• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies: A call for euthanasia

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slifer said:
FOR me WI are just 3 decent bowlers away from being competitive again. i think 3 decent bowlers is the ideal formula to be a successful team ( 4 decent bowlers is just icing on the cake). i cite many times especially in the 80s when WI were shot out for 250 odd and they came back and won by an innings. at the end of the day baby steps are what i want for now. And as far as i can see we will probably continue to be thrashed for the near future but we'll turn the corner eventually.
As far as I'm concerned, we've already got one decent bowler. Corey Collymore is quality. Not world class yet, but leagues ahead of our other bowlers, except for a fit Collins perhaps.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slifer said:
ok then one down 2 more to go any suggestions?
Darren Powell is quite good. A bit more discipline. Edwards and Best can both improve and the three could add up to form a good attack 3-5 years later. And Bravo is there too for at least support if not more!

I have mentioned this point earlier, the current younger players would be playing FC cricket had they been in most other test nations. They are getting very valuable international experience right now which can help the Windies become quite a good side in the future years.

Slifer

International Captain
a little bit more time in the middle then i guess. and i do hope that the curators in the WI take this cue and stop preparing flat wickets like in Antigua. Our bowlers need sumthing to work with even if such tactics backfire every now and then.

Mr Mxyzptlk

England showed us that we can't just start preparing bowler-friendly Test match wickets without first knowing how to bat on them. An overhaul of the pitch preparation needs to start at domestic level.

Regarding Powell, I agree. He's had to do a lot this year - his first full year of international cricket - being the only bowler to play every Test match for the West Indies this year. It's been evidently difficult, and has shown that he needs to improve his fitness drastically, but he has shown that he does have what it takes. Now we just wait to see if he can take the next step.

Edwards has actually impressed me a fair bit in this series. He hasn't taken wickets, but he's looked like taking wickets more often than the last time he ventured overseas. He's also gotten the ball to reverse far more often than I've ever seen him, which is a good sign. He should be partnered with Collymore to learn a bit more. Ideally, I'd prefer for him to do his learning in domestic cricket, but we can't really afford that at the moment.

Tino Best seems to have taken huge strides backward since earlier this year. He started questionably in Sri Lanka, but really seemed to be finding himself by the end of the series. However, on this tour he's seemed like an easy target for anyone who fancies himself at all. He needs to play as much of the Carib Cup as possible. He also needs to take a good 30+ wickets before I'd recall him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tino Best seems to have taken huge strides backward since earlier this year. He started questionably in Sri Lanka, but really seemed to be finding himself by the end of the series. However, on this tour he's seemed like an easy target for anyone who fancies himself at all. He needs to play as much of the Carib Cup as possible. He also needs to take a good 30+ wickets before I'd recall him.
I saw Best in the President's Cup final. He was bowling no balls and wides and got animated when hit and could not achieve much with the ball. He has to learn that nothing except discipline with the ball will get him wickets.

I hope he can learn from the set backs he is having and learns and comes out a stronger bowler because he is talented like the others I mentioned. I agree that he should be put back to the domestic grind for the moment. Reality checks never hurt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Potentially, yes. The problem is that Collins can't stay fit, Powell needs to get fitter, and Bravo isn't quite there yet. Collymore is the closest we have to a complete bowler.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
I have a family friend who has been going to Jamaica on holidays since the late 70's and he was telling me back then cricket was the number one sport and ruled the area, but now there is the growing influence of Football, Basketball and other sports in the area which means a lack of interest in cricket these days from some of the younger generations, surely this has something to do with the decline in West Indies cricket.

But on the subject on current WI players Collymore looks to me the sort of guy who could take tons of wickets in English county cricket on seaming pitches. I'm a big fan of this guy.

SupaFreak2005

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He's still in the process of isolating the players he believes will be the future of West Indies cricket - Samuels, Dwayne Smith (questionable), Ramdin, Bravo, Edwards, Daren Powell, Devon Smith
Future doesn't look bright.