• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would be the all-time rankings for all teams?

subshakerz

International Coach
Assuming you were to create a ranking for all non-minnow teams on how overall successful you believe they were in their history based on the standards they generally maintained once they left minnow status, what would be your test and ODI rankings?

Please do not refer to the cumulative result list and copy all your rankings based on there.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Tests -

1. Aus

2. SA ~ Eng

4. Ind ~ Pak ~ WI

7. SL ~ NZ

(For teams in same tier I believe they are roughly equivalent, but have put them in left to right order if forced to rank)

ODIs (Without/With special consideration for World Cups) -

1.Aus / Aus
2. SA / Ind
3. Eng / WI
4. Ind / SA
5. Pak / Eng
6. NZ / Pak
7. WI / SL
8. SL / NZ

subshakerz

International Coach
Tests -

1. Aus

2. SA ~ Eng

4. Ind ~ Pak ~ WI

7. SL ~ NZ

(For teams in same tier I believe they are roughly equivalent, but have put them in left to right order if forced to rank)

ODIs (Without/With special consideration for World Cups) -

1.Aus / Aus
2. SA / Ind
3. Eng / WI
4. Ind / SA
5. Pak / Eng
6. NZ / Pak
7. WI / SL
8. SL / NZ
Thanks yes I think WCs should be considered.

I have SA ahead of England in tests.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Kind of agree with the above, however I'd bump WI a spot or two because of their level of dominance when peaking.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
Tests (alongside roughly the time I think they stopped being minnows) :

1. Australia (1890s)
  2. South Africa (1930s)
  3. England (1877)
  4. West Indies (1950s)
  5. India (1970s)
  6. Pakistan (1970s)
  7. New Zealand (1970s)
  8. Sri Lanka (1990s)

ODIs:
  1. Australia
  2. India
  3. South Africa
  4. West Indies
  5. England
  6. Pakistan
  7. Sri Lanka
  8. New Zealand
South Africa is so low due to thier kinda pathetic WC record.

Coronis

International Coach

1. Australia (1890s)
  2. South Africa (1930s)
  3. England (1877)
  4. West Indies (1950s)
  5. India (1970s)
  6. Pakistan (1970s)
  7. New Zealand (1970s)
  8. Sri Lanka (1990s)

ODIs:
  1. Australia
  2. India
  3. South Africa
  4. West Indies
  5. England
  6. Pakistan
  7. Sri Lanka
  8. New Zealand
I found this interesting. I don’t think either team was ever a minnow.

subshakerz

International Coach

1. Australia (1890s)
  2. South Africa (1930s)
  3. England (1877)
  4. West Indies (1950s)
  5. India (1970s)
  6. Pakistan (1970s)
  7. New Zealand (1970s)
  8. Sri Lanka (1990s)

ODIs:
  1. Australia
  2. India
  3. South Africa
  4. West Indies
  5. England
  6. Pakistan
  7. Sri Lanka
  8. New Zealand
I think Pakistan is better than England and WI in ODIs. WI have been a pretty ordinary ODI team the last 30 years.

subshakerz

International Coach
😔😔😔😔. I can't even argue against these rankings. And the saddest part is by the end of this decade, WI will likely slide even lower in both formats.
Cricket was just less interesting once the WIs began to decline.

At least when Pakistan declined, India rose as a torchbearer from the SC.

capt_Luffy

I found this interesting. I don’t think either team was ever a minnow.
I think the Australian team for the first decade that lost around 12 games and won 2 we're almost minnow level. They had two of the World's best bowlers and the best wicketkeeper, but thier batting seems to be weaker than the average County side back then.

capt_Luffy

SL at #7 is laughable. We won WC once and was on couple of finals and couple of semi finals. Easily better than England, Pakistan and New Zealand.
Ah yes, England or Pakistan neither won a WC nor were runner-ups; and definitely NZ isn't the team to jointly play the most WC Semi Finals.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think Pakistan is better than England and WI in ODIs. WI have been a pretty ordinary ODI team the last 30 years.
It feels like that, but England's ODI record is actually surprisingly decent most of the time. Pak vs WI is a matter of taste I guess, WI got an extra cup so one could end up arguing either way really.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Ah yes, England or Pakistan neither won a WC nor were runner-ups; and definitely NZ isn't the team to jointly play the most WC Semi Finals.
Is it just me, or WC semi should really not even be considered much of an accomplishment? There are 8 decent teams, you have to basically win one 50-50 match to get in the semis.

capt_Luffy

Is it just me, or WC semi should really not even be considered much of an accomplishment? There are 8 d decent eams, you have to basically win one 50-50 match to get in the semis.
Depends. 50-50 is pretty good though, definitely not poor. NZ has made the Semis more times than any of those other 7 teams except Australia (jointly). That's a pretty good achievement imo and shows their consistency of being regularly in the top half.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Depends. 50-50 is pretty good though, definitely not poor. NZ has made the Semis more times than any of those other 7 teams except Australia (jointly). That's a pretty good achievement imo and shows their consistency of being regularly in the top half.
yeah but conversely, losing all but one of these games also shows something, although idk what.

capt_Luffy

yeah but conversely, losing all but one of these games also shows something, although idk what.
Two. They played two WC Finals. Probably that they are most often among the top half of teams, but rarely the very best. I can think of only the 92 Kisi team as favorites in any WC.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ make it to the semis because they don't drop games they shouldn't and then just get outplayed by a better team.