• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WOW - First ever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
SD Thomas was hit for 108 runs and had an over to go from his max 10 !! Is that a record too ??

Glamorgan 429 not out !

Surely difficult to beat for a losing side with 50 overs not completely played :p
Darren Thomas' spell was the worst ever in a List-A OD game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Coincidentally there's an article on Ali Brown (now officially the "old Kevin Pietersen"! Or at least according to Kevin Mitchell... :D ) in today's Observer which mentions his 268. Link:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,6903,1479217,00.html
Interesting article - but not entirely accurate, in all honesty. Even in his heyday, Brown's good innings at the top of the order in oneday games were the exception rather than the rule. And the idea that he's currently "in the form of his life" just doesn't wash. His form was pretty moderate for most of 2003 & 2004, and he hasn't started well this year, apart from one brief bash in the 45over stuff.

He's OK, and I suspect that worse players have managed a test or two for England, but that's about it. The article reads like Mitchell fancied a slightly different angle for pop at Pietersen. Thankfully there's not a hint of bitterness from the player himself.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jamee, do you have a life? (You seem to enjoy people in cyberspace by doing various things, such as digging this up needlessly).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Jamee, do you have a life? (You seem to enjoy people in cyberspace by doing various things, such as digging this up needlessly).
"Those who say that other people are stupid are really stupid."

It works better in Norwegian, but you get the idea...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
(You seem to enjoy people in cyberspace by doing various things, such as digging this up needlessly).
How is thread digging enjoying people? :huh:

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
wpdavid said:
Interesting article - but not entirely accurate, in all honesty. Even in his heyday, Brown's good innings at the top of the order in oneday games were the exception rather than the rule. And the idea that he's currently "in the form of his life" just doesn't wash. His form was pretty moderate for most of 2003 & 2004, and he hasn't started well this year, apart from one brief bash in the 45over stuff.

He's OK, and I suspect that worse players have managed a test or two for England, but that's about it. The article reads like Mitchell fancied a slightly different angle for pop at Pietersen. Thankfully there's not a hint of bitterness from the player himself.
I didn't read it quite that way. I thought it more one of those "Ah, if only" pieces in which someone's early promise is revived as a golden memory and which invariably makes the player in question out to have been about four times as good as he was and accuses the selectors of the time of being blinkered and overlooking the greatest talent of his generation.

I reckon there's some justice to the case that he might well have been a better selection than some who played one-dayers instead of him.

Of course, the good thing is that we'll never know, since it didn't happen. And that means that those who saw him belting county one-day attacks all round the park can tell stories about how brilliant he was to watch when he got going and what a pity it was that he didn't get to play more for England. I saw him smash a couple of windows in The Oval pavilion on his way to 90-odd once (I don't make a point of watching Surrey so I haven't seen him much over the years), so I'll happily join in the chorus of reminiscence about him in years to come.

I thought the point being made about Pietersen was that in Brown's day, the obvious lack of cultured technique was a serious block to selection whereas today there's a bit more attention paid to match-winning ability than adherence to the coaching book.

Cheers,

Mike