• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would your nation's Test XI look like if they had to implement a Bazball philosophy?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, 2 of the Tests they've lost have also been down to a dumb declaration and needlessly enforcing a follow on. Now you could argue this is also an element of Bazball, but it highlights again that they're not simply getting blown away and losing meekly in Tests like they had been previously.
You take the good and the bad with an aggressive approach. Without the element of risk, England are still the meek side who won, what, one Test of the past 17 when Baz took over? And there's been more good than bad.

In regards to the needless follow on (the Basin Test) some times we get bogged down in analysing the decision-making when it shouldn't be ignored that they just didn't bat and bowl well enough in the second innings.

Molehill

International Captain
In regards to the needless follow on (the Basin Test) some times we get bogged down in analysing the decision-making when it shouldn't be ignored that they just didn't bat and bowl well enough in the second innings.
That maybe true, but there's still zero chance they lose that Test had they decided to bat on the flat pitch in the 3rd innings.

You'd like to think these kind of errors will allow them to slightly rein in Bazball in the future and apply some common sense....

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That maybe true, but there's still zero chance they lose that Test had they decided to bat on the flat pitch in the 3rd innings.

You'd like to think these kind of errors will allow them to slightly rein in Bazball in the future and apply some common sense....
Yes, absolutely - as effective as the approach has been, there has and will be errors that need to be learned from and the approach moulded over time.

PEWS has me as a Baz sycophant but honestly I don't think I am, I didn't actually rate him much before 2012 or so. But I love him as a leader. The first Test win in India showed that the approach isn't just huff and puff and blow your house down - there was a lot of thinking about how to play in those conditions against the spinners in particular. Baz is an intelligent guy who knows batting, and for sure knows people.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jake Fraser-McGurk
Travis Head
Steve Smith
Mitch Marsh
Matthew Short
Glenn Maxwell
Josh Inglis
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon