• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you have?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mohammad Asif >prospect than any of the current Aussie crop, even Hilfenhaus.
Personally, I disagree. I think Johnson, Hilfy and maybe Tait will turn out to be as good or better. But at the moment, he's had an extremely impressive beginning to his career, and my reservations are based only on my impression (and I'd hate to admit it but perhaps there's an element of parochialism there) - I may turn out to be completely wrong.

When I said there were no decent young spinners, I knew I was forgetting someone - Monty. I'd be seriously tempted to take him given what Australia does and doesn't already have on the park or in the wings.

pasag

RTDAS
As it stands now, I agree with Richard. Asif, from what I've seen looks like an excellent bowler in the making if he isn't already and I'd be suprised if any of our current crop of prospects ever overtake him. But you're for sure right in saying our fast bowling stocks are pretty good already and if we could choose one player, I probably wouldn't choose another fast bowler.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think my view would be agreed with by many, and as I said, I'd not be surprised to be wrong, but that's what I think. But even if I thought the consensus was right and he'll be better than the Aussie prospects, Perm was correct in saying that the issue is we have bigger problems than our fast bowling stocks, which are as strong as any countries...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Where Asif has the edge is that he's shown he can cut it at Test level - something the Aussie boys still have to prove. Asif may lose form, be found out, or just not adapt to differing conditions and opponents as career progresses, we'll only know that with the passing of time. But his very, very impressive start to his Test career means that for now the Aussie boys (and everyone else for that matter) are playing catch-up.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
For Australia (though I do't support any particular team), I'd say Kallis so everyone stops talking about the Australian Flintoff nonsense.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
For Australia (though I do't support any particular team), I'd say Kallis so everyone stops talking about the Australian Flintoff nonsense.
It would be quite fascinating to see how Kallis would fit into the Australian team, particularly under Ponting. I'm not sure his style or approach would necessarily mesh well, fine cricketer though he undoubtedly is.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
God, what is with you and all these acronyms? This is worse than the text speech tenagers indulge in. There's atleast the possibility of connecting the dots and making some sense in the latter case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, ITSTL is emphatically not mine, it's Murphy's but is used by most of the CW crowd, even those who hated him and wish his ghost would be expelled from the castle.

It means interesting to say the least, BTW. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If you could pick one player (current) to play for your country who would it be? remember if they are 35 they will only have 1-2 seasons with you.
Can I have more than one pleeeeeaaaaase

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Personally, I disagree. I think Johnson, Hilfy and maybe Tait will turn out to be as good or better. .
Good luck with that that prediction then :)
Asif has far more control than Tait could ever dream of.....Johnson and HilfenHaus are good but certainly in Johnson's case I don't think he's as anywhere near as good as the "once in a lifetime" tag that was bestowed on him by Lillee. Unfortunately he's probably gonna be judged by that for the rest of his career.....I think he'll be decent but Asif has exceptional ability IMO.....really Asif I think can be one of the greats iuf he can retain focus (no drugs please) and fitness.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Good luck with that that prediction then :)
Asif has far more control than Tait could ever dream of.....Johnson and HilfenHaus are good but certainly in Johnson's case I don't think he's as anywhere near as good as the "once in a lifetime" tag that was bestowed on him by Lillee. Unfortunately he's probably gonna be judged by that for the rest of his career.....I think he'll be decent but Asif has exceptional ability IMO.....really Asif I think can be one of the greats iuf he can retain focus (no drugs please) and fitness.
And IMO they're two quite big "ifs", so we'll see... ;)

Along with having to avoid reverting to the mean, just like Stuart Clark is going to have try to do. I think Asif has understandably got people excited, but I think the hype might be a little over-the-top because he's the first decent non-Australian quick to emerge for the best part of a decade...

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
We definitely need an allrounder and I'm gonna pick one out of left field and say Moises Henriques (for India) if he can overcome his injuries and and get a couple of solid FC seasons under his belt he'd be the ideal allrounder to come in at No. 7 + the fact that he's a 10 year prospect which makes him more ideal than current allrounders like Flintoff or Kallis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Along with having to avoid reverting to the mean, just like Stuart Clark is going to have try to do. I think Asif has understandably got people excited, but I think the hype might be a little over-the-top because he's the first decent non-Australian quick to emerge for the best part of a decade...
Umm... Andre Nel? Andrew Flintoff? Matthew Hoggard? All emerged within the last 3-4 years.