• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne vs Steyn (Test bowling)

Greater Test bowler?

• Dale Steyn

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

ma1978

State Captain
How is it cherry picking? I rate Warne literally one place below Steyn and an undisputed top tier ATG. But it wasn't just Lara and Sachin, every competent player of spin performed fairly well vs him and Murali.
Sri Lanka won a test series against India with Murali and Mendis, other than Sehwag had the team in bits

Warne did well against Sri Lanka and Pakistan

Bolo.

International Captain
The only thing I'll interject is this, if I'm facing an atg batting lineup like Australia and India had in the 2000s, given a choice of Warne or Steyn, I'm going with Steyn. We can argue stats til we're blue in the face but my gut tells me I can see Warne being ripped apart by either lineup more often and more easily than Steyn. Why does that matter? Because in these comparison situations, me personally, I'm considering how either player would do vs an atg lineup in relatively neutral conditions.
That's just the nature of spin vs pace though. There will never be a bat who can handle pomp pace without some luck. Spin is doable. And yet we see Warne with nearly 300 wickets more, at a higher WPM.

subshakerz

International Coach
That's just the nature of spin vs pace though. There will never be a bat who can handle pomp pace without some luck. Spin is doable. And yet we see Warne with nearly 300 wickets more, at a higher WPM.
That's our point. Spin comes with more limitations than pace in terms of overall effectiveness, though with its own benefits like doing the hard labor overs.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think one can make a solid case that Warne is a better or equal bowler to Steyn over the course of a career against medium/goodish lineups given their comparable records against Eng/SL/Pak/SA/NZ, just not top level bats or lineups. Steyn excelled against Ind and Aus much more than Warne against Ind and WI (Lara basically).

Warne had a ceiling that Steyn did not.

Last edited:

ma1978

State Captain
I think one can make a solid case that Warne is a better or equal bowler to Steyn over the course of a career against medium/goodish lineups given their comparable records against Eng/SL/Pak/SA/NZ, just not top level bats or lineups. Steyn excelled against Ind and Aus much more than Warne against Ind and WI (Lara basically).

Warne had a ceiling that Steyn did not.
fake comparison

shortpitched713

International Captain
He should definitely have a higher WPM, as a spinner, and but for some argument (mostly from James Anderson) a higher wicket total, as well, for being a spinner.

Conversely, we should expect him to have a couple points higher average, which he does, as well.

It's because all these things align as expected, and yet both are still considered superlative strike seam and attacking spin bowlers, that we have such a debatable matchup.

subshakerz

International Coach
He should definitely have a higher WPM, as a spinner, and but for some argument (mostly from James Anderson) a higher wicket total, as well, for being a spinner.

Conversely, we should expect him to have a couple points higher average, which he does, as well.

It's because all these things align as expected, and yet both are still considered superlative strike seam and attacking spin bowlers, that we have such a debatable matchup.
Steyn was averaging over 5WPM most of his career until he dipped at the end. Warne never achieved that I think. And why should we expect Warne to average higher if Murali didn't?

Coronis

International Coach
Steyn was averaging over 5WPM most of his career until he dipped at the end. Warne never achieved that I think. And why should we expect Warne to average higher if Murali didn't?
Because Murali’s home conditions were far more conducive to spin.