• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayley Matthews smashes 140*(150) against Pakistan in an ongoing 1st ODI. The next best score was 45 from Shemaine Campbell.

And with the ball, she’s just picked up a wicket. She is Sobers.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Essex and Somerset ahead of Yorkshire or Middlesex. I understand the Essex bid was in concert with the surrounding group of Minor Counties and was well constructed, but still a bit of a surprise to see non-Test venues get a gig.
It's those 8 counties in 2025 (Essex, Lancs, Durham, Surrey, Notts, Warwicks, Somerset, Hampshire) and then 10 by 2027 with Yorkshire and Glamorgan added. So even tougher for Kent and Sussex to swallow given their tradition in the game: (Edwards, Beaumont, Greenway, Marsh and Taylor, Elwiss, Colvin recently for example)
Still maintain that the ECB are using Women's cricket to lead the way. 8 plus 2 more to be added soon is their preferred route with franchise cricket and this will in their eyes prove themselves right. They will hold the women's game up as an example of how to proceed with 8 or 10 counties.
Meanwhile Yorkshire, Kent and Leicestershire lead the way criticising the ECB

Molehill

International Captain
It's those 8 counties in 2025 (Essex, Lancs, Durham, Surrey, Notts, Warwicks, Somerset, Hampshire) and then 10 by 2027 with Yorkshire and Glamorgan added. So even tougher for Kent and Sussex to swallow given their tradition in the game: (Edwards, Beaumont, Greenway, Marsh and Taylor, Elwiss, Colvin recently for example)
Still maintain that the ECB are using Women's cricket to lead the way. 8 plus 2 more to be added soon is their preferred route with franchise cricket and this will in their eyes prove themselves right. They will hold the women's game up as an example of how to proceed with 8 or 10 counties.
Meanwhile Yorkshire, Kent and Leicestershire lead the way criticising the ECB
It's not just them though. In the Minor Counties, Berkshire, for example have produced both Knight and Bell in recent years.

I find Durham perhaps the biggest surprise in the list, but perhaps it's a plan to encourage growth in an area which hasn't seemingly done a lot for Women's Cricket so far.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
It's not just them though. In the Minor Counties, Berkshire, for example have produced both Knight and Bell in recent years.

I find Durham perhaps the biggest surprise in the list, but perhaps it's a plan to encourage growth in an area which hasn't seemingly done a lot for Women's Cricket so far.
Can Cumbria claim (UAE raised) Mahika Gaur as she went to finishing school for 5 minutes in the County before joining Lancashire?
More seriously, Berkshire were not even allowed to bid.

Molehill

International Captain
Can Cumbria claim (UAE raised) Mahika Gaur as she went to finishing school for 5 minutes in the County before joining Lancashire?
More seriously, Berkshire were not even allowed to bid.
To be fair to Kent and Sussex, I think there's a certain heirarchy already in place in the SE. I mentioned the couple I met on holiday, they live in Whitstable, Kent and their daughter (Alexa Stonebridge) is signed on to the SE Stars (Surrey).

Historically, more players have come through this region because I think London and surrounding areas were just ahead when it came to Women's Sports (football very similar). But there's undoubtedly huge untapped potential in the NE.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A proper thriller just took place...last over heart attacks.

3 needed off the last ball. Karishma Ramharack smashed it for a boundary. Wild scenes.