• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worth playing dead ODI rubbers

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Goughy said:
I think that if games were cancelled after the series was decided then 11 game series would be scheduled in order to maintain revenue and profits.

There is no way a board would risk potential revenue without a plan that covers any potential shortfall.
You're probably right there. And the last thing we want is an ODI series lasting a month, which ends 6-5.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
Is that just this year, or is it a permanent change?
Don't know, to be honest. With all the changes that have been this year, I'd expect most of them to stay for a couple of years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
irfan said:
Just wondering cricketwebbers whether it's worth for teams to play all the games in an ODI series if one team has already won the series (like Ind (4-0) up against Eng in a 7 match series.)
The only positives to come out of ODI dead rubbers are that the winning team has an opportunity to blood new players who may not have truly earnt his selection and the losing team have a chance to reclaim lost 'pride.'
I can understand that in the year before a WC that teams want to play as much as games as possible to try out all their combinations so that they have a clearer idea of their best XI come WC time. But in non-WC years is pride and blooding new players worth enough to play meaningless ODIs. I know that ODI schedules are drawn up long before and the cancellation of games may lead to some venues missing out. Maybe tickets for the last games in a series should only be a sold if both results are possible. I know some cricket organisations see ODI's as they're main revenue but is playing 5,6 ODI's instead of 7 really going to make THAT big a difference for all the major countries?
So I am going to make a case for a basketball-type setup where the last matches in a series aren't played if one team has already won the series. That way the wiining team gets a well deserved break and the losing team doesn't get a chance to get unneccesarily demoralised further or restore confidence in meaningless wins against a second string linuep.

BTW, I am in no way saying that this should happen in tests. Ashes should ALWAYS be 5 tests.
I'm not a huge one for "dead" ODI games - all ODIs are, by definition, "dead" except those in World Cups.
However, all ODIs are important - they're preparation for the next World Cup, and hence are all always likely to be worth playing.