• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Have to admit I didn't know that, but it clearly sucks, so my point still stands.

Anyway I thought the 20/20 name came from the obvious pun on 20/20 vision?
Ah, no, it's because there are twenty overs avaliable for each team to bat in. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, it really cuts out those boring middle syllables where the word is just boringly consolidating itself in a predictable fashion. There's no future in that kind of stuff - people like big quick syllables in quick succession, being said by the top speakers in a way that lets them come down after a day's work with a couple of wine coolers.
An all-time Skull contender, even if there are no weekly Skulls at present.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it really cuts out those boring middle syllables where the word is just boringly consolidating itself in a predictable fashion. There's no future in that kind of stuff - people like big quick syllables in quick succession, being said by the top speakers in a way that lets them come down after a day's work with a couple of wine coolers.
:lol: :lol: One of your very best.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Cricketing Psychoanalysis

I love the way that the path of someone's bat swing, the proximity of their fingernails to the seam at any time, the frequency of hitting, the amount of nods to the camera, phraseology of sledging and attitudes to batting with the tail are all damning indictments on a Test cricketer's personality. Hayden scores more than half his runs in boundaries. Never mind the fact that he seldom plays and misses and defied that stereotype at places like Sharjah, Chennai and The Oval (twice); it's obvious he's stupid, borderline psychotic, arrogant and smugly aware of the favourable conditions he plays in. Kallis has a strike rate of 40. Ergo, he's selfish, a prima donna, has delusions of grandeur and is secretly subverting Smith for the SA captaincy. Ponting rarely if ever claims 'I really don't think we were good enough' after tasting defeat and defends his players in front of match referees; consequently, he's the terminal whinger of the cricketing circuit and an emblem of antipodean arrogance.

What ****s me without fail, though, is that these are picked up and run with by most members of the CW community when statistics or other suitable evidence defies their preconceptions or parochial slant. The campaigns against Hayden, Kallis, Pietersen and Murali (beyond just chucking allegations) have reached vendetta status. The slightest misdeed or rush of blood is pounced upon and beaten to death by any amount of oh-so-credible speculation, conjecture and predictions of how they would have done in a bygone era, how a nation regards them, how much respect they command in the dressing room or what path their career would have taken if a butterfly's wings hadn't beaten so hard to cause the gust of wind to divert the course of a ball to cause a chance to be dropped fifteen years ago.

In contrast, real examples of character faults (Afridi's insubordination of Malik as one example) are skirted over and passed by as mere curiosities.

Is nothing sacred?

Matt79

Global Moderator
:clap:

Although I hasten to add I wasn't joining the vendetta against Kallis with my recent poll - rather, I was hopping on the Hussey bandwagon instead.

The_Bunny

State Regular

I love the way that the path of someone's bat swing, the proximity of their fingernails to the seam at any time, the frequency of hitting, the amount of nods to the camera, phraseology of sledging and attitudes to batting with the tail are all damning indictments on a Test cricketer's personality. Hayden scores more than half his runs in boundaries. Never mind the fact that he seldom plays and misses and defied that stereotype at places like Sharjah, Chennai and The Oval (twice); it's obvious he's stupid, borderline psychotic, arrogant and smugly aware of the favourable conditions he plays in. Kallis has a strike rate of 40. Ergo, he's selfish, a prima donna, has delusions of grandeur and is secretly subverting Smith for the SA captaincy. Ponting rarely if ever claims 'I really don't think we were good enough' after tasting defeat and defends his players in front of match referees; consequently, he's the terminal whinger of the cricketing circuit and an emblem of antipodean arrogance.

What ****s me without fail, though, is that these are picked up and run with by most members of the CW community when statistics or other suitable evidence defies their preconceptions or parochial slant. The campaigns against Hayden, Kallis, Pietersen and Murali (beyond just chucking allegations) have reached vendetta status. The slightest misdeed or rush of blood is pounced upon and beaten to death by any amount of oh-so-credible speculation, conjecture and predictions of how they would have done in a bygone era, how a nation regards them, how much respect they command in the dressing room or what path their career would have taken if a butterfly's wings hadn't beaten so hard to cause the gust of wind to divert the course of a ball to cause a chance to be dropped fifteen years ago.

In contrast, real examples of character faults (Afridi's insubordination of Malik as one example) are skirted over and passed by as mere curiosities.

Is nothing sacred?
:notworthy
Greatest post:happy:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Is nothing sacred?
Best post in either gear grinding thread ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Is nothing sacred?
No part of me has ever made any mention of psychoanalysis in the Hayden case. I don't care about his mindset, all I care about is his ability, which I feel is infinitely lesser than some - nay most - claim.

Agree completely about the OTT stuff as regarding especially Kallis and Pietersen, and I've said so several times in the past.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You know what really grinds my gears is that next week this glorious post with all its wisdom will be discarded and forgotten and we will be back to @?***!!!!@!@!@! the same place we werre prior to the post

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim Whelan posting on Cricket Chat

FFS, the guy gets a few minutes on the net, and what does he do? Punning, you might think, to make use of his precious CW time? But no - instead he wastes his time posting on Cricket Chat, actually making constructive points! Has the boy forgotten his true role on this site? *

* This post is deeply in jest, I for one value Whelan's CC contributions pretty much as much as his punning keenness. Shame the kid doesn't have more time to post on CW TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Geoff Allott is a ****. Steal Heath's space in the team will you?? You bastard! I was going to tell all in my biography, but only one copy got made and it was typed on that shiny, shiny toilet paper you only get in old people's homes. ALLOTT I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE YOU CANTABRIAN *** **** *** * **!!!!!
Simply must be transferred. Beaut.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Someone bumped this up so I might as well furnish it.

1. That stupid, pompous, joggy, bouncy running thing that the Australian fielders do

2. The overhead clapt Ponting and Hayden do

Also, I'm not sure if it grinds my gears, but I put forth, to the members of CW - bowlers who wear sunglasses while bowling - too cool for school or just irratitng?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Giles made it cool. Only he can pull it off with as much coolness :cool:

Mark Waugh and Yuvraj can too.

The rest can't compare.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Giles made it cool. Only he can pull it off with as much coolness :cool:

Mark Waugh and Yuvraj can too.

The rest can't compare.
What about Mo Mathews? I remember during a rain break they showed some footage of Mahtews bowling with his sunnies and his HAT on.