• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wat evr hapnd 2 Merv Dillon

kegman

Cricket Spectator
why didn`t edwards play in tha 1 dayas, with his pace, he could knock over any side, dosnt he bowl round the 150km, and is best faster or slower than him. and wats funny bout clayton lamberts batting style, ive never heard of him b4. also, wats hapnd 2 w hinds, did he just get booted ou or sumthin.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
He got struck by lightning. IMO i think he doesn't have a role to play esp if WI is looking to youth.
Looking - almost - exclusively to youth doesn't seem to be working all that well though.

Of the young bowlers called up over the last couple of years we've had numerous injury problems (Best, Edwards, Rampaul, Powell?, Lawson, Taylor), dodgy actions (Lawson, Washington) and, of course, major problems with regard to consistency of performance, as you'd expect with inexperienced players.

I'd prefer to see at least two of the more experienced players in Collins, Dillon and Collymore in the side. Dillon would be my 2nd choice ahead of Collymore.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Collins and Collymore are already in the side.It makes no sense to have Dillon in there as he has not really done anything when he's been in the side.You don't want the younger guys to follow his example.Collymore when he's had enough game time before can bowl good spells and show that with some accuracy you can cause problems not just using pace.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
roseboy64 said:
Collins and Collymore are already in the side.It makes no sense to have Dillon in there as he has not really done anything when he's been in the side.You don't want the younger guys to follow his example.Collymore when he's had enough game time before can bowl good spells and show that with some accuracy you can cause problems not just using pace.
But isn't Merv's record better than the other two (can't be bothered to check)?.

He's infuriatingly inconsistent and can appear to be very casual, but at his best (e.g. for much of the last home series against India and during an excellent spell in the 2nd inns of the historic Antigua win over the Aussies) he's far more penetrative than Collymore. Dillon can generate good pace, gets naturally high bounce (something the Windies particularly missed on the uneven pitches in the home series v England) and, from what I can recall, had a decent off-cutter. He's also a better batsmen than most of the other quicks and, when he's "switched on" (insert lightning joke here), an unexpectedly athletic fielder.

Collymore's reputation as a test bowler seems to be based exclusively on 2 home tests against Sri Lanka and a perception that he's "unlucky".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shall we let it suffice to say that none of the bowlers - old or young - are much better than the others?
That's the way I see it. And any potential there is only going to be applied if the work-ethic takes a turn for the better.

shaka

International Regular
An offset to the thread question would be what ever happened to the likes of Otis Gibson, and Nixon McLean? both have had some good performances in England, and they would really help to transform some of the existing bowlers and hopefully improve them so that West Indies can at least compete on the world stage. Otis got four wickets a couple of games ago, while Nixon got a five for in that same week.

I wonder if the selectors have even heard about these solid performances by two former internationals who are not that old!

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
shaka said:
An offset to the thread question would be what ever happened to the likes of Otis Gibson, and Nixon McLean? both have had some good performances in England, and they would really help to transform some of the existing bowlers and hopefully improve them so that West Indies can at least compete on the world stage. Otis got four wickets a couple of games ago, while Nixon got a five for in that same week.

I wonder if the selectors have even heard about these solid performances by two former internationals who are not that old!
McLean isn't good enough. When I saw him play for the Windies he tended to bowl too short for someone who isn't especially quick. Haven't seen much of Gibson.

shaka

International Regular
Somebody like them at least who has a bit of international experience and could help the young stars for West Indies
these stats from cricinfo: Gibson
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Test 2 4 0 93 37 23.25 53.44 0 0 0 0
ODI: 15 11 1 141 52 14.10 102.17 0 1 3 0
McLean:
Test 19 32 2 368 46 12.26 49.86 0 0 5 0
ODI: 45 34 8 314 50* 12.07 81.98 0 1 8 0
Gibson bowling
O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Test:78.4 9 275 3 91.66 2-81 0 0 157.3 3.49
ODI: 123.1 8 621 34 18.26 5-40 2 2 21.7 5.04
McLean Bowling:
Test:549.5 85 1873 44 42.56 3-53 0 0 74.9 3.40
ODI: 353.2 18 1729 46 37.58 3-21 0 0 46.0 4.89

sorry for making it look confusing, hopefully you get the gist of the stats

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
shaka said:
Somebody like them at least who has a bit of international experience and could help the young stars for West Indies
these stats from cricinfo: Gibson
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Test 2 4 0 93 37 23.25 53.44 0 0 0 0
ODI: 15 11 1 141 52 14.10 102.17 0 1 3 0
McLean:
Test 19 32 2 368 46 12.26 49.86 0 0 5 0
ODI: 45 34 8 314 50* 12.07 81.98 0 1 8 0
Gibson bowling
O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Test:78.4 9 275 3 91.66 2-81 0 0 157.3 3.49
ODI: 123.1 8 621 34 18.26 5-40 2 2 21.7 5.04
McLean Bowling:
Test:549.5 85 1873 44 42.56 3-53 0 0 74.9 3.40
ODI: 353.2 18 1729 46 37.58 3-21 0 0 46.0 4.89

sorry for making it look confusing, hopefully you get the gist of the stats
Just about made them out mate. I agree that we need to involve more experienced players, but I think Dillon and (if he's fit and in some kind of form) Reon King are better bets. Perhaps even Cameron Cuffy.

Craig

World Traveller
I think the chances of either Gibson, McLean, or Cuffy playing for the WI again are very very very slim.

Is Cuffy still playing FC cricket?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
I think the chances of either Gibson, McLean, or Cuffy playing for the WI again are very very very slim.

Is Cuffy still playing FC cricket?
Either last season or the one before I remember him making a great start to the domestic competition, statistically speaking at least, but then picked up an injury. In my opinion, he'd do as good a stock bowler job as Collymore.

kegman

Cricket Spectator
there`s no point in bringin, cuffy mclean ect back, edwards and best are better than them already so why not concentrate on them. plus isnt grenege (sp) and loyd suppose 2 have half decents sons, where are they playing.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
kegman said:
there`s no point in bringin, cuffy mclean ect back, edwards and best are better than them already so why not concentrate on them. plus isnt grenege (sp) and loyd suppose 2 have half decents sons, where are they playing.
Saw Carl Greenidge bowling for Northants (?) in a 1-dayer this week. He appeared to be very much military medium, not sure about his batting or whether he'd intend playing for the West Indies. Don't know about Lloyd's son.

I'm not necessarily advocating bringing back a lot of older players - and certainly not McLean - but I think it's useful to have at least a couple of relatively experienced bowlers in the side.

I don't think Best and Edwards are better than Dillon at this stage. They clearly have a lot potential, both are able to generate genuine 90mph+ pace, but at the moment are very erratic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Is it me or does Merv Dillon's action is/was similar to that of Courtney Walsh?
Uncannily similar in some parts, from front-on frozen angles anyway, but I've never been able to see any similarity on moving pictures from behind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:

Gibson is too old - apparently he's only playing now after coming out of retirement. I can't believe he's going to be playing for that much longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kegman said:
Carl Greenidge is certainly not even half-decent, he's damn lucky to be playing county cricket.
Certainly it would be an insult to compare him to Cuffy, McLean or any other bowler who's proven a good bowler in domestic cricket.