• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Sachin still have debuted in tests at 16 in today's era?

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yes
Sachin is/was the youngest player to score Test century in ENG/ SA/AUS . No way current players like Gill, Sarfaraz or Patidar will score century overseas in all these countries.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I don't think that is possible. The present India would surely let Sachin mature a bit before letting him earn his first cap
Yes but what would that involve? More A tours? What if he's absolutely dominating it there (very, very likely). How soon do you think he'd have played? 17/18? 20/21?

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Yes but what would that involve? More A tours? What if he's absolutely dominating it there (very, very likely). How soon do you think he'd have played? 17/18? 20/21?
I think 17-18 sounds reasonable enough. But I highly doubt India would risk fielding a 16 year old nowadays if not absolutely necessary.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean I can see either position of Yes or No. He averaged 80 in the Ranji Trophy, so maybe that would be a big enough factor to call him up. Equally, he'd probably be sent on a few India A tours before debuting as has been the protocol for this Indian side.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Yes, I was just about old enough to read the papers and watch Doordarshan at the time and the hype over Sachin was palpable. He wasn’t some random find from Azad Maidan. People wanted him on the field.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yes, I was just about old enough to read the papers and watch Doordarshan at the time and the hype over Sachin was palpable. He wasn’t some random find from Azad Maidan. People wanted him on the field.
16 is a bit old to learn how to read but I guess better late than never

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yes.
Actually he would have played at least one more series. Selectors was reluctant to select a kid to play against lethal pacers of WI, which resulted a delay in the debut even though he was already eligible.

At the age of 18, he was recognized as world's biggest cricket star ( bigger than Viv ) and was far more popular than today's superstars Dhoni and Kohli combined.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Yes.
Actually he would have played at least one more series. Selectors was reluctant to select a kid to play against lethal pacers of WI, which resulted a delay in the debut even though he was already eligible.

At the age of 18, he was recognized as world's biggest cricket star ( bigger than Viv ) and was far more popular than today's superstars Dhoni and Kohli combined.
Dude, seriously?