• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis turns down Pakistan captaincy

Craig

World Traveller
Deadset I'm getting pasag and nightprowler mixed up here with every post. Not happy tbh.

pasag

RTDAS
Amazes me how anyone could mix up an Autobot insignia with a Decpticon insignia tbh.

Also I had it first :p

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yousuf a candidate for captaincy

Nothing unexpected really, as the senior most player it was thought that he would be in with a chance of becoming the captain. Whether he deserves it or not is a different question. I also find it interesting that Salman Butt has been mentioned as a possible captain a few times, despite not being in the Pakistan side at the moment (even though he should be). Does he have any domestic captaincy experience?

Perm

Not sure it would be a wise idea to burden your run machine with the captaincy.
Default choice really, other than Younis he is easily the most experienced player in the Pakistan side. I wouldn't like to see Mohammad Yousuf being appointed captain, but it wouldn't suprise me.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The tests against Australia really make him look bad, don't they. I remember people saying how he looked a bit clueless in those matches. I believe it was following that series that Younis was made VC, and IIRC, Inzamam contested the decision. I don't think the extra responsibility would affect his batting, tbh. He did make his sole ton against Oz as captain.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, but he's in the form of his life and on the verge of becoming a great batsman (if he isn't already) and something that could hinder that, especially when Pakistan need him firing more than ever, should not be treated lightly. On the other hand he might flourish as a batsman with the captaincy like Ponting. You never know.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, but he's in the form of his life and on the verge of becoming a great batsman (if he isn't already) and something that could hinder that, especially when Pakistan need him firing more than ever, should not be treated lightly. On the other hand he might flourish as a batsman with the captaincy like Ponting. You never know.
Tbh, I agree with you and think that he should be kept far and away from captaincy at the moment. But its tricky as the PCB might just end up pissing him off if they don't give it to the most experienced player who is eager to lead, and would rather hand it to Malik who doesn't have as much experience and threw a match to prove a point as captain of the Stallions.

Perm

Tbh, I agree with you and think that he should be kept far and away from captaincy at the moment. But its tricky as the PCB might just end up pissing him off if they don't give it to the most experienced player who is eager to lead, and would rather hand it to Malik who doesn't have as much experience and threw a match to prove a point as captain of the Stallions.
Malik may not have as much Test match experience but he has already captained Pakistan in a few ODI games, as well as being a vice captain when some of the more experienced players are injured or unavailable. He definately has leadership experience, I'm sure he'd be a fantastic captain even if he did throw that match.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Malik may not have as much Test match experience but he has already captained Pakistan in a few ODI games, as well as being a vice captain when some of the more experienced players are injured or unavailable. He definately has leadership experience, I'm sure he'd be a fantastic captain even if he did throw that match.
Well he definitely deserves a chance, as I've said in previous posts. As far as experience goes, I don't he's ever captained Pakistan unless I'm missing something. VC maybe.

Either way, I was just pointing out how the PCB might see things.

Perm

Well he definitely deserves a chance, as I've said in previous posts. As far as experience goes, I don't he's ever captained Pakistan unless I'm missing something. VC maybe.

Either way, I was just pointing out how the PCB might see things.
Turns out you were right, he hasn't actually captained Pakistan in an ODI but has been vice captain on several occasions. He does get a bit of experience leading a shadow Pakistan team in tour openers and that sort of thing, does he have much domestic experience as a captain?

pup11

International Coach
If Younis thinks he would be able to change the way things run in Pakistan cricket then he is making a big mistake.

He is only making things tougher for himself within the team, and i don't see PCB also being too happy with his attitude either.

Swervy

International Captain
I'm pretty disapointed in Younis. This is the second time he's turned down the captaincy. I don't buy his "scared for my family" excuse. Every Pakistani Captain, including Imran, has had to deal with the high expectations of Pakistani fans. Every one of them have had their effigies burned by a few nuts. No one's family has ever been harmed. I think there are other reasons for Younis' decision. Perhaps he felt he didn't have the support in the dressing room. Perhaps he didn't want the added pressure. In any case, I don't want the PCB to ever offer him the position again. In fact, he shouldn't even be the VC. Those positions should goto players that WANT to lead and welcome the challenge. So who are those players? The pickings are mighty slim unfortunately. Shoaib Malik would be my choice. He's young, fit (by Pak standards), and energetic. Woolmer thought enough of him to promote him as a future Captain, which speaks volumes in my book. I hope he's given a chance to lead.
I would say Younis would be on a hiding to nothing if he took over the captaincy. The talent in the team is nowhere near at the level it has been for the last 25 years, and I think times will be quite tough for Pakistan before they get better to be honest, and given the high (and unrealistic, when compared to the teams say Imran captained) expectations, Younis would be in a no win situation I think.

Perm

The only viable options for captaincy now are Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Malik, and Abdul Razzaq. However I would definitely not consider Malik due to this disgraceful incident.

Really it should come down to merit between Yousuf and Razzaq.
You want Abdul Razzaq to captain Pakistan? He would be one of the last people I would want leading them, his attitude and body language is so poor and he has shown nothing to suggest he would make a good captain.

Nishant

International 12th Man
You want Abdul Razzaq to captain Pakistan? He would be one of the last people I would want leading them, his attitude and body language is so poor and he has shown nothing to suggest he would make a good captain.
yh true...i think yousaf should be nxt in line TBH!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Didn't he captain an ODI match recently? I can't remember which one it was, but I do him being absolutely clueless.