• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Kohli and Shastri force Limited overs players into Tests?

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
From what I've seen he's waaaaay better than the last significant Umesh Yadav I saw back here in 14/15, who had so little directional control I thought he was gong to bounce one over second slip. Yadav might be better with the old ball in india, but that's irrelevant to the current series. Right now Bumrah just took more wickets at a lower economy than any of the other Indian pace bowlers on a less favourable surface than the one Yadav was not that impressive on in the first test. And Yadav is probably my favourite Indian bowler and I've been wanting good things out of him since his first visit down here in 11/12 so it's not like I'm irrationally against him or anything.
That's slightly exaggerated, look at Ishant "the worst bowler to play 100 tests" overall record in Aus, SA, NZ or Eng. If you discount the extremely pacer friendly wickets in 2018, none of the Indian pacers have impressed away from Asia ever. Yadav for all his ills has had just one test in bowler friendly conditions, he didn't do any worse than Bumrah in Cape Town, in fact Bumrah was just as wayward in SA as Shami. Our best pacer on these surfaces is BK, he's sitting in India, surprisingly Ishant is the second most consistent bowler - though considering the infinite rope he's gotten, it isn't that big a deal that he's delivered (somewhat mediocre) results.

Last edited:

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Did you actually see his bowling down here? It was hideous, he actually somehow managed to regress significantly. The scariest thing was that Aaron was worse.
Regress, who are you talking about? If it's Yadav then this is the first time he's bowled in tests with the Duke's in England, first time in actual swinging conditions outside Asia. As the three Mitches will tell you, it takes a while to get used to the Duke's btw he bowled better in the second innings, much better. He also avg less in England than Sharma or Shami (less than half) which is to say that the performance of the current lot is highly conditions dependent.

Screenshot (76).pngScreenshot (75).png

Just to be clear I'm talking about the "regress" part, he's not regressed IMO, the Aus tour could've been a one off considering the pitches were also flatter wrt 2011 series.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You post like an idiot. If you were rooting for the Indian team, you wouldn't care if someone other than your pet favorite got the wickets. Bumrah has two five wicket hauls in four Tests. Umesh has one after 38. Do the math, the kid is here to stay.

Bolo

State Captain
You post like an idiot. If you were rooting for the Indian team, you wouldn't care if someone other than your pet favorite got the wickets. Bumrah has two five wicket hauls in four Tests. Umesh has one after 38. Do the math, the kid is here to stay.
Sounds like me, just in reverse. I've been hoping for umesh and Ishant to fail so that my pet favourite, Bumrah can get a game. Frustrating to see that type of potential (plus Kumar) being sidelined in favour of the mediocre.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like me, just in reverse. I've been hoping for umesh and Ishant to fail so that my pet favourite, Bumrah can get a game. Frustrating to see that type of potential (plus Kumar) being sidelined in favour of the mediocre.
Actually, we do not have to hope for anyone to fail. All 4 are doing good right now along with Shami and finally, India have a pace attack. Healthy competition for places like it is right now is what we need.

SteveWaugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I will hope that Bumrah fails, because of the way Vijay, Karthik and Umesh are treated by Kohli.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(in no order)

Ishant
Shami
Bhuvi
Yadav
Bumrah

Anderson
Broad
Woakes (at home)
Curran

Boult
Southee
Wagz

Cummins
Haze
Starc

Gabriel
Roach

Steyn
Rabada
Ngidi
Philander

Amir
Abbas
Ali

Ahmadzai

Lakmal

Fizz

Pretty solid collection of fast bowlers. When most of them retire and we look back at this period I think it'll be considered an era of overall good quality fast bowling.

I'm sure I've missed out a few as well.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Actually, we do not have to hope for anyone to fail. All 4 are doing good right now along with Shami and finally, India have a pace attack. Healthy competition for places like it is right now is what we need.
They have been good recently. But they are workhorses. I would rather see the guys with higher ceilings given a shot.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
(in no order)

Ishant
Shami
Bhuvi
Yadav
Bumrah

Anderson
Broad
Woakes (at home)
Curran

Boult
Southee
Wagz

Cummins
Haze
Starc

Gabriel
Roach

Steyn
Rabada
Ngidi
Philander

Amir
Abbas
Ali

Ahmadzai

Lakmal

Fizz

Pretty solid collection of fast bowlers. When most of them retire and we look back at this period I think it'll be considered an era of overall good quality fast bowling.

I'm sure I've missed out a few as well.
Only a handful of them are fast bowlers though :happy:

Borges

International Regular
If it is uncountable, one hand; as in a handful of sand.
If it is countable, it just means a reasonably small number.