• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow - great showing by the Windies. Bradman had shaped as the difference between the two teams and the Windies bowlers did a great job of keeping him down. Surprising, but then he certainly never faced an attack of the kind he confronted in this series. Still, I'd back him to do better in the return series...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
True, but then neither Conrad Hunte or Matt Hayden ever faced attacks of that quality either! I'm backing The Don to dominate in the Caribbean.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll post my thoughts on the return series here from an Australian selector's point of view, though it will help too if we can get the final series averages as well.

With the exception of Hayden, who has now picked himself for the tour of the Caribbean, our openers didn't perform. Trumper made a superb hundred in the First Test but did little else, and Morris didn't perform either as expected. Given Ponsford's vulnerability to extreme pace I'm not sure he's the man to take to the West Indies, so perhaps Bob Simpson is worth a look? I'd also make a case for Sid Barnes, though his career of only 13 Tests may count against him.

The middle order was a real worry as well. Bradman is a lock and scored runs, even if not at his usual Bradmanesque levels. However Chappell, Harvey, Waugh and Ponting all made runs only intermittently, and none really lit up the way we were hoping they would. This upcoming tour is going to require not only great ability but a whole lot of heart and courage to score runs in most trying conditions imaginable. I think we have to find a spot now for Alan Robert Border.

Miller was a little disappointing - a poor series with the bat and while he bowled well in the first three Tests, he fell away when it mattered in the fourth and fifth. Dropping him at this point is still unthinkable and I'm backing him as well to make a significant contribution in the Caribbean, but he has to step up and he knows it.

Gilly did little wrong and made some very useful runs with little support from the lower order - he's locked in.

And for the bowlers - Lillee took wickets as we always knew he would, even if they came a little expensively at times. McGrath was consistently excellent which is no surprise, but the rest of the attack still has a question mark. Davo seems a better option than Lindwall on current form, though if we're prepared to dip back into history for the England XI I think we can do the same for Australia, and Fred Spofforth's strike rate might prove invaluable. Warne did reasonably well without lighting up but he has no real competition with Tiger being in such disappointing form. Indeed, on West Indian pitches I'd be tempted to just take the one spinner and an extra paceman, bringing Spofforth in to replace O'Reilly in the touring squad.

Those are just my thoughts, eager to hear what my fellow Australian selectors think.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Simmo should definitely come in. Border into the middle order also seems a good idea. Davidson should move ahead of Lindwall, but I'd keep Ray in the squad. Agree that a second spinner to back up Warne might be a luxury we can do without.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just inviting everyone who's been enjoying this series to come put their two cents in for the upcoming All Time England vs. All Time South Africa series in the "Fantasy Cricket Thread". The South African's squad for their tour of England is being finalised as we speak. :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So provisionally Simpson in for Morris or Trumper, Border in for one of Punter/Chappell/Harvey/Waugh and Spofforth in for O'Reilly?

Matt79

Global Moderator
You want Steve Waugh coming with you on a tour of the West Indies, so I'd suggest he be kept in as a definite. Ponting is such a good player of the pull shot, you think you kinda want him to face up to the Windies quartet. So its probably Chappell or Harvey for the long jump. I hate to say it, but I'd vote for Harvey to be the man left behind. He was probably marginally better than Greg in this series just gone, but I'd back Chappell to come back stronger in the Windies...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed - Chappell's unofficial series in WI for WSC was probably the greatest of his career. Sorry Neil.

Slifer

International Captain
Wow i must say that Im very surprised with the outcome of this series but nevertheless here are my 2 cents:

Test Venues:
1st Sabina (Jamaica) Bouncy Wicket
2nd Bourda (guyana) Flat Wicket
3rd QPO (Trinidad) Uneven bounce
4th Kensington Oval (Barbados) Bouncy Wicket
5th ARG (Antigua) Flat Wicket

Those have been the traditional WI test venues for the last few years and their traditional playing conditions.

I think the Wi squad might need a serious shake up for the return series given the record of at home. As for Australia, i wood be very hesistant to walk with a spinner as none ofthe pitches (maybe trinidad) in the Wi really favor spin plus i cant think of an Austraia spinner who had a great record in the Caribbean.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wow i must say that Im very surprised with the outcome of this series but nevertheless here are my 2 cents:

Test Venues:
1st Sabina (Jamaica) Bouncy Wicket
2nd Bourda (guyana) Flat Wicket
3rd QPO (Trinidad) Uneven bounce
4th Kensington Oval (Barbados) Bouncy Wicket
5th ARG (Antigua) Flat Wicket

Those have been the traditional WI test venues for the last few years and their traditional playing conditions.

