• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst bowler to average lower than 30? (qualification: 50 Test wickets)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bhuvi > Siraj easily. Siraj has been carried and lucky to have played at all IMO.

He's also a complete tool which may affect my analysis

Ali TT

International Debutant
Bhuvi > Siraj easily. Siraj has been carried and lucky to have played at all IMO.

Yes, as thick as mince.

Hilfenhaus for me. Just can't disassociate him from the trash the Aussies put out against us in 2010/11. Bollinger another. Neither fit to lace Peter Siddle's boots, even though he averaged over 30.

TheJediBrah

I actually think Bollinger and Hilfenhaus were fine for most of the short period they were around. It was just such a big drop in quality from Australian quicks before and after that they look bad in comparison. Averaging what they did in some mostly batting friendly conditions shows they were decent enough as well.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, as thick as mince.

Hilfenhaus for me. Just can't disassociate him from the trash the Aussies put out against us in 2010/11. Bollinger another. Neither fit to lace Peter Siddle's boots, even though he averaged over 30.
Bollinger was quality - bustling leftarmer who should've played far more tests. He reminded me a lot of Ryan Sidebottom who I really rated. Sidebottom really should've played heaps more tests, but that's another story.

TheJediBrah

Sidebottom was basically a medium-pacer wasn't he? Reliant on outswing and a bit of seam movement. Bollinger was more of an aggressive, heavy-ball-bowling sort

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Bollinger was quality - bustling leftarmer who should've played far more tests. He reminded me a lot of Ryan Sidebottom who I really rated. Sidebottom really should've played heaps more tests, but that's another story.
Bollinger really seemed to pay the price for that Adelaide Ashes Test and how his fitness wasn't apparently up to standard.

Because apart from his debut Test the rest of his Test career was impressive; but he must've really disappointed those of influence in Adelaide as he was never in the Test frame again.

Certainly rated him a little higher than Hilfenhaus, whose sub-30 Test average is almost entirely based on his 11/12 series against a washed up Indian batting lineup. Gets my vote based on bowlers I've seen.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Rodney Hogg.
During WSC split Rodney Hogg cleaned up the full strength poms in his first test series. Also made the XI when Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe were available after WSC. He was one of the 3 establishment players to make the full strength side along with Allan Border and Kim Hughes

Definitely not the worst pace bowler out there worthy of a mention in this thread

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

During WSC split Rodney Hogg cleaned up the full strength poms in his first test series. Also made the XI when Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe were available after WSC. He was one of the 3 establishment players to make the full strength side along with Allan Border and Kim Hughes

Definitely not the worst pace bowler out there worthy of a mention in this thread
could be a bit of this:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bollinger really seemed to pay the price for that Adelaide Ashes Test and how his fitness wasn't apparently up to standard.

Because apart from his debut Test the rest of his Test career was impressive; but he must've really disappointed those of influence in Adelaide as he was never in the Test frame again.

Certainly rated him a little higher than Hilfenhaus, whose sub-30 Test average is almost entirely based on his 11/12 series against a washed up Indian batting lineup. Gets my vote based on bowlers I've seen.
He stuffed his ankles and was forced to miss the 2011 world cup. I'm not sure how long he was unfit for, but he only played two matches in the 2011/12 Shield season before injuring an ankle again.

Then after the brief and odd interlude of Trent Copeland in SL they started playing guys like Starc and Pattinson (and Cummins for a test), Siddle was a steady presence, Harris fit in enough patches and Hilfenhaus had his Indian summer.

By the time he was fit again in 2012/13 he was 31 going on 32, Johnson was finally in form after some technical changes (not that we all believed it until Brisbane in 2013), and Bird was a quite reasonable next cab off the rank. The only real question mark was when they played John Hastings at Perth, but he was doing a bit better domestically at the time.