• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has the best top 6 between india, australia and south africa ?

Motorwada

Banned
-mention south africa and australias failings in england
-get mad when someone mentions india failings in england

lol
Just stating facts. India's failing in England is equivalent to SA/Oz failing in some Asian country. But Sa/Oz fail in Eng too. Ind never fail in any Asian country.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
South Africa for me, have all bases covered in that top six, players that have succeeded all over the world. The most versatile top six and I think they will be the strongest until such players as de Villiers, du Plessis and Amla start moving on, which hopefully for them won't all be at the same time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, we all know how superbly the Indian batting fared the last time they were in England...
You're not wrong but that was the only tour where India's batting was a disappointment. In SA, Australia, NZ the batsmen usually put up good totals on the board. The bowling was awful as always.

Motorwada

Banned
South Africa for me, have all bases covered in that top six, players that have succeeded all over the world. The most versatile top six and I think they will be the strongest until such players as de Villiers, du Plessis and Amla start moving on, which hopefully for them won't all be at the same time.
Not really. The Indian batsmen have had more 'all round' success than SA's. Du Plessis hasn't done well in England or Asia. De Kock similar. Elgar has only really done well in NZ and SA. Markram has just debuted. Amla has performed well historically but has not been at his best in the last 2 years. De Villiers is playing after a long time and was not that good in his last few matches before 'retiring'.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
People rate South Africa's batting because overall they are a solid test side for most part. But the reason they are such a good Test side has more to do with their bowling. Their batting routinely scores below par totals and get bailed out by their exceptional bowling attack.
In Australia in the 1st test, they were bowled out for 250 odd on a flat Day 1 wicket and it was a stupendous bowling performance that brought them back in that game. In the second test, they bowled out Australia for 85 which basically sealed the game. Batting failed in the third test and this time it wasn't possible to fight back.

In New Zealand the batting collapsed a few times and were lucky to not lose the third test. In England, similar story and their bowling was unable to make up for it.

Teams like India and Pakistan (with YK, Misbah) have over the last few years put up better batting performances overall. The reason they don't have the away performances of South Africa is because they don't have the bowling.

Last year's Australian home season was a great example.

Pakistan batted better than South Africa overall but came back with 0-3 whereas South Africa came out with 2-1. The difference was Pakistan never took 20 test wickets.

Pakistan batted better than them in England as well, but this time Yasir performed in 2 games and they managed to win 2 test matches.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Not really. The Indian batsmen have had more 'all round' success than SA's. Du Plessis hasn't done well in England or Asia. De Kock similar. Elgar has only really done well in NZ and SA. Markram has just debuted. Amla has performed well historically but has not been at his best in the last 2 years. De Villiers is playing after a long time and was not that good in his last few matches before 'retiring'.
We can pick random countries for virtually every batsmen where they may not have scored as heavily, Murali Vijay has a poor record in South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand, for example, and I'm sure Dhawan struggles in most places that isn't Asia.

Du Plessis has done fairly well in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Elgar has only really done well in SA and NZ ?? He's done very well in English conditions aswell. Amla and de Villiers are world class, admittedly nearing the end of their careers, but are still world class.

De Kock and Markram are both very young, De Kock has shown how good a player he can be for SA at either six or seven while early indications of Markram are that he's going to be a real player.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
You're not wrong but that was the only tour where India's batting was a disappointment. In SA, Australia, NZ the batsmen usually put up good totals on the board. The bowling was awful as always.
That's because they received exceptionally flat tracks in all those countries (Uncharacteristically flat and friendly, in the case of the two matches in South Africa). We'll see how well they do in this cycle.

vcs

Yeah, so let's ignore all their past successes and judge them by their future hypothetical failures, because reasons.

OverratedSanity

That's because they received exceptionally flat tracks in all those countries (Uncharacteristically flat and friendly, in the case of the two matches in South Africa). We'll see how well they do in this cycle.
Joburg flattened out in the second innings. Was very sporting in the first.

Motorwada

Banned
We can pick random countries for virtually every batsmen where they may not have scored as heavily, Murali Vijay has a poor record in South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand, for example, and I'm sure Dhawan struggles in most places that isn't Asia.

Du Plessis has done fairly well in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Elgar has only really done well in SA and NZ ?? He's done very well in English conditions aswell. Amla and de Villiers are world class, admittedly nearing the end of their careers, but are still world class.

De Kock and Markram are both very young, De Kock has shown how good a player he can be for SA at either six or seven while early indications of Markram are that he's going to be a real player.
Even if you do all those kind of things Indian batsmen come out on top. Also my top 6 includes Rahul isntead of Dhawan. Elgar averages 30 something in England.

Also context has to be taken in consideration regards to current form etc. Vijay's poorer records go back to 2010 etc. His last tour in SA was good. Sehwag, Gambhir, Sachin, Dravid, Laxman too were world class names in 2011 but they had started to decline. Same with Amla.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Even if you do all those kind of things Indian batsmen come out on top. Also my top 6 includes Rahul isntead of Dhawan. Elgar averages 30 something in England.

Also context has to be taken in consideration regards to current form etc. Vijay's poorer records go back to 2010 etc. His last tour in SA was good. Sehwag, Gambhir, Sachin, Dravid, Laxman too were world class names in 2011 but they had started to decline. Same with Amla.
Yes Elgar averages 36 in England, on a stats based analysis it is below what he would deem acceptable. He was out cheaply a few times during that series, which let's be honest happens a lot in England opening up against the new ball, but if you watched any of that series you couldn't help but be impressed by his courage, tenacity, determination and no less skill in compiling three very good knocks in that series. Sometimes simply looking at the stats does not tell the whole story.

So Amla is in decline, yet you say 'that context has to be taken in consideration with regards form', Amla's last five scores 83,137,28,132 and 5. Admittedly mainly against weaker opposition, but that's his current form. He's not finished yet. You say Vijay's poor performances are invalid as they go back years, but earlier besmirched de Villiers for a few failed knocks before he temporarily retired ?

No, Indian batsmen do not come out on top when you weigh it all up, in my opinion. Not sure we'll agree on this one. Not because I don't rate this Indian batting line-up, there are some excellent players that I enjoy watching, just think SA will prove they're stronger over the next 18 months or so.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Over the last few years these three countries have lost some legendary batsmen through retirement and have been trying to fill the voids left by these cricketer's ever since. However in the last 2-3 months ( in Australia's case this past month) it's safe to say that these teams may have settled on a top 6 that could play for the next 2-3 seasons at least. Below are list of the strongest possible top 6(IMO) of INDIA,AUSTRALIA and SOUTH AFRICA that will be playing TEST cricket over the next 2-3 years. Which top 6 is the strongest for all conditions home and away?...you decide

INDIA
1.Vijay
2.Dhawan
3.Pujara
4.Kholi
5.Rahane
6.Saha

AUSTRALIA
1.Warner
2.Bancroft
3.Khawja
4.Smith
5.S.Marsh
6. M.Marsh

SOUTH AFRICA
1.Markram
2.Elgar
3.Amla
4. De Villiers
5. Du Plesis
6. De kock
It is Australia, India and then SA. Amla is starting to fade away, ABD might not be a regular and the others are not at the highest level consistently enough.

Aus have Warner and Smith, supplemented by Khawaja and Bancroft. India have Pujara and Kohli, who the others can play around.

But, I find it difficult to rank any batting line up particularly high if they are not able to score big and win tests for their country in foreign climes. No batting line up, these 3 included, can do that currently, or do it consistently enough.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Outside Warner and Smith all of the Australian batsmen in the current side have either been dropped for being rubbish or are about to be dropped for being rubbish. In the last 12 months.

Nobody can argue that our top 6 or 7 is the best with a straight face. We have mediocre batsmen and Warner and then the second coming of Bradman.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Outside Warner and Smith all of the Australian batsmen in the current side have either been dropped for being rubbish or are about to be dropped for being rubbish. In the last 12 months.

Nobody can argue that our top 6 or 7 is the best with a straight face. We have mediocre batsmen and Warner and then the second coming of Bradman.
The same can be said for any of those sides, as so much of the batting is condition dependent.

I believe that's why the use of the word "best" isn't correct here. Unless they all go out and perform else where, they aren't the best of anything.

I just read that Aus have a tour in the UAE later this year, if true and this side actually puts up a fight unlike last time, then we can start labelling the best. Same goes for India in their away tours and SA must avenge losses to Eng.

stephen

The same can be said for any of those sides, as so much of the batting is condition dependent.

I believe that's why the use of the word "best" isn't correct here. Unless they all go out and perform else where, they aren't the best of anything.

I just read that Aus have a tour in the UAE later this year, if true and this side actually puts up a fight unlike last time, then we can start labelling the best. Same goes for India in their away tours and SA must avenge losses to Eng.
How many batsmen in the South African batting lineup have been dropped in the last 12 months? What about India's batsmen?

mr_mister

I would say easily India. The amount of proven international batsman they have hanging around the scene is incredible

Rahul, Vijay and Dhawan trying to fit into 2 spots

and then Kohli, Pujara, Rohit, Rahane trying to fit into 3

Pandya, Ashwin and Jadeja is a lot of all rounders as well.

They're spoilt for choice