• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it viewed as more important

subshakerz

International Coach
This is again a misrepresentation as I've always said it impacted Wasim. You and Smalisha can dig as long as you want.

I've said it impacted, the longest argument about that was when PkF or Subz wanted to quantify it and I clearly said I wouldn't know how much to do so

I would also also argue that it cost more in terms of wins or losses than even personal average impacts.
Werent you trying to quantify missed catches for runs earlier? Now suddenly it's hard to quantify when its bowlers you prefer to keep downgraded?

Pretty sure you can shave at least 1, maybe 2 points for both Imran and Wasim thanks to slip misses. I can attest I saw Wasim dropped almost once a test on average.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure you can shave at least 1, maybe 2 points for both Imran and Wasim thanks to slip misses. I can attest I saw Wasim dropped almost once a test on average.
Add 4 to 5 points on for ball-tampering and another 2 or 3 for home umpires and you have a deal my friend

subshakerz

International Coach
****ing hell dude, you literally did this in this thread and argued that slip fielding is incredibly important because every missed catch cost 16 runs or something.
Based on @kyear2s equation of a 16 runs per dropped catch and assuming a liberal extra catch drop every two games for Wasim, his adjusted average should be 21.6.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Add 4 to 5 points on for ball-tampering and another 2 or 3 for home umpires and you have a deal my friend
Haha poor catching being some peripheral factor that largely gets evened out by other things is the dumbest ****ing thing we pretend to be true here. That and bowlers in strong teams not benefitting massively from scoreboard pressure.

subshakerz

International Coach
Wasim > Imran.

Imran enjoyed the perks of home umpiring and ball tampering without being put through the torture of match fixing and bad slip fielding. Wasim faced both obstacles without getting much of the first two benefits, and therefore greater. :ph34r:
Wasim was a tamperer and likely fixer himself so I don't get that point.

And I have yet to see evidence that slip quality in Pakistan improved from Imran's to Wasims time. It is just that in the latter case we have more video recall.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Based on @kyear2s equation of a 16 runs per dropped catch and assuming a liberal extra catch drop every two games for Wasim, his adjusted average should be 21.6.
Surely a lot more than that? I might be completely wrong here, but that number sounds plausible for a great bowler who moves the ball away in a team that can actually catch a bit.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
9779 runs conceded
414 wickets
104 matches

Suppose Wasim had an extra catch dropped every two games 'relative' to other ATGs, that would mean he should have got another 52 wickets (in his 104 tests).

9779 / 466 wickets = 20.98

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You know what, it actually suits where most experts rates Wasim and close to where I do.....
Yeah, Wasim imo is slightly better than both Ambrose and Steyn and possibly also Imran. I'd have him as probably the 4th best pacer of all time. So I often like to include him in my ATG XI.

And it's not a surprise that he gets picked in so many ATG XIs ahead of Hadlee, Steyn, Ambrose, etc. Former cricketers are not stupid

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Wasim imo is slightly better than both Ambrose and Steyn and possibly also Imran. I'd have him as probably the 4th best pacer of all time. So I often like to include him in my ATG XI.

And it's not a surprise that he gets picked in so many ATG XIs ahead of Hadlee, Steyn, Ambrose, etc. Former cricketers are not stupid
You don’t pay much attention do you?