• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players are/will be ATGs?

Sunil1z

International Regular
In other sports , how much percentage of total players are considered ATG ?

For eg. if you restrict the percentage to 1 , then Fab 4 except Smith aren’t ATG .
If you restrict the percentage to 2. all of them are .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In other sports , how much percentage of total players are considered ATG ?
That's not the only way to look at it. It depends on how many players are good enough to be considered ATG (by whoever is deciding).

It doesn't have to be an arbitrary percentage

James

Cricket Web Owner
That's not the only way to look at it. It depends on how many players are good enough to be considered ATG (by whoever is deciding).

It doesn't have to be an arbitrary percentage
I agree with this.

On a separate note, a tweet on X appeared in my feed today:

Makes some good point about possible rules for ATG:

In Test Cricket; 82 bowlers have taken 200+ wickets... Out of them only 9 managed it with less than 22.5 Bowling Average... Only 4 out of these 9 did it with less than 50 Strike Rate too... For any bowler usually below 25 Avg & below 50 Strike Rate is remarkable achievement; This 22.5 Avg & 49.8 Strike Rate are worst numbers of Malcolm Marshall against any team!
It's why in an earlier post of mine, in my view, to be an ATG, you have to have a fantastic record against every team, in all conditions.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with this.

On a separate note, a tweet on X appeared in my feed today:

Makes some good point about possible rules for ATG:

It's why in an earlier post of mine, in my view, to be an ATG, you have to have a fantastic record against every team, in all conditions.
I mean, with that definition you’d end up with a list much shorter than 11, if any at all.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 to be precise. Bradman and Marshall.
Surely not, as long as you're reasonable and not too picky with the definition of "fantastic record". For example you're not going to withhold status from Steve Smith because off his record against Bangladesh from 2 matches.

McGrath would qualify, worst opposition is averaging 27 against SA
Tendulkar, worst average by opposition is 42 against SA & Pakistan

Those are just the first 2 I checked and fit the definition of "fantastic record" within reason, taking into account the rest of their records. I think most proper ATG players would be similar

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Surely not, as long as you're reasonable and not too picky with the definition of "fantastic record". For example you're not going to withhold status from Steve Smith because off his record against Bangladesh from 2 matches.

Those are just the first 2 I checked and fit the definition of "fantastic record" within reason, taking into account the rest of their records. I think most proper ATG players would be similar
Richards is another. Worst average by opposition is 72 against Australia

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Mcgrath averages 30 odd from 9 tests in Srilanka and Pakistan. Sachin averages 42 from 43 tests against Pak and SA. If we have to find faults, we can find faults in everyone.

I agree with you that one has to be reasonable. You can't be saying that one has to be fantastic against all opposition and in all conditions to be an ATG. Need to relax on those terms. How much one relaxes these terms determine the count of ATGs and these relaxation norms vary from person to person.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Mcgrath averages 30 odd from 9 tests in Srilanka and Pakistan. Sachin averages 42 from 43 tests against Pak and SA. If we have to find faults, we can find faults in everyone.

I agree with you that one has to be reasonable. You can't be saying that one has to be fantastic against all opposition and in all conditions to be an ATG. Need to relax on those terms. How much one relaxes these terms determine the count of ATGs and these relaxation norms vary from person to person.
Marshall fails this one as well if you are running it by country. 32 In NZ from 3 tests.

Ambrose and Garner are the most uniform by country. Worst of 25.

number11

State 12th Man
Are G Smith and Greenidge ATGs? Fab 3 are as good as those guys at least.
Context is key as opening is tougher. Fresh bowlers, whatever assistance is in the pitch is first up etc.
Neither of them will make an AT XI. G.Smith would make an era XI I feel - he was a superb opener.