I think the Wi squad might need a serious shake up for the return series given the record of at home. As for Australia, i wood be very hesistant to walk with a spinner as none ofthe pitches (maybe trinidad) in the Wi really favor spin plus i cant think of an Austraia spinner who had a great record in the Caribbean.
Would it be that bad if you chose some of the new venues for this series is Providence Stadium in Guyana & SVR Stadium in Antigua.

For all those so called selectors/organisers of this all-time series after you are done with the windies/australia, India vs Pakistan would be a superb series to have.

JBH001

International Regular
Great series, have loved following it - and am not really surprised that WI took it out. :p

A little surprised about the Don, but then he had never faced an attack like that, had he?

Also, though i am not a selector, I agree with matt79s comments regarding the selection of the Aus team for the return series.

A line-up of Hayden, Simpson, Bradman, G Chappell, S Waugh, A Border looks ideal for the Caribbean, I think, with a lot of grit and heart all the way through the order.

And yes, as Aussie said, after that bring on the Pak vs India series!

Its only a pity that as a Sri Lankan/Kiwi I cant get involved in selection. :(

adharcric

International Coach
JBH001 said:
Its only a pity that as a Sri Lankan/Kiwi I cant get involved in selection. :(
Oh yes, you certainly can. Aussies select the Aussie side, everyone else selects the WI side (roseboy, slifer and real WI fans are head selectors).

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm doing an England-South Africa series next, but following that India and Pakistan sounds like a great idea - unless Adharcric wants to run it after the Windies-Aus return leg.

With the Eng-SA series, I've suggested that "neutrals" adopt a country, and that given there are a lot more English than SA fans here, that they adopt SA as their team.

adharcric

International Coach
Tour Stats

Most Runs
CC Hunte - 643 runs @ 71
DG Bradman - 520 runs @ 58
ML Hayden - 459 runs @ 66
BC Lara - 408 runs @ 45
CL Walcott - 360 runs @ 51
IVA Richards - 330 runs @ 37
AC Gilchrist - 310 runs @ 78
GS Sobers - 257 runs @ 29
RN Harvey - 233 runs @ 39
GA Headley - 233 runs @ 29
VT Trumper - 225 runs @ 28
GS Chappell - 168 runs @ 24
KR Miller - 155 runs @ 19
DL Haynes - 92 runs @ 31
CG Greenidge - 91 runs @ 15
PJL Dujon - 79 runs @ ---
AR Morris - 48 runs @ 12
SR Waugh - 44 runs @ 22
RT Ponting - 44 runs @ 15
ED Weekes - 27 runs @ 27

Most Wickets
MD Marshall - 26 wickets @ 21
DK Lillee - 22 wickets @ 29
CEL Ambrose - 21 wickets @ 25
GD McGrath - 19 wickets @ 32
SK Warne - 18 wickets @ 31
J Garner - 16 wickets @ 30
KR Miller - 12 wickets @ 32
MA Holding - 10 wickets @ 33
RR Lindwall - 8 wickets @ 33
CA Walsh - 5 wickets @ 22
WJ O'Reilly - 5 wickets @ 60
GS Sobers - 4 wickets @ 92
AK Davidson - 3 wickets @ 38

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I'm doing an England-South Africa series next, but following that India and Pakistan sounds like a great idea - unless Adharcric wants to run it after the Windies-Aus return leg.

With the Eng-SA series, I've suggested that "neutrals" adopt a country, and that given there are a lot more English than SA fans here, that they adopt SA as their team.
Having the England-South Africa and Australia-West Indies series in parallel sounds like a good idea. We can wait on the India-Pakistan series - perhaps I will prefer to just be one of the Indian selectors rather than the simulator.

JBH001

International Regular
Having the England-South Africa and Australia-West Indies series in parallel sounds like a good idea. We can wait on the India-Pakistan series - perhaps I will prefer to just be one of the Indian selectors rather than the simulator.

You'd probably want a break too, would'nt you? :)

But it sounds a good idea to run both series concurrently, and thanks for the heads up regarding selection - will definitely get involved with a few comments regarding WI selection for the return series.

(and SA selection too, though I know far more about English cricket, still its a chance to learn a bit more about the great SA cricketers :))

adharcric

International Coach
Australia in West Indies - Squad Selection

Australia
Here is the squad that seems to be favored by the selectors ...
Simpson, Hayden, Trumper/Morris/Ponsford/other/nobody, Bradman, Chappell, Ponting, Waugh, Border, Gilchrist, Miller, McGrath, Lillee, Spofforth, Davidson, Lindwall, Warne

Aussie selectors, please make up your mind on the final place in the squad.

West Indies
Hunte, Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Headley, Lara, Weekes, Sobers, Walcott, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Walsh, Gibbs

Any changes to this squad?