• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan gets nasty

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
It seems half of Australia believe that Pietersen "clearly didn't take" the two catches off Martyn and Ponting even though everyone in England knows that he clearly did.
Says who? I think the Ponting one was clearly out and I don't think the Martyn one was, and I'm sure people in England agree with me, people in England think neither of them were out and people in Australia think both of them were. Just because some people have massive national bias in discussing cricket doesn't mean everybody does.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think these guys are just gaining some publicity through all this. Lara has done it all the time. I remember when Mark Waugh once claimed a very close call catch of his in the 99 Windies tour of Australia and Brian simply asked Mark if he caught it and then walked away. And then Lara claimed a catch of Langer and he didn't walk. Brian got pretty upset, IIRC. Finally, Langer was given out and Lara gave him a bit of a send off too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I think these guys are just gaining some publicity through all this. Lara has done it all the time. I remember when Mark Waugh once claimed a very close call catch of his in the 99 Windies tour of Australia and Brian simply asked Mark if he caught it and then walked away. And then Lara claimed a catch of Langer and he didn't walk. Brian got pretty upset, IIRC. Finally, Langer was given out and Lara gave him a bit of a send off too.
Yeah, well I don't think Ricky is claiming he's the only player ever to want to introduce mutual honesty into the game. Obviously there are players like Lara and Gilchrist who are known for it anyway. Obviously players like Roger Harper and Langer played for the same teams and are definately not known for their honesty.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Says who? I think the Ponting one was clearly out and I don't think the Martyn one was, and I'm sure people in England agree with me, people in England think neither of them were out and people in Australia think both of them were. Just because some people have massive national bias in discussing cricket doesn't mean everybody does.
You make my point. If the technology isn't clear enough (and like i said is actively misleading) to decide if catches are "clearly out" or not (which is why this whole 'agreement' idea came about) then how is encouraging honesty in players going to change their actions with regard to claiming catches?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
You make my point. If the technology isn't clear enough (and like i said is actively misleading) to decide if catches are "clearly out" or not (which is why this whole 'agreement' idea came about) then how is encouraging honesty in players going to change their actions with regard to claiming catches?
I'm not suggesting it will - it's not my suggestion, is it? However, I'd say Ponting thinks that if batsmen are encouraged to take the word of the fielder, fielders will be similarly encouraged not to claim a catch unless it's really out... and if there is a case where it is clearly not out and they claim it (see Roger Harper, SCG 1996 during Bevan's famous innings), they'll get a lot more fire for it having agreed to an honesty pact than otherwise.

Scallywag

Banned
Could read anything into it, but I think it was a statement from Vaughan saying we will do what we want. He's not going to make it all rosy for Ponting and would be looking to throw him a couple of curve balls.

Do you think it will affect Ponting?.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It was this comment from Ponting that got me

""It's a bit of a blight on the game that we refer them all to the third umpire."

which seems to indicate he doesn't know the rules, we don't refer them all to the 3rd umpire, only if both umpires are unsighted which is how often?

Hussain always seemed the worst culprit for NEVER walking and always waiting around. Then giving the umpire a dirty look as if he was wronged on virtually every dissmissal.

Trescothick's pretty bad too.

Spark

Global Moderator
It was this comment from Ponting that got me

""It's a bit of a blight on the game that we refer them all to the third umpire."

which seems to indicate he doesn't know the rules, we don't refer them all to the 3rd umpire, only if both umpires are unsighted which is how often?
Talking about the actual topic, this post aged pretty badly. They refer way too many of these upstairs IMO.