• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatsup with the Windies / England!?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
with england they have the talented players to definately be a top ODI team, just haven't produced the results. All they need is some consistency & i think they will be able to do that sooner rather than later.
With Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Jones, Blackwell and Plunkett around we have no chance.
Our sum-total of talented players currently in the picture amounts to... Trescothick, Pietersen, Flintoff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
England's bowlers need to find the right length
You need talent to do that - it's now highly doubtful whether Harmison posseses that, and I've always doubted whether Jones, Plunkett, Blackwell, Anderson and the others on the fringe have the talent, too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
With Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Jones, Blackwell and Plunkett around we have no chance.
Our sum-total of talented players currently in the picture amounts to... Trescothick, Pietersen, Flintoff.
Talent is relative.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
West Indies need to develop the bowling firepower, England need to develop the batting firepower and both need to develop some consistency. Potential is definitely there.
That potential is there with Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Blackwell, Jones, etc. etc. is highly debatable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I know. Let's get Ealham and Robert Croft out there. 8-)
Croft has retired.
Please, please - tell me how on Earth Plunkett is a better one-day bowler than Ealham? Or Wharf? Or Kabir Ali? Or Simon Jones?

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
"The talent to do well at the ODI level" is what I meant.
But Anderson and Harmison at the very least have done well at ODI level on occasion. Are they just insanely lucky? (considering that they lack ODI talent)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
West Indies are a test playing nation, and a potentially great one at that, they should be able to step in with some financial assistace... it's for the good of the game. The same can be said for Zimbabwe.

The ICC need to start to take a stand and not let themselves be dictated to (by India, Australia or England). They often go soft on important issues and a hazy issues (bowling actions, tour schedules, technology, Ricky's Bat....). The only real area they've made peogress on is Match Fixing.
You can give Zimbabwe all the money you want, it'll just end-up in some Zanu PF foreman's pockets.
Until Zimbabwe has a new govornment, nothing in there will recover, cricket included.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Croft has retired.
Please, please - tell me how on Earth Plunkett is a better bowler than Ealham? Or Wharf? Or Kabir Ali? Or Simon Jones?
You might want to stick an "ODI" in there somewhere before people really start to get fired up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Anderson and Harmison at the very least have done well at ODI level on occasion. Are they just insanely lucky? (considering that they lack ODI talent)
Harmison has been hammered far more often than he's done well (which, really, amounts to the summer of 2004 and some of the summer of 2005).
Have you missed the number of times Anderson has bowled rubbish and ended-up with 9-50-3 or something?

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kabir Ali is good and Hoggard is effective in ODI matches...

What happened to Gough? Surely he has another World Cup in him... Is he still dancing on that Fairy TV Show?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :@

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
the rest are debatable but you got to be joking about Collingwood..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Harmison has been hammered far more often than he's done well (which, really, amounts to the summer of 2004 and some of the summer of 2005).
Have you missed the number of times Anderson has bowled rubbish and ended-up with 9-50-3 or something?
So he's taken 3 wickets a number of times then. That's a level of success, so whether or not he has the talent to be effective, he is effective in that regard.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Croft has retired.
Please, please - tell me how on Earth Plunkett is a better one-day bowler than Ealham? Or Wharf? Or Kabir Ali? Or Simon Jones?
Simon Jones is injured. I agree with Kabir Ali. Ealham's 36, ffs. Let him be put out to graze in peace. Wharf: :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
Kabir Ali is good and Hoggard is effective in ODI matches...
Only team Hoggard has been effective against in ODIs is Zimbabwe... good Test bowler, yes, but he's had enough ODI chances IMO.
What happened to Gough? Surely he has another World Cup in him... Is he still dancing on that Fairy TV Show?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :@
Nah, that was only a shortish thing.
Still copped more than his share of rubbish about not caring enough about playing for England.