• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Victorian cricket

willingtonguy

Cricket Spectator
Hi

I am researching the life of a William Bobart Hawkins, who was at Lincoln College Oxford,1977-84. According to the Cricket Archive, he played for Oxford Uni Freshmen (1878), MCC 1880-1, Bryn-y-Neuadd 1884-1889, and Gentlemen of Kent 1889.

Does anyone know if any team photos exist for any of those teams, in the relevant years, that might picture him?

Also I can't find out much about Bryn-y-Neuadd except they were in the Llanfairfechan area.

Interestingly, years later, after he had retired, in 1933 he filed a patent (no 424900-A on the patent website) for a cricketing version of the bagatelle 'fire a marble' game. I wonder if anyone ever put it into production!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best wishes

Tony

Bijed

International Regular
Hi

I am researching the life of a William Bobart Hawkins, who was at Lincoln College Oxford,1977-84. According to the Cricket Archive, he played for Oxford Uni Freshmen (1878), MCC 1880-1, Bryn-y-Neuadd 1884-1889, and Gentlemen of Kent 1889.
Must have been a very mature student ;)

In an effort to be more useful I've had a look around but can't really fin anything - he seems fairly unknown? Is he an ancestor of yours or something like that? Do you have a photo of him and are just looking for him in a team photo (so could possibly upload a scan of said potential photo to help) or are you looking for a team photo because you don't have any others and this is probably the best way of finding one? I know obviously they'd be very old, but is there a chance there might be some kind of local newspaper with a team photo?

On the other hand:

Anyway, hope you can find what you're looking for!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't find any reference to him in Scores and Biographies - are you member of the ACS Tony? They have a Yahoo group/forum and there are some 24 carat tragics there, much worse than me, and I have it bad enough

willingtonguy

Cricket Spectator
I can't find any reference to him in Scores and Biographies - are you member of the ACS Tony? They have a Yahoo group/forum and there are some 24 carat tragics there, much worse than me, and I have it bad enough

Thanks so much Frefertang. I guess he was just a gifted amateur, but he is listed on the Cricket Archive, and match reports can also be found in local newspaper reports of the time, where he seems to have been a useful player.

I'm not a member of ACS, but will try them too!

Best wishes

willingtonguy

Cricket Spectator
Thanks so much Bijed. Wow, that cricket game is amazing, and so glad to find that the concept went into production.

He's not an ancestor, but I am doing local history research, and he is connected with our village. I guess he was just a good amateur player, but he does show up not only in Cricket Archive with a page of his own, but also in local newspaper reports of the time, where he seems to have been a useful team member. Local newspapers of the time rarely seemed to use photos, as they were so expensive to make and include.

I don't have a photo of him, so I was hoping that a team photo that included him, could be one way of finding one! I have looked online for team photos of the period, relating to the teams he played in, but have found nothing yet.

Best wishes and thanks.