• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to the Mathew Sinclair Live Chat - 22nd June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi Matt,

Suneer here, I am an Indian cricket writer and followed the Indian team in New Zealand earlier this year.

What I was very surprised to find was that the pitches in New Zealand were very different from what one has come to expct from them, hardly the green, swinging ones, which apparently scare most of the batsmen away, most of all, the Indians.

Is that a pre-concieved strategy to have longer test matches or was it under the pressure of the BCCI or plain bad groundsmen?

Regards,
Suneer

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Hi Mathew,

During the radio cricket coverage here in Australia last summer, Damien Fleming made mention of the Australian side decided to target you on their tour of NZ in 1999/00. How severe and personalised was it, and have you gone through anything like that in your cricket career since?
i guess that all started when i did what i did scoring my debut for nz , to be honest i havent gone through anything like that before but in saying that the aussies like coming out with a lot of those comments and must admit it works for them and sometimes it doesnt

What's your favourite form of cricket?
test cricket i would say my record is better in that

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your time.

My question is,

Daniel Vettori is a hard working bowler and captain, who do you think is a better captain? Daniel Vettori or Stephan Fleming?

Thanks a lot :)
hard one to answer i mean they both have very good strong points and of course both do two different skills in my personal opinion i found flem the best captain that i have played with

The Legend

Cricket Spectator
hard one to answer i mean they both have very good strong points and of course both do two different skills in my personal opinion i found flem the best captain that i have played with
Thanks for the reply Matt. One more thing I would like to ask from you. Who do you think is the all time best all-rounder for the New Zealand team? New Zealand is always popular because of their high quality all-rounders.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Hey mate,

You mention Stephen Fleming before, and a lot of cricketting pundits and fans alike rate him as one of the finest captains of the modern era. In your opinion, what is it that made Fleming such a highly regarded captain even when the team didn't necessarily have the world beating record to show for it?
his calming influence and i believe in his team..always put others before himself
What do you do during rain delays in matches? I know that the Aussie team play cards. What do the kiwis do in delays?
play cards and talk to opposition team mates and always a good amount of banter flying around:laugh:

Mathew, you have took one stumping in first class cricket. Do you know who you stumped? :P
to be honest i cant remember

Hi Matt,

Suneer here, I am an Indian cricket writer and followed the Indian team in New Zealand earlier this year.

What I was very surprised to find was that the pitches in New Zealand were very different from what one has come to expct from them, hardly the green, swinging ones, which apparently scare most of the batsmen away, most of all, the Indians.

Is that a pre-concieved strategy to have longer test matches or was it under the pressure of the BCCI or plain bad groundsmen?

Regards,
Suneer
to be honest it all came down to making the indians feel at home, that as well as some very good weather which made the wickets very flat "when the sun is out its time to bat" is a quote here in nz

Gilly_da_gr8

Cricket Spectator
Matt,

1. Who do you think is the most dangerous bowler to face now?
2. Which bowler made you feel hard to make strokes easily?
3. Who is your favorite batsman?
4. Who is your favorite fielder?
5. Which is your favorite ground?

Old Mate

Cricket Spectator
During your last chat I asked a question that you weren't able to answer as you ran out of time, I am hoping tonight will be slightly different.

My question is, when visiting foreign countries do you stray from their infidel foods (I'm talking Indian and English food here) and stick to our superior types of food like kangaroo, pig skin, the male hermaphrodite and KFC?

I look forward to your reply.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Thanks for the reply Matt. One more thing I would like to ask from you. Who do you think is the all time best all-rounder for the New Zealand team? New Zealand is always popular because of their high quality all-rounders.
chris cairns purely for his hitting ability and no fear attitude as well as some stunning bowling performances against the best

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Matt,

1. Who do you think is the most dangerous bowler to face now?
2. Which bowler made you feel hard to make strokes easily?
3. Who is your favorite batsman?
4. Who is your favorite fielder?
5. Which is your favorite ground?

1) murali
2)
chris harris
3)
tendulkar
4)
jonty rhodes
5)
basin reserve and pukekura park

During your last chat I asked a question that you weren't able to answer as you ran out of time, I am hoping tonight will be slightly different.

My question is, when visiting foreign countries do you stray from their infidel foods (I'm talking Indian and English food here) and stick to our superior types of food like kangaroo, pig skin, the male hermaphrodite and KFC?

I look forward to your reply.
steak eggs and chips has always been a good one for me mate

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
Any good stories you can tell us while on tour? Team mates muckin around or anything like that?

Have you ever thought about playing IPL? What do you think you need to do so you can get back into the test team?

Thanks heaps, mate for answering all these questions. All the best in the rest of your career.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Any good stories you can tell us while on tour? Team mates muckin around or anything like that?

Have you ever thought about playing IPL? What do you think you need to do so you can get back into the test team?

Thanks heaps, mate for answering all these questions. All the best in the rest of your career.
mate the best thing that i can say is get my book that i am coming out with at the end of the year and hopefully all your questions will be answered in that...cheers

brockley

International Captain
Whats you view matt of the 20/20 comp with s africa,nz and aust sides 2010/11 southern cross competition i think forget its name.
Are you keen to play i think their will be 2 kiwi sides in it.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Mat, your a legend. You average more than WG Grace in FC and Test cricket. Anyway, do you still have international aspirations or are you looking to wind things up after your benefit season?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We've seen 1001 different Test opening combinations for New Zealand in recent times. Every time you look to be finding a viable partner for the established opener, the established opener drops off in his performances and finds himself dropped to start the vicious cycle all over again with the "viable partner" assuming the "established opener" role, etc etc.

Who do you think should be opening the batting for New Zealand in Test cricket?

Flem274*

123/5
Matt, whaddya think about Mitchell McClennaghan?

Everyone on the forum knows I think he's....not so good, but his name has been bandied around as a possible on both here and other NZ media. His record now is obviosuly poor and he and Sherlock between them must have given you a few run rate headaches, but obviously you must see something there in the guy. He has good pace, bounce etc. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his development, whether he's worth picking now for the Black Caps and what he could end up like? Cheers.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
Whats you view matt of the 20/20 comp with s africa,nz and aust sides 2010/11 southern cross competition i think forget its name.
Are you keen to play i think their will be 2 kiwi sides in it.
good concept i think we need more good teams like these to make us better , mate would love to be involved in this i am enjoying my cricket at the moment and want to be around for a while:)

Mat, your a legend. You average more than WG Grace in FC and Test cricket. Anyway, do you still have international aspirations or are you looking to wind things up after your benefit season?
the thing is my benefit doesnt mean that i end it there i want to keep going strong and still have a great desire to play for nz whether that happens is debateable so i guess i just keep doing what i do best and put pressure on those that make the decisions:)

Polo23

International Debutant
On the last tour of South Africa (I think it was the last tour anyway) you played in the ODI series. I remember one of the game you held our batting together and then at the death got nailed in the head by an Ntini bouncer. You then proceeded to charge down the pitch and smash him for 4 and then 6 (I think..memory a little fuzzy here). I thought it took some quite massive balls to charge down the pitch after being smashed in the head on a fairly quick deck against a quality bowler, what was going through your head? What prompted you to charge down the pitch? Anger?

It was gold anyway. Good luck to you and CD for the upcoming season.

Mathew Sinclair

International Cricketer
We've seen 1001 different Test opening combinations for New Zealand in recent times. Every time you look to be finding a viable partner for the established opener, the established opener drops off in his performances and finds himself dropped to start the vicious cycle all over again with the "viable partner" assuming the "established opener" role, etc etc.

Who do you think should be opening the batting for New Zealand in Test cricket?
i still think persist with how and another left handed opener possibly either flynn or keep having a go with mackintosh

Matt, whaddya think about Mitchell McClennaghan?

Everyone on the forum knows I think he's....not so good, but his name has been bandied around as a possible on both here and other NZ media. His record now is obviosuly poor and he and Sherlock between them must have given you a few run rate headaches, but obviously you must see something there in the guy. He has good pace, bounce etc. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his development, whether he's worth picking now for the Black Caps and what he could end up like? Cheers.
really good talent and find for the stags this year was mitch is currently injured but a guy that will give you heaps with the ball and is quite sharp..lacks a bit of accuracy but that will come given time in first class and a good standard of cricket to develop his game..not the right time i feel to pick him not just yey give him more time at first class

Gilly_da_gr8

Cricket Spectator
Matt,
What do you think you should do to get back into the national side?
If you were granted an opportunity to join the IPL, which team do you opt to join?
What do you think about Jesse Ryder?

Status
Not open for further replies.