• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram vs Allan Donald

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
They also felt Wasim was better than McGrath. They’re biased and wrong.
Sometimes surely, but I think McGrath and Steve Smith are kinda extreme cases. They aren't flashy and when they play you hardly get the impression of their effectiveness without looking at the results. Heck, McGrath was considered kinda a 'sidekick' to Warne for a majority of their careers.....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Rep said Lillee was better than Hadlee, Wasim was better than McGrath. Rep is extremely biased and wrong. And that doesn't even include the conflation between Wasim's test and odi record.

That being said, this is the easiest comp of all of the recent ones. Donald comfortably better than Wasim for me

subshakerz

International Coach
Rep said Lillee was better than Hadlee, Wasim was better than McGrath. Rep is extremely biased and wrong. And that doesn't even include the conflation between Wasim's test and odi record.

That being said, this is the easiest comp of all of the recent ones. Donald comfortably better than Wasim for me
Rep isnt gospel, it is one measure like record that has to be contextualized. In Lillee's case, it is established that coming earlier without competition inflated his rep slightly.

Donald has the worst rep of any ATG top tier tho. It isn't just about timing. He lacked something.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Donald was better at home than Wasim was at his(far better WPM, better SR and average as well). Wasim was better in Aus, Donald far better in Eng and better in WI. Additionally Wasim was magnificent in NZ and very good in SL. Wasim struggled in Ind tho. Donald slightly overall.

subshakerz

International Coach
Donald was better at home than Wasim was at his(far better WPM, better SR and average as well). Wasim was better in Aus, Donald far better in Eng and better in WI. Additionally Wasim was magnificent in NZ and very good in SL. Wasim struggled in Ind tho. Donald slightly overall.
Wasim record is affected by him debuting extraordinarily early and doing ok for a teenager in Eng, WI and Ind. I therefore don't think he should be judged by just a surface stats reading.

BazBall21

International Regular
I think Donald's debut age is more of an advantage for batsmen and spin bowlers than it is for fast bowlers generally. But Wasim often seems to miss out on leeway for starting as a teenager for some reason.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim record is affected by him debuting extraordinarily early and doing ok for a teenager in Eng, WI and Ind. I therefore don't think he should be judged by just a surface stats reading.
Donald’s record is affected by him debuting at extraordinarily late at 25 and doing poorly as an old man vs an ATG team 10 years later. I therefore don’t think he should be judged by just a surface stats reading.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
in Eng, he had one good series, but in all other 3 series was far from good. Donald was definitely better in Eng. India granted, he wad good in the 2 match series and decent in the Asia Championship match. So overall decent in Ind. And Wi, he was decent for a teenager in the first series, but bad in the 2nd(this is what makes pulls his record there in the wrong direction), and although good in 3rd, it was against a poor lineup. So decent in WI, but I'd go Donald in WI as well.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Going Donald here. Better for both average, and as a strike bowler. Wasim's relative longevity cannot make up for that gap.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Record matters more, but I respect how the opposition rated the player they faced as they actually had to deal with him as opposed to us on a keyboard.

If virtually everyone who faced Wasim and Donald felt Wasim was better, I factor that in. Feels wrong to ignore it.
Who explicitly said that Wasim was better than Donald?

Jumno

U19 Captain
Just Donald. Many Donald Vs threads popping up now.

I just wished the umpire raised his finger when Wasim got Langer out in Hobart 99. Would've been a match winning wicket which he did get him out.