• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What did Bradman think of that Windies team?

Chrish

International Debutant
I know Don very much admired Sobers, but I can’t seem to find his views on WI team post-Sobers era; especially from 70s-80s.

Do we have any source on how he felt about them and players in general from that era?

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Others here will know more, but Bradman, from his long career as a selector, was usually reluctant to compare teams and players, especially Australian ones.

The all-time team he was said to have chosen was published only after his death, which raised suspicions in some quarters.

Opinions he did express were O'Reilly as greatest bowler and Tallon as finest keeper. He also said that Graeme Pollock was the best left-handed batsman, narrowly ahead of Sobers. He considered this pair far ahead of the rest of the field. This was before Lara came on the scene.

Bradman also rated Weekes above Headley, partly because he scored much faster, and found Bedser more difficult to face than Tate although neither of the English bowlers were at their peak at the time. Tendulkar was thought to be his favourite modern batsman.

Gavaskar said Roberts and Lillee were the leading fast bowlers he faced.

Slifer

International Captain
Sunil is a hypocrite. I distinctly remember in 1994 when WI toured India 2nd test, and the Indian crowd would launch rocks etc at the WI players. Then look at Australia from the 70s, their crowds were just as hostile as wi crowds and they used to tell Lillee and Thommo to literally kill kill kill. But west Indian players sucked it up. But oh no, Sunil had to go run his big mouth. But he knew who to run it about. Great great batsman but an azz hole of a human being!!!

Slifer

International Captain
Sunil is a hypocrite. I distinctly remember in 1994 when WI toured India 2nd test, and the Indian crowd would launch rocks etc at the WI players. Then look at Australia from the 70s, their crowds were just as hostile as wi crowds and they used to tell Lillee and Thommo to literally kill kill kill. But west Indian players sucked it up. But oh no, Sunil had to go run his big mouth. But he knew who to run it about. Great great batsman but an azz hole of a human being!!!
Oh and let me say Sunil is a complete liar, talking about wi never showed appreciation to Indian players. There's literally a calypso about west Indian respect for Indian players and especially him:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Lad slapped ****, L argument.
Lad bashed weaker teams, was easily the worst of the 3 against the two stronger teams of the era. Not saying he is the worst of the 3, I’d likely go Walcott, Weekes, Worrell, but there’s definitely an argument to be made imo.

shortpitched713

International Captain
It's tough, because in those days we're always dealing with irregular Test schedules and smaller sample sizes. There's "eye test" going on here too, but I'm pretty confident with him as the best of 3 Ws, and the best of the pre professional era, other than Sobers (obviously Bradman too) .

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It's tough, because in those days we're always dealing with irregular Test schedules and smaller sample sizes. There's "eye test" going on here too, but I'm pretty confident with him as the best of 3 Ws, and the best of the pre professional era, other than Sobers (obviously Bradman too) .
Wait the best West Indian batsman or overall batsman?