• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Victor Ian

International Coach
Here's my problem with India, who should really be a shoe in. Just like Lillee gets derided for his Pakistan record, even though common sense should over ride the reasons for this hole in his record, India has no form against Pakistan. You have to perform against your greatest rivals. India has not done this. It's a crying shame.

subshakerz

International Coach
Here's my problem with India, who should really be a shoe in. Just like Lillee gets derided for his Pakistan record, even though common sense should over ride the reasons for this hole in his record, India has no form against Pakistan. You have to perform against your greatest rivals. India has not done this. It's a crying shame.
India will walk over Pakistan atm. Guarantee you Kohli would regain his form in that series.

Only Misbahs team in UAE would have a fighting chance.

Victor Ian

International Coach
India will walk over Pakistan atm. Guarantee you Kohli would regain his form in that series.

Only Misbahs team in UAE would have a fighting chance.
It may seem like the obvious result, but rivalries make the current underdog grow a leg. Against India, I could see the uncles and Afridi being a force.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
India's greatest rival in test cricket is Australia. Ind-Pak test matches have mostly been a bore with plenty of draws. The 99 series was the only one that had good matches.

Against Australia 2001, 2003, 2017, 2018, 2020 all have been good series. Plus you had the tied test, Kapil in MCG back in the day etc.

Ind-Pak is not a sporting rivalry per se but more of a sporting dimension of a political rivalry. Like USA-USSR during the cold war. It's not like the Ashes, where England and Australia are quite chummy diplomatically.

subshakerz

International Coach
India's greatest rival in test cricket is Australia. Ind-Pak test matches have mostly been a bore with plenty of draws. The 99 series was the only one that had good matches.

Against Australia 2001, 2003, 2017, 2018, 2020 all have been good series. Plus you had the tied test, Kapil in MCG back in the day etc.

Ind-Pak is not a sporting rivalry per se but more of a sporting dimension of a political rivalry. Like USA-USSR during the cold war. It's not like the Ashes, where England and Australia are quite chummy diplomatically.
Actually, in LOIs, Pakistan - India rivalry has been quite fantastic. Tests not so much.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If it ever becomes a regular thing, India versus Pakistan will be the premier rivalry in cricket. Australia have had rivalries with the West Indies, South Africa and India while they have been the teams to beat, but England is where it's at. The same will be true for India versus Pakistan. They'll enjoy beating England and Australia now, but you are all kidding yourselves if you think pummeling Pakistan (or vice versa) into the ground right now would not make your cricket viewing complete.

Sunil1z

International Regular
If it ever becomes a regular thing, India versus Pakistan will be the premier rivalry in cricket. Australia have had rivalries with the West Indies, South Africa and India while they have been the teams to beat, but England is where it's at. The same will be true for India versus Pakistan. They'll enjoy beating England and Australia now, but you are all kidding yourselves if you think pummeling Pakistan (or vice versa) into the ground right now would not make your cricket viewing complete.
Nah , it became regular in 2000s and we got extremely flat wickets in 2004,2005,2006 and 2007.
Both India and Pakistan are cowards when comes to playing test against each other . Neither side wants to lose against another . So they roll out 500 plays 500 pitch

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
@subshakerz I think it is about playing style and results don`t matter. Even if they lose this current test vs NZ, England should be the best current team in the world because they play bazball.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
They aren’t losing . Pitch has flattened . Perfect conditions for Bazball.
Yes, the pitch has totally flattened. But if NZ give England a 6 per over target or so for the fifth day, I am sure they will go for it and in the process, there is a chance NZ can eke out wickets for a win.

Brookman is crucial. He is the guy who can make a difference.

subshakerz

International Coach
Nah , it became regular in 2000s and we got extremely flat wickets in 2004,2005,2006 and 2007.
Both India and Pakistan are cowards when comes to playing test against each other . Neither side wants to lose against another . So they roll out 500 plays 500 pitch
2004 and 2005 were reasonably good series though on batting friendly surfaces.

The 2006 and 2007 series were total let downs on complete roads.

Ali TT

International Debutant
And WI and Bang. Especially WI.

Eng last won in WI in 2004 and that is their only series win there in the last 50-60 years.

Eng won in Aus in 2010-11 and Ind in 2012. Ind won in Eng in 2007 and NZ in 2009. These are all after 2004.

So I don't see how Eng's challenge can be Ind/Aus and Ind's can include NZ/Eng but Eng's doesn't include WI.

And for all the talks about WI being weak etc, time and again strong teams have gone their and lost. It hasn't happened just once but has been happening continuously. KP, Cook, Anderson, Broad etc etc have never won a series in WI (Anderson was in the 04 squad but didn't play a game).
The Windies are weak, just that they up their game/England lowers theirs every time they met.

shortpitched713

International Captain
He is a Pakistani. He would change his logic everyday as long as his logic doesn’t favour India .
Don't tar us all with this allegation.

I only do this when it's Pak v Ind H2H. In which case I know for a fact that Naseem Shah > Bumrah, Yasir Shah > Ashwin and Abdullah Shafique > Sharma and we would sweep you anytime, anyplace you had the guts to face us, rankings or whatever be damned!

Sunil1z

International Regular
Don't tar us all with this allegation.

I only do this when it's Pak v Ind H2H. In which case I know for a fact that Naseem Shah > Bumrah, Yasir Shah > Ashwin and Abdullah Shafique > Sharma and we would sweep you anytime, anyplace you had the guts to face us, rankings or whatever be damned!
It is certainly possible tbh .
Salman Butt and Shoaib Malik owe half of their career to Indian bowling attack.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nothing scarred more as an Indian cricket fan in the 90s than Pak players playing like world beaters against us only to suck against other teams.

That said, 90s Pak really have only themselves to blame for not having been the best side then and one of the best ever IMO. Anwar Sohail Ijaz Inzy Malik Moin Mehmood Wasim Waqar Saqlain Mushy

Razzaq and Ballbiter etc in reserves. What a waste of phenomenal talent.

subshakerz

International Coach
Nothing scarred more as an Indian cricket fan in the 90s than Pak players playing like world beaters against us only to suck against other teams.

That said, 90s Pak really have only themselves to blame for not having been the best side then and one of the best ever IMO. Anwar Sohail Ijaz Inzy Malik Moin Mehmood Wasim Waqar Saqlain Mushy

Razzaq and Ballbiter etc in reserves. What a waste of phenomenal talent.
As a Pakistan fan of the 90s, it was a most diasppointing experience.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You really are an idiot. If you can't see that there has been a remarkable difference between Roots Eng and Stokes I don't know what to say to you........what is the premise of this thread you utter moron? It's not talking about the last 3 or 4 years. It talking right now.
Can't believe there is a bigger moron in this thread than subs.