• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you consider to be SL's best bat from the 1980s?

Best of these bats during the 1980s?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
from the early days of SL cricket, 4 big names stand out. 2 would go to be even bigger names in the '90s, but during the '80s, who do we give the title to?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Roy Dias was highly rated and a beautiful batsman to watch. Yes, Aravinda would ultimately become a better player, but I'm not sure he was in the 80s.

mr_mister

My only concern with Roy Dias' record is that he only scored 5 first class centuries from 93 matches

3 of them in his 20 tests

It's quite odd to me that he was even so highly rated in the first place - but no doubt his test record looks great in the context of a minnow nation's early beginnings

His ODI record is also far better than Duleep Mendis - but Mendis managed 12 FC tons and was only 6 runs away from scoring a ton in each innings of a test twice(105 and 105 in one, 111 and 94 in another)

Like Damian Fleming if Shane Warne held onto that catch, he'd be quite an unlikey holder of such a rare and prestigious feat

Funnily enoug he also hit 53 and 124 in a third test. When he was hot he was hot was Mendis. From these 3 tests he produced 4/4 of his test tons and 2/8 of his test fifties. I guess his other 21 matches were quite unremarkable but that's no way to gauge a player right

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sorry there was a lag. I had opened the page before your posts and got into some work. Then came back and posted Mendis name as a response to the Roy Dias post but I see you have already brought him up. :)

mr_mister

oh - so you were just suggesting he should hold the title as best SL bat?

I thought you were saying you hadn't heard of him. Which would have been interesting to me.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I voted for Arjuna here. Had just about the best record of the quartet in 1980s. Performed decently in Aus and Eng.

Aravinda had a great series in Australia in 1988-89 but was far too inconsistent in 1980s.

Dias ad Mendis were experienced players when they debuted but couldn't out perform Ranatunga who debuted as a teenager and was young and inexperienced through most of this decade.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from the names above it was infortunate Ranjan Madugalle bombed away from SL - was possibly the most talented. Really odd that Brendon Kuruppu only played 4 tests after scoring a incredibly slow 200 vs Hadlee on test debut to set up a rare draw.Also Asanka Gurusingha was quality but was also more 90s than 80s.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
ODIs, it's Arjuna Ranatunga. Broke in to top 10 IIRC.

Test matches, it was still Aravinda de Silva. His 167 in Brisbane was easily the best knock by a Lankan till then on foreign soil.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hardly know any SL cricketers barring Aravinda and Arjuna. Two excellent batsmen.
But what were their records in the 80s?