• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which aspects of test cricket have regressed in the current era?

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah but neither Broad or Anderson would be considered for an world ATG XI. And averages or not, only Smith would be considered in the Lara/Sachin level atm. As for Donald, he has a better case to be in an ATG Xi than any current bowler, except for maybe Cummins. That's it.
Tendulkar is basically the batting equivalent of Anderson. Astonishing longevity to a high level, but not the worldy averages or the box office style of player of others with more talent.

I'd put the recently retired Steyn ahead of Donald.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar is basically the batting equivalent of Anderson. Astonishing longevity to a high level, but not the worldy averages or the box office style of player of others with more talent.

I'd put the recently retired Steyn ahead of Donald.
There has never existed a more talented cricketer (Bradman aside) than Tendulkar. The bloke was thrown into test cricket at 16 and got a 50 against 2 ATG pacers away. He was universally accepted as the finest batsman since Bradman by the time he was 30. And then he had a second peak when his contemporaries had been retired for years. Nonsensical post all around.

Last edited:

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Has the standard of captaincy declined in that time? Stokes seems the only truly inspirational captain around now. Back in the day we had Vaughan, Ponting, Clarke, Smith, Vettori, all players who brought something extra to the team.

Molehill

International Captain
There has never existed a more talented cricketer (Bradman aside) than Tendulkar. The bloke was thrown into test cricket at 16 and got a 50 against 2 ATG pacers away. He was university accepted as the finest batsman since Bradman by the time he was 30. And then he had a second peak when his contemporaries had been retired for years. Nonsensical post all around.
Not round these parts he wasn't.

I'd like my best since Bradman to be averaging more than 53, especially as he massaged that with 16 Tests against a very poor Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. His numbers don't even stack up against Kallis who was busy taking 300 wickets at the same time.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Has the standard of captaincy declined in that time? Stokes seems the only truly inspirational captain around now. Back in the day we had Vaughan, Ponting, Clarke, Smith, Vettori, all players who brought something extra to the team.
Seems more like a thing in sports worldwide. With the differences in how things are run these days, the leadership aspect appears to be less important. Even though on field in cricket the captain’s tactics are important, a lot more credit goes to coaches and staff these days, perhaps rightly so.

For example, you consider Stokes to be inspirational, but it seems like McCullum has had far more influence on this run of success.

Molehill

International Captain
Not sure many of those actually improved their team by captaincy skills other than performing well themselves.

I think you could include Williamson recently as getting the most out of that NZ side.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'd like my best since Bradman to be averaging more than 53, especially as he massaged that with 16 Tests against a very poor Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. His numbers don't even stack up against Kallis who was busy taking 300 wickets at the same time.
Except Tendulkar averaged 58 over as many tests as Kallis/Ponting etc. Richie Benaud put him 'a level above the likes of Greg Chappell' when he picked his all time XI and so did Bradman. Faulting someone who succeeded handily against the best teams of his time for not minnow bashing enough is.. a unique take.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

You’re wasting too much bait, I doubt you’ll catch anything big.

Molehill

International Captain
Except Tendulkar averaged 58 over as many tests as Kallis/Ponting etc. Richie Benaud put him 'a level above the likes of Greg Chappell' when he picked his all time XI and so did Bradman. Faulting someone who succeeded handily against the best teams of his time for not minnow bashing enough is.. a unique take.
That's not even what I said. I pointed out he improved his average by minnow bashing.

I mean if you want to do selective average checks, over the last 10 years Anderson has taken 393 wickets at 22.6, meanwhile Cummins (your ATG) has a mere 210 at 21.7.

The more you analyse the stats, the more you realise Jimmy is the bowling equivalent of Sachin.

Ali TT

International Debutant

:laugh: from the debates on C247 you have to be trolling to discredit Tendulkar for massaging his figures against Zim/Bang then in the next sentence compare him unfavorably to Kallis.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
But how does this compare to the 80s and early 90s? For example, the best batter of that era, Sir Viv, only converted about a third of his fifties, yet by the 00s there were quite a few less impressive players who converted half.
Current era is 'better' than the 1980s. The 50s to 100s conversion rate was 42% in the 1980s.

Edit. Actually I wasn't comparing using the same query.
Previously I was only looking at conversion rate of top 6 batters.

1980s conversion rate by that measure is 47%
'Better' than current era, not as good as 2007 to 2013.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Conversion rate probably pretty much correlates with averages, right?
I don't know. Probably.

Which correlates to better bowlers, or harder pitches ....

Personally I think it means the cricket is better if the conversion rate is 'worse'.

Flem274*

123/5
Guess Kohli is a better slipper than Dravid because he debuted more recently.
This is a disingenuous rebuttal. You think this comment (and 95% of your posts these days) makes you look funny and like you have no time for nonsense, but it just makes you look like a massive dickhead.

I don't agree with Molehill either but come on, no one died and made you the post quality police. Start with your own and stop patronising someone trying to engage with you in good faith.