• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was this played picked in the 2001 ashes

Jumno

U19 Captain
I could be wrong and looking at the U Afzaal's stats leading up to the 2001 ashes in domestic cricket which I've checked the scorecards didn't look impressive.

Essentially what qualities did the selectors recognise or what did he exhibit in the county championship to warrant his place in the batting line up?

Nothing against him, curious.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
This from Crapinfo probably answers your question.

A ccoky, bare-knuckle batsman, Usman Afzaal caught the eye in June 2000 with a vicious 151 against Worcestershire, specifically Glenn McGrath. A year later, in the middle of an England finger crisis, he found himself in the team for the first Ashes Test. He failed twice, but regained his place at Headingley, hit an emotional fifty at The Oval, and was chosen for England's tour to India, where he carried the drinks with pride and good humour. But he incurred the wrath of the coach, Duncan Fletcher, when he reported in New Zealand above what was considered to be his best fighting weight and has been out of favour since.

So a ton against McGrath and injuries....

chris.hinton

International Captain
Fletcher wanted to find gems in the county system like Tres and Vaughan so i assume this was part of the thinking too

He turned up to the test in a flash car and McGrath and Warne were stunned