• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What now for the man in the middle?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shoaib Malik makes history by becoming the first player ever adjudged lbw by the 'third umpire', Rudi Koertzen.

It took 1 minute and 18 seconds.

Are the 'main' umpires there now just to count the balls in an over?

Kimbo

International Debutant
How interesting...
I guess we will have to wait and see just how much it will be used and what impact it will have.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
After watching replays of the incident several times, I believe that the umpire in the middle had already made up his mind that the ball would hit the sticks, but wanted confirmation as to whether it had pitched outside leg.

Fun - there was just a 6 scored - 1 for a single and 5 for hitting the helmet (which has now been despatched back to the dressing room).

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes... very interesting.

I thought I'd always been one to promote the use of technology in games - and if it meant getting the right decision, then who cares about the time it takes....

But now that batsmen are getting out for LBW but the third umpire after 1 min and 18 seconds, it just doesn't seem right.

It's just not cricket. :cry:

Are the 'main' umpires there now just to count the balls in an over?
Yes... but also to hold onto the bowlers hat and sweater... however, a bar stool would no doubt suffice.

Oh dear. :undecided:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
To tell you the truth I'm in favour of technology usage in cricket providing that: *It doesn't take a long time and 1 min. 18 sec. is a long time as it just adds to the confusion and may slow down the rythm that the game was on.
There was one ocasion when a catch was refered to the thrid umpire who took a long long time to see whether or not it touched the ground and the TV angles weren't good enough to see it...at that point you'd wonder why the umpire couldn't ask the fielder before refering the decision...this puts the 3rd umpire under pressure to call the decision, a good idea would be to refer the decision to the 3rd umpire only if the fielder is unsure whether or not he caught it cleanly. I know that some of you will argue that fielders aren't honest nowadays but if a fielder lies the public see it on TV and they think: 'old on, tha' wasn't a clean catch, it can damage the fielder's reputation and nobody would want that, so he won't lie.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I am sceptical about the LBWs and bat-pad catches being ruled by the third umpire.The camera always gives an angle which is different from what the umpire has, unless the camera is in the umpire's eyes :D And that angle can alter an LBW decision significantly.

The bat-pad catches are another area where sometimes its very hard to tell looking at the TV as to what happened.

And now as the umoires would be under pressure, they would keep referring such cases to the third umpire which would simply create a joke out there in the field with players waiting for few minutes till the umpire raises his finger or shouts "not out".

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i cant believe it LBW 3rd umps - this will not stop - umpires 2will now be restricted to junior games :cry:

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
It's a very scary thought for all umpires (myself included) to see this has come in...

BTW: Did anyone else notice that it was an Aussie who called for it for the first time??

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
This will lead to nothing but complexity, Imagine how many 'interrutptions' we could have in a single game, although the precision would be unparalleled, but how many of you think this precison is greater in magnitude than to which the game itself is played ? isn't it over magnifying a simple and beautiful game ? it just doesn't look very pretty does it?

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
It's already hard enough for umpires to concentrate for 6-8 hours a day in the field. By becoming over-reliant on the technolgy, how long will the umpires be required to be in the field for??

It's also scary to think I'm working my tail off to become an umpire and the only thing I'll be required to do on the field is hold hats and sweaters and count the balls in an over!!

[Edited on 9/13/02 by Eyes_Only]

[Edited on 9/14/02 by Eyes_Only]