• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WCL - Global Division 5, Jersey May 2008

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Nepal 238-7 (50.0 overs)
Mozambique 19 all out (14.5 overs)
that must be embarasing....Mahaboob Alam took all ten wickets.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ouch at Norway result :(

Jersey bt Japan
Singapore bt Botswana (lost seven wickets chasing 184)
Afghanistan bowled out Bahamas for 46 (but lost five wickets)

So yeah, Norway need to beat Nepal to have a shout of qualifying for the World Cup. Really wouldn't have minded swapping groups with Jersey though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
WCL to Expand to Eight Divisions...
Wow.

The good thing about this system is that you can promote past more than one league in one year, so, say, China wouldn't be stuck low down for 20 years. In Europe it's much slower, hopefully they'll change to the WCL system soon.

Not sure what "WCL Division Six: Four teams to be determined according to results in 2008 Division Five and recent regional tournaments, 1st and 2nd from 2009 Division Seven" means though. Maybe the team placing (5th thru 8th, as top four are going to be in Div 4 or relegated to Div 5) gives a spot for its region, and they then have to play against the regionmates to defend them. Seems rather moot for Norway though, as long as they finish fifth or sixth - they'll be the first European team anyway as they promoted in 2006 and can't finish worse than Jersey or Germany (though Jersey could make it to Div 5 with their easier group).

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow.

The good thing about this system is that you can promote past more than one league in one year, so, say, China wouldn't be stuck low down for 20 years. In Europe it's much slower, hopefully they'll change to the WCL system soon.

Not sure what "WCL Division Six: Four teams to be determined according to results in 2008 Division Five and recent regional tournaments, 1st and 2nd from 2009 Division Seven" means though. Maybe the team placing (5th thru 8th, as top four are going to be in Div 4 or relegated to Div 5) gives a spot for its region, and they then have to play against the regionmates to defend them. Seems rather moot for Norway though, as long as they finish fifth or sixth - they'll be the first European team anyway as they promoted in 2006 and can't finish worse than Jersey or Germany (though Jersey could make it to Div 5 with their easier group).
I would also like to see a second tier added to the Intercontinental Cup.

Uganda, Nepal and USA all had a go in 2004. Throw in Afghanistan, Denmark and three other Associates and we are good to go.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
That should be a decent thing... The winner to qualify to first tier & the bottom one from first relegated to second....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Its ok mate, Nepal are definetly a better team then Norway anyday.... We want the best one's to qualify right?
Nah. Would love to have seen Norway at the World Cup. Nepal, meh. :p

Need to win against Mozambique & Germany to stay in Div 5, it would seem.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
ICC should also start T20 World qualifiers same way as World Cricket League or atleast for the top 12 Non Test Playing Nations...

Even there is a req for the Intercontinental cup to expand to two tier:

Intercontinental Cup - Div 1:
1) Ireland
2) Kenya
3) Namibia
4) Scotland
5) Netherlands
6) Canada
7) Winner from Div 2
8) Runner Up from Div 2.

Intercontinental Cup - Div 2:
1) UAE
2) Bermuda
3) Nepal
4) Denmark
5) Afghanistan/Oman/Uganda/Hongkong
6) USA

Top 2 qualify to Div 1. All div 1 matches 2 be played home & away basis.

Last edited:

Efaz

U19 12th Man
I sincerely hope today's defeat will teach Afghans a lesson in humility. Hopefully they won't talk about beating Bangladesh or Zimbabwe anytime soon.

haroon510

International 12th Man
I sincerely hope today's defeat will teach Afghans a lesson in humility. Hopefully they won't talk about beating Bangladesh or Zimbabwe anytime soon.
they lost a match.. i can't find it in cricinfo.. can u provide the scorecard plz?

i am afghan and i support afghan team.. i agree with you though

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but I'll just be the captain and pick myself anyway. And the rest of the team can't complain; we speak different languages...