• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the fourth greatest test team of all-time?

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
Late 20s and mid 50s English teams and the Australian team just at the beginning of the 20th century are I think 3 excellent choices; as is mid 60s Windies. For me, it's between these 4 and the 2016-19 India team.

Bolo.

International Captain
Is there anyone who puts the invincibles outside the top 3? 3 sounds right to me, but I'm curious if this is a solid consensus.

srbhkshk

International Captain
When I did a bit of analysis some time ago, it was SA 13 (with Eng 11 and Ind 17 very close.). SA 70s also seemed like the best team of their time before the ban but didn't play enough to actually pass the mentioned three in absolute terms.

1709102776383.png

Coronis

International Coach
When I did a bit of analysis some time ago, it was SA 13 (with Eng 11 and Ind 17 very close.). SA 70s also seemed like the best team of their time before the ban but didn't play enough to actually pass the mentioned three in absolute terms.

View attachment 39395
Australian test cricket took a long time to recover from WSC. Thanks Kerry.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
70s SA better than any other team in history.
Procter, Pollock , Richards, Rice, Vander Bijl... All top tier ATG talents.
Its like Sachin, Lara, Kapil, Imran, Mcgrath playing in same team..

Ali TT

International Regular
How are you comparing sides here? The Windies and Aussie sides ruled for a decade or more while the Invincibles and 1970 SA teams existed for literally a single series.

Perhaps the top 4 are Lloyd's West Indies, Richards's West Indies, Ponting's Australia, Waugh's Australia in any order

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
being serious I'd consider late 80s Pakistan as well if the competition is things like Woakes' England and de Villiers and du Plessis' SA

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
How are you comparing sides here? The Windies and Aussie sides ruled for a decade or more while the Invincibles and 1970 SA teams existed for literally a single series.

Perhaps the top 4 are Lloyd's West Indies, Richards's West Indies, Ponting's Australia, Waugh's Australia in any order
Not entirely true. Australia had won 7 series in a row post War till 1952 before drawing one. The invincibles was just there best iteration. Also, Lloyd's and Richard's WI and Waugh's and Ponting's Australia are largely the same team.....

Ali TT

International Regular
Not entirely true. Australia had won 7 series in a row post War till 1952 before drawing one. The invincibles was just there best iteration. Also, Lloyd's and Richard's WI and Waugh's and Ponting's Australia are largely the same team.....
I'd probably favour some degree of longevity - England 2009-11 had a pretty high peak but faded quite quickly thereafter so I wouldn't rank them that highly in comparison to others.

I guess in my time watching the game the South African side that emerged after the Aussies began their slide c2008 and remained strong until about 2015 would rank pretty highly. It has a couple of holes - second opener, spinner, but the side was packed with players of very high to ATG standard.

A bit before my time but where would the Pakistan side of IK in the late 80s/early 90s sit? The only one to really challenge the Windies in that period.