankan outfit that we lost against, (Malinga didn't play) they batted for 5.5 overs. Completely up to the one man show of Jayasuriya in that match, Murali himself didn't have a massive impact, the batting line up SL fielded against us in the match we won was full strength other than missing Sanath, and the bowling line up had the addition of Malinga, at the expense of Murali.

Sri Lanka are a great outfit as they proved in the recent World Cup, and in most forms of the game NZ and Sri Lanka come out pretty much with drawn figures. Australia is Australia and looking back at the team we played against them, Jeff Wilson is in it. Great rugby player mind you.
(Against
20/20 Int.
W L
Australia 3 - 2
England 2 - 4
India 1 - 0
New Zealand 2 (3) - 2
Pakistan 1 - 1
South Africa 2 - 3
Sri Lanka 2 - 1
West Indies 1 - 1 (2)

Most matches played: England
Most victories: Australia
Most losses: England

Team S/R avg.

Australia: 9.76
England: 8.32
India: 6.40
New Zealand: 7.34
Pakistan: 7.32
South Africa: 7.89
Sri Lanka: 7.70
West Indies: 8.38

Highest Wicket Takers

AUS: A Symonds: 7 at 13.85
ENG: Paul Collingwood: 9 at 13.66
IND: Z Khan: 2 at 7.50
NZL: J Patel & S Bond 5 at 11.00 and 12.80
PAK: A Razzaq 3 at 19.33
RSA: CK Langeveldt 4 at 8.50
SRL: S Jayasuriya 5 at 10.60
WI: DR Smith 5 at 14.20

Odd, don't see anything remarkably better than NZ here.
Loving Englands win loss stats.

Should probably point out i don't have a Hate England streak. Just trying to aggravate SP into a violent rant.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I like basically every world class team. In a supporting order I would go, NZ, SL, WI and Bang (Ireland too), and then appreciation of the other teams, all my love goes to the teams stated.