• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will England produce a (decent) leg spinner in our lifetime?

Will England ever a HALF-DECENT Legspinner

• Yes!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No!

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swervy

International Captain
Adil Rashid looks to be englands next Star spinner, but i don't really know what to think of him. He does have a very good temperment and does have good control but i don't think he's as good as people put him down to be. Probably just another Chris Schofield type player, fast-tracked into the team but doesn't perform with the ball as hoped then dropped after 1/2/3 test matches and resigned to county cricket for the rest of his career.
I think Rashid is a bit more developed as a cricketer than Scofield was at a similar age.
There is much talk around the cricket fields of Yorkshire that Rashid is the best cricketing talent produced by Yorkshire for eons. From what I have seen of him, I am impressed, just hope England don't rush him through too quickly

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Rashid is a bit more developed as a cricketer than Scofield was at a similar age.
There is much talk around the cricket fields of Yorkshire that Rashid is the best cricketing talent produced by Yorkshire for eons. From what I have seen of him, I am impressed, just hope England don't rush him through too quickly
That was said about Anthony McGrath too, you do know?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He was whacked by the Indians pretty badly in the tour game I think.
By the same token Zaheer Khan and most of the other Indian bowlers were fairly ineffectual in that game. Khan was smashed to all parts and India's spinner hardly did great. Rashid's performances in the four day championship for Yorkshire this year have been impressive and I wouldn't take a tonking from Sachin as a career slight, considering there isn't too many alternatives.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
By the same token Zaheer Khan and most of the other Indian bowlers were fairly ineffectual in that game. Khan was smashed to all parts and India's spinner hardly did great. Rashid's performances in the four day championship for Yorkshire this year have been impressive and I wouldn't take a tonking from Sachin as a career slight, considering there isn't too many alternatives.
Zaheer Khan has performed before though at various levels, so is not comparable to Rashid. I heard that he was tonked by some lower order players too. I agree that one game cannot determine any thing but while I am in favor of playing players as soon as they are ready, I don't believe in rushing players either. Do you believe he is ready? When should England blood him according to you?

Adil Rashid this season FC bowling
:

2007 (England) 2093 40 1345 35 5-88 38.42 3 0

Certainly not out of this world. I would like him to perform consistently and consitently against the best for at least a bit before I blood him.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
That was said about Anthony McGrath too, you do know?
I don't remember anyone saying that about Anthony McGrath...
however I will ask around...one of my mates used to play U-18 level with him (against the likes of Vaughan no less), I will see what he says!!!

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Must be a fair bit younger than you then...

Read Wisdens and other stuff like that around the 1995-1996-1997 sort of time. McGrath was hoped - with some justification - to be one hell of a player. As is Rashid.

However, the fact that part of Rashid's game is wristspin means he'll probably have even bigger hopes pinned on him.

And it's equally possible that we're going to be disappointed. Me, I'd be ecstatic if Rashid did prove to be a deal, obviously, but I'm not going to hold-out my hopes until we get some real sensational evidence to suggest he's more than a middling wristspinner.

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Adil Rashid looks to be englands next Star spinner, but i don't really know what to think of him. He does have a very good temperment and does have good control but i don't think he's as good as people put him down to be. Probably just another Chris Schofield type player, fast-tracked into the team but doesn't perform with the ball as hoped then dropped after 1/2/3 test matches and resigned to county cricket for the rest of his career.
Your suppose to thinks he's good like the rest of us :gora:

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Rashid looks like he could be a decent option for the future. Hes got a high action , turns the ball quite a bit from what I can remember. And hes got a wrong-un aswell. Hes got all of the delieveries to become a very good player , hes just got to be nutured , and not be rushed. Very Important.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope most of us regulars might still be TBH, but there really is no seeing that far ahead TBH.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
i voted "no" on the basis that we have been playing Test cricket for 130 years without producing one, why start now? Even "tich" Freeman who no one could deny was great in CC did not play a lot of Tests. Rashid is the main hope. in the Roses match he went at 4 an over but got good players out - Hodge, Sanath (who he might meet next winter - when Sky are talking up Graham Swann for a SL tour you know you've got spinning problems) and Stewart Law who he got out stumped when Lancs were chasing a bonus point that Yorks got instead) but I still think it would be premature to take him to SL - but who else have we got? Btw, do any Yorkshire fans know what happened to his leg-spinning partner from last year Mark Lawson, who sems to have gone off the radar? It would take so much prssure off Rashid if there was another young leg spinner about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
i voted "no" on the basis that we have been playing Test cricket for 130 years without producing one, why start now?
Get the feeling a certain Robert Cribb might have summat to say about that. :)

TBH, he's not wrong. Just because we never have before doesn't in itself mean we won't do in future (possibly immediate future). However, many of the reasons contributing to why we haven't down the decades are very much still in place now and it does seem Rashid, while better than most English wristspin bets for at least 20 years (Salisbury was nowhere near as hopeless as some make-out), is nowhere near as good (yet at least) as some seem to be making-out.