• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why did Ganguly giveup his ODI opening slot ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One could argue that Gambhir deserves a run just as much as Uthappa. Really, Sehwag should've been dropped a while back and these two should've been tried and tested by now.
I don't see how Gambhir deserves a chance more than Uthappa.

Uthappa's domestic record is better and Gambhir's played ODIs before and not set The World alight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag will eventually be a middle order ODI batsman IMO, particularly when Sachin and Dravid are gone.
Hasn't that one already been tried and failed.

Actually, let me rephrase that: yes, it has.

I simply can't conceive that Sehwag will EVER have what it takes to be a middle-order \ end-of-innings batsman in ODIs. If he's going to succeed, he'll do it at the top of the order.

And IMO he's had more than enough chances and if he never plays another ODI he can have precisely no complaints whatsoever about that.

adharcric

International Coach
I don't see how Gambhir deserves a chance more than Uthappa.

Uthappa's domestic record is better and Gambhir's played ODIs before and not set The World alight.
Gambhir turned in consistent performances in the Top End Series, Irani Trophy and Duleep Trophy. Uthappa has really turned it on in the Ranji Trophy but both have been in very good form in the past year. Gambhir was dropped because he was throwing away starts, not because he wasn't good enough for international cricket. He went back and piled up the runs. That said, Gambhir and Uthappa equally deserve a chance. Both have controlled aggression, the ability to rotate the strike and athleticism in the field. Gambhir probably got the nod because he did better in the nets and he's more experienced.