• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatsup with the Windies / England!?

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Okay, so I read my earlier Post (Attention All South Africans), and the question was posed "why isn't England playing good one day cricket?".

Sure, they have a wonderful line up, I'm a massive Strauss fan (even though he avereges close to hundred against my team), good strikers in Petersien and Flintoff, wonderful bowlers in Jones and Hoggard (I don't rate Harmison, sorry!:unsure: )

Then we have the West Indies, who in all fairness, are pretty useless at the moment, but with a batting line up which includes Lara, Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan, why is it that they are consistantly beaten and bowled out for low scores, sure, they don't have the best bowling attack, but even if they did they would have nothing to bowl to!

So, why are England succeeding in Tests and not in ODI (even when full strength), and why are the Windies batteling so much in both forms- Lara isn't going to last forever, and then what lies ahead for the Windies!?

It doesn't make sense!?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
with england they have the talented players to definately be a top ODI team, just haven't produced the results. All they need is some consistency & i think they will be able to do that sooner rather than later.

Windies also have some shot gun in their side like Gayle, Sarwan, Dwayne Smith etc, enough talent to a capable ODI side i think since they seem to struggle in tests since their batsmen are aggressive. Looking at the WC & seeing what they have in their ranks if the Windies field this side at home they could be a force:

Gayle
Hinds
Sarwan
Lara
Chanderpaul
Ramdin
Bravo
Smith
Bradshaw
Collins
Edwards

Dean

That's almost the same team they're fielding against New Zealand in their losing ODI sreies!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
even though they last 4-1 after the 1st game they really challenged NSW & the series could have gone their way if they knew how to finish off the kiwis. But in home conditions that XI their will be a treat i'm sure.

Dean

And by the way, why was Lara having a go at Flemming demandind more respect because "The Windies have a greater cricketing history than New Zealand"...

By those standards, no one would be able to challange the West Indies, even Australia... Lara must stop whining and score some runs, althogh, I'll be sad to see him go, the West Indies fans will be horrified to see him go.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
West Indies' batsmen need to knuckle down a bit. England's need to get off to better starts. England's bowlers need to find the right length, West Indies' need to find some penetration. Both teams could improve their fielding, with a few exceptions (Collingwood, Bravo, Dwayne Smith).

Dean

aussie said:
even though they last 4-1 after the 1st game they really challenged NSW & the series could have gone their way if they knew how to finish off the kiwis. But in home conditions that XI their will be a treat i'm sure.

An International team should not challange a territorial team, they should beat them, convincingly.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It wasn't a case of Lara overreacting as to NZ media questioning the WI Test status apparently. Foreign newspapers have asked questions of the WI but I'm guessing it's the manner in which it was done which annoyed Lara.

Dean

roseboy64 said:
It wasn't a case of Lara overreacting as to NZ media questioning the WI Test status apparently. Foreign newspapers have asked questions of the WI but I'm guessing it's the manner in which it was done which annoyed Lara.

Fair point. I think this whole issue of stripping test status from certain countries should just be put to rest. Why not develop their skills at the top level instead of consistantly knocking their confidance. Besides, Zimbabwe have enough internal problems of their own.

I've suggested this before:

What about an "A Leauge Test Series" featuring Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Papa Ginuea, France, Namibia, Kenya etc... Then the bottom team on the regular ICC rankings drops off to join the A Leauge, whilst the top ranked team in the A Leauge moves up to test status for the cycle... every 5 years or so!?

Dean

roseboy64 said:
They playe NZ not NSW actually.

Hey ROSEBOY64, not many Windies fans on this site, good to see you coming to your teams defence- good for you!

adharcric

International Coach
West Indies need to develop the bowling firepower, England need to develop the batting firepower and both need to develop some consistency. Potential is definitely there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a rather more complex problem with the West Indies team at the moment. The constant turmoil behind the scenes (bankrupcy, sponsorship rows, contract issues, personnel changes, etc. etc. etc.) certainly isn't helping the on-field process.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
West Indies' batsmen need to knuckle down a bit. England's need to get off to better starts. England's bowlers need to find the right length, West Indies' need to find some penetration. Both teams could improve their fielding, with a few exceptions (Collingwood, Bravo, Dwayne Smith).
The pleasant thing about West Indies cricket right now is that the newer players seem to be very much above average fielders. For one, Runako Morton is a superb slip fielder, as he showed in Sri Lanka last year and against James Franklin earlier in this match.

Daren Ganga (not a new player really) is an excellent ground fielder and an above average catcher.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The constant turmoil behind the scenes (bankrupcy, sponsorship rows, contract issues, personnel changes, etc. etc. etc.) certainly isn't helping the on-field process.
Nor is picking players and dropping them again straight away.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The pleasant thing about West Indies cricket right now is that the newer players seem to be very much above average fielders. For one, Runako Morton is a superb slip fielder, as he showed in Sri Lanka last year and against James Franklin earlier in this match.

Daren Ganga (not a new player really) is an excellent ground fielder and an above average catcher.
I've not really seen enough of the West Indies recently to know - maybe that kind of thing is the sort of small step needed for West Indies to gradually get back on the road to greatness. Well, goodness at least. :p :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
Okay, so I read my earlier Post (Attention All South Africans), and the question was posed "why isn't England playing good one day cricket?".

Sure, they have a wonderful line up, I'm a massive Strauss fan (even though he avereges close to hundred against my team), good strikers in Petersien and Flintoff, wonderful bowlers in Jones and Hoggard (I don't rate Harmison, sorry!:unsure: )

Then we have the West Indies, who in all fairness, are pretty useless at the moment, but with a batting line up which includes Lara, Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan, why is it that they are consistantly beaten and bowled out for low scores, sure, they don't have the best bowling attack, but even if they did they would have nothing to bowl to!

So, why are England succeeding in Tests and not in ODI (even when full strength), and why are the Windies batteling so much in both forms- Lara isn't going to last forever, and then what lies ahead for the Windies!?

It doesn't make sense!?
Hoggard a wonderful ODI bowler?
What have you been smoking?! :blink:
I'm a massive Strauss fan - in Tests. Not in ODIs, though.

Dean

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's a rather more complex problem with the West Indies team at the moment. The constant turmoil behind the scenes (bankrupcy, sponsorship rows, contract issues, personnel changes, etc. etc. etc.) certainly isn't helping the on-field process.

West Indies are a test playing nation, and a potentially great one at that, they should be able to step in with some financial assistace... it's for the good of the game. The same can be said for Zimbabwe.

The ICC need to start to take a stand and not let themselves be dictated to (by India, Australia or England). They often go soft on important issues and a hazy issues (bowling actions, tour schedules, technology, Ricky's Bat....). The only real area they've made peogress on is Match Fixing.