• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Updating player histories on KentLads database

cpr

International Coach
I've been thinking (yes, it hurts), KentLads done a fantastic job of his update, the only thing that slightly irks me is, the players are 3 years older, but most players histories are still at 2002... for players like Jones, Harmison, Strauss, Bell.... you want to put them into the international squad, you know there good enough, but it kinda spoils the fun calling up bell when it looks like he's only played 10 games...

Obviously KentLad has spent alot of time doing a kick *** database, and i reckon we could help to make it the greatest ever update if we help update player histories... so far i've noticed it can be done so long as you dont use the clear buttons... It'd be alot quicker and less tedious if we all took a small bit, rather than pushing kentlad to do it all on his own..... Unfortunatly we cant all go away, do our bit, then join it all together at the end, we would have to pass on an ongoing database to each other. However, seems were spread around the globe, there will be work going on 24/7 :)

So heres what i propose (with Kentlads permission of course, after all, he gets the final say, this is after all his little baby :))

1. I'm currently updating Lancashire (histories ONLY, i'm not editing ANYTHING else), once that is done i shall edit this post and attach the file (Original database with lancashire edited) to the bottom of this post

2. Someone interested in helping out post which team they want to edit. DO NOT START EDITING YET!

3. Once posted, check to see if yours is the first reply, if so, download the database, edit (HISTORIES ONLY PLEASE) then reattach the new file at the bottom of your post

i) If your not the first to reply, please delete your post and wait till the person who replied first has done his part, then try again.... This way we wont lose the file under pages of 'i want to do this team'..... please keep it at first to post edits. It'll save argument.

ii) Do NOT post if you cannot do what you say THERE AND THEN, otherwise you'll just hold up the process. please wait till you can devote time to it, then have a go

Ideally, i would like this thread to have this post, then every other post to go something like:

'I'll do <insert team>
---
edit: Done, file attached'

That way it'll be clear and easy to follow whats going on... I'm thinking there might have to be another thread devoted to who'll do what when it comes round to the point they can do it, or what still needs doing... so, any comments on what i've said, idea's to make it work better etc, especially from the creator of this great db, mr KentLad himself, please whack us a new thread and fire away, i'm open to all criticism :)

Also, please make sure what you've posted works, personally i'm saving every couple of edits, checking they are fine by starting a new game. I'm simulating the first match of hte season to make sure i get no errors. If it works i'm backing that save up and carrying on editing a few players, then doing the same again :)

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Well unfortunatly i'm abandoning this for now, as i'm getting an invalid integer problem when saving james anderson's figures, muralitharan, croft and law all saved fine, and that db will save again, so its not corrupt so far.... however when i try and save andersons figures i get that error..... looks like i overestimated the editor :P

Looks like this plans on ice for a while then, unless someone else has success updating a team..... It was the thought that counts (i'll leave this thread here though, so if any future editions of the editor happen to improve history editing then mebbie we can revive it....)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cpr said:
Well unfortunatly i'm abandoning this for now, as i'm getting an invalid integer problem when saving james anderson's figures, muralitharan, croft and law all saved fine, and that db will save again, so its not corrupt so far.... however when i try and save andersons figures i get that error..... looks like i overestimated the editor :P

Looks like this plans on ice for a while then, unless someone else has success updating a team..... It was the thought that counts (i'll leave this thread here though, so if any future editions of the editor happen to improve history editing then mebbie we can revive it....)
My interpretation of that is - the first three all played all four formats before so changed fine.

Anderson, however, hadn't played Tests/ODIs - so the code edit is far more complex. I'll have to get my head round it.

kof98

U19 12th Man
If it were much easier by having 1 test and 1 ODI in the record then why not, won't make much of a difference.

cpr

International Coach
by croft i mean the youngster at lancs, not robert... though yes he had played FC/list A before (i think), whereas anderson had only played list a, and i was editing all 4 types..... oh well, trial and error i suppose, only way to learn :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
kof98 said:
If it were much easier by having 1 test and 1 ODI in the record then why not, won't make much of a difference.
That's not what I said. With Anderson you go from not having a Test history, to having a Test history. That increases the file size and hence changes the indicator signals that tell the software what length the history section is.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
In an editor.

Could you make the lengths automaticly adjust, depending on how much data we insert?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's what it should do. However it doesn't work properly, which causes the confounded invalid integer errors.

kof98

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
That's not what I said. With Anderson you go from not having a Test history, to having a Test history. That increases the file size and hence changes the indicator signals that tell the software what length the history section is.
So then just ignore the fact that he has a test history, hasn't played many tests anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
kof98 said:
So then just ignore the fact that he has a test history, hasn't played many tests anyway.
Oh, look, a rusty nail, I won't put it in the bin, I'll just sweep it under the carpet...

darko21

U19 Debutant
The problem with James Anderson happened with me when i tried to do my ACC database and update Murray goodwin's stats. I found that i had to copy from another player that had played all 4 forms (and if desired 2nd xi) and then edited the stats. I did not get any problems after doing that.

cpr

International Coach
Thats actually pretty good thinking, i knew someone had managed it :)

Might try this later, though its my birthday today, so i cant be bothered doing anything bar getting slightly drunk and laughing at us tanking bangladesh... however if anyone else wants to get the ball rolling :